Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bad voices you like anyway  (Read 8940 times)
stuco

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2006, 02:06:22 PM »

Ian Hunter.  Anyone remember Mott the Hoople?

You can turn the question around for rock music singers:  who are the ones who can really sing?  Most get along by either shouting or emoting.  I think the best singer in rock is Paul Rodgers from Bad Company and other bands.

E. Shoaf

Freddie mercury is amazing!  Also Van Morrison, Dr. John(unconventional but a great singer)
stuco

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2006, 02:09:53 PM »

afro

John Mayers voice makes me uncomfortable, I just plain don't like it, and that's a shame cuz' I really like some of his music
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2006, 09:22:03 PM »

Joe Cocker
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2006, 10:42:43 PM »

ever heard tommy emmanuel sing? YIKES! but on his song 'still cant say goodbye' he somehow makes it work....very well imo.  in his live shows he does a version of heartbreak hotel that makes cockroaches run for cover!

joe cocker is a terrible singer.

janis joplin took terrible to new levels. dreadful sounds came from that woman.

pete townsand will make you pay good money for earplugs.

dylan cant sing, but hes cool, so it doesnt matter.

i never thought johnny cash had that great of a voice, but it was dark and low, and it worked really well for what he did.

mick jagger is a lousy singer imo. i never understood how those guys made it.

ringo starr makes paint peel when he sings.

Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2006, 12:54:52 AM »

afro

John Mayers voice makes me uncomfortable, I just plain don't like it, and that's a shame cuz' I really like some of his music

I think it's his facial expression that makes you uncomfortable.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
Trent in WA

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2006, 03:34:52 AM »

An early reviewer of Dave Van Ronk said something along the lines of, "When Van Ronk sings, hogs in the next country look nervous."  That's really not a bad description.  Having said that, he really did a good job of identifying and interpreting material that suited his (gravelly and limited but highly expressive) voice.  You could say much the same for Townes Van Zandt:  not a great voice, but usually perfect for his material.

Here's another permutation on the question:  Who are some singers whose voices aren't well suited for their material?  I find myself really wanting to hear Neil Young doing a version of "Flying on the Ground Is Wrong."  Richey Furay did it on the first Buffalo Springfield album, and while I like the song, in some ways his voice is just too perfect and pretty for what is basically a completely heartbreaking song.
tubeornot2b

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2006, 09:31:04 PM »

You mean like Michael Bolton's album of Sinatra covers (or anything else he has done for that matter). Or Rod Stewart's laughable attempt at standards.
Trent in WA

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2006, 01:52:47 AM »

You mean like Michael Bolton's album of Sinatra covers (or anything else he has done for that matter). Or Rod Stewart's laughable attempt at standards.

I guess I was thinking more of people who are performing their own material. But maybe we should just let this line of discussion die.  Any thread that invokes both Michael Bolton and late-period Rod Stewart has really slipped its leash. :TON>
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2006, 05:00:37 AM »

Personally, I never liked hearing Dylan sing.

I think of him MORE of a writer than a singer.

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner! ^_^

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
rwnyc

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2006, 01:28:38 AM »

For the most part, I wouldn't even list most of these folks as bad singers - they use their voices WELL or at least distinctively (e.g., Tom Waits). 

i guess i am mainly thinking Bob Dylan, especially his later stuff - i think his voice WORKS with this stuff.  i type this listening to Modern Times for the first time, and so far, loving it . . .

and something else i'm loving . . .   

. . . these Banana Band guys!  Great!    :GRN>

damianip

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2006, 11:18:12 PM »

Joplin and Cocker were great singers. Cocker's lost a bit of power and control as he's gotten older but listen to "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" It's like Ray Charles turned up to "11".

Joplin had incredibly fine control of her voice: I refer you "Cheap Thrills": "Ball and Chain".

Great songwriter with a terrible voice: Shane MacGowan of the Pogues. Somehow, he made it work.

Another: Leonard Cohen. Lou Reed, too, but he also made it work.

Kris Kristofferson may not be great singer (or even mediocre), but he can write songs.

Paolo

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. "

Bil Mitchell HG 00 -  all Walnut
Everett Laurel O
Larri LV05MT
Larri LV09 Custom All Walnut
Larri LV-03RE-12
Larri J05
Larri SE Parlor Walnut
Tacoma C3C - peeling finish
Martin 000-17
bucky1

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2006, 12:13:54 AM »

Does anyone recall many years ago Rolling Stone did an article on Leo Kottke. I can't remember if it was the author, or Leo himself describing his voice to be like "....geese farts on a muggy day." It 's a great description, and it will always stay with me as a very clever use of English. I mean, it tells you exactly what his voice sounds like without even hearing it, and when you listen to his voice, it is exactly what you think of.

Having said that, I wouldn't say that his voice was bad. It's just his voice and the way it is.

L-03R Lefty
jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2006, 05:31:06 PM »

David Byrne-Talking Heads.   A very bad yet very compelling voice singing great songs.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2006, 05:46:38 PM »

Gee I hate finding out all my favourite singers, can't sing.  Here's some singers that I hate.

Meat Loaf
Mariah Carey
Steven Tyler
Madonna
Jon Bonjovi
Jewel
Steve Perry
The guy in Boston
Freddy Mercury
Jon Anderson
Judy Collins

sayheyjeff

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2006, 09:30:36 PM »

ducktrapper +1.  sure can't say I begged, borrowed or stole and records, tapes (or 8-tracks), or cds of anyone on that list!

jeff

Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2006, 01:48:15 PM »

Rickie Lee Jones.
I can't get enough of her. Sort of a female Mick Jagger. Sexy and street-wise, yet child-like and innocent Brassy and Brooklyn.
doit doit.
dig it.
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2006, 07:29:26 AM »

Gee I hate finding out all my favourite singers, can't sing.  Here's some singers that I hate.

Meat Loaf
Mariah Carey
Steven Tyler
Madonna
Jon Bonjovi
Jewel
Steve Perry
The guy in Boston
Freddy Mercury
Jon Anderson
Judy Collins

Dude!!! MC can sing the socks off anyone.  And Steven Tyler, common man!!!  PINK IS MA FAY-VO-RIT COLAH!!!!

You know who is absolute WORST WORST WORST live performer?? BECK.  I dotn think he can hit a single note.  Although Enrique live is like listening to pig slaughter too.  The wonder of digital ages.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2006, 11:11:14 AM »

Buck 65.

Check out "Wicked and Wierd" to know why.

Ron

Big In Japan

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2006, 08:49:19 PM »

I think Tom Waits has a great voice. He is playing his voice like an instrument. He doesn't have to sound that raspy when he doesn't want to.

Carole King on "Tapestry" has what I would call a weak voice, but the recordings are so soulful that I prefer them over re-recordings from people gifted with "better" voices. 
LawDogStrgsAttach
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2006, 09:10:13 PM »

I can understand one not having a taste for Jewel or her music, but it's not rational to say her voice is "bad."  She's actually a professionally and classically trained singer with control and range that defies her pop peers.  Her label-style limits the apex of her abilities.

McIlroy AJ30 Sitka/East Indian Rosewood
Petros Walnut Creek Grand Concert
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: