too many coincidences.....

Started by fitness1, July 19, 2006, 09:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok, so I usually plan my "attack" on Elderly's ahead of time.  I walk in knowing what I'm going to want to play from checking out the website, especially on days when I have a four hour window to get down and back like yesterday (and the drive is about 3:15 roundtrip)
Anyway, I'm dropping off my Lucida for some tweaks and then I run upstairs to take a look around the high end room for the Mahogany and Englemann R. Taylor, two Morgans (which were not on the floor) and an early Ross/Kinscherff Concert model.   I find the R. Taylor right away, and like all the GS's and both R. Taylors I've played WAY too much low end.  So I'm sitting there playing for maybe two minutes and I'm the only one in the room.   All of a sudden this guy comes up behind me and says, "have you played this one yet?"  At first, I think he's handing me a Taylor 512, then I realize it's the Kinscherff!!!  I'm thinking, OK, there's maybe another 175-200 guitars on the walls here, how in the heck did he know which one I wanted to play???
So I take it from him....the strings are brown....looks pretty decent overall, then I start to play those old brown strings and that baby was TALKIN'....I play it for about five minutes because that's all I had, then I make a mad dash for home.
I get home and check my email and hang out for about ten minutes, then I go check again and it's a note from our own Ricks telling me about his trip to the NAMM in Austin and going to Hill Country and Jamie Kinscherff's shop and how unbelievable his instruments are.....
How many builder's instruments do you think were at that show, and he comes home babblin' about the one that just knocked me out.
Needless to say, it's on hold for me and I will be making the trip again tomorrow afternoon.  It's got a 1 13/16 nut too :GRN>

http://elderly.com/vintage/names/ross-/-kinscherff-concert-%28early-1990%27s%29--20U-10278.htm

And by the way, a certain dealer in Texas that I've become friendly with just happens to have an incredible deal on a recent High Noon model......there may just be two coming my way
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

seems like a good deal on a custom piece...that wood looks like a rosewood/mahogany hybrid...very interesting!  hunduran rosewood maybe?

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

it's definitely very light in color (not so much so in person as they are using a lot of flash, I've seen their shooting room)
And it certainly didn't lack any clarity as MANY rosewoods do to my ear.  I've been in contact with Jamie a couple of times today....seems like a really nice guy.
here's the High Noon that I may have to give a run...

http://acousticpromusician.com/PDF%20files/Kinscherff_High_Noon_used.pdf
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

OK..the computer is sending info out on you so they know your coming.Ricks in on it.Their keeping track of your income and they have your picture. :GRN>

A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

There are some folks on rmmga that sing the praises of Jamie Kinscherff.  The High Noon model is mentioned a lot.
IIRC he's in Wimberly, TX, where there is an rmmga Texas gathering every October.  He either attends or gives tours of his shop, or both.

I played a lovely Kinscherff at Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island when I visited this spring.  I'm pretty sure it was not a High Noon - I think it was a 000-size (maybe OM...I should write these things down...).  Anyways it was a highlight and very impressive among some very great guitars.

Cheers,
B
============================
1998 Larrivee D-10 (Brazilian RW/Sitka)
1999 Froggy Bottom F Deluxe (Koa/Adirondack)
2003 Martin D-17 (All Mahogany)
1996 Fender USA Strat Plus
1967 Hofner President
2001 Dean USA Time Capsule V #17/50 (Cherry Sunburst)
1978 Music Man 112-65
Mesa 50 50
Rivera 212

well, I just got back from Elderly's for the second time in 48 hours.   The Ross-Kinscherff they had there had more "wrong" with it than I had the chance to see on Tuesday.   I saw a long finish crack from the bridge to the tail, but I hadn't noticed that the bridge looked to have been moved or something (the soundhole side had an area where it looked like the finish was exposed or something)    Made me a bit leary.  I've taken my hold off from that one and am trying to decide on the High Noon....I certainly haven't heard one bad word about them!!
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

I played a High Noon at Healdsburg. Sounded great! The aesthetics would take some getting used to for me, but I can't fault the result!