Taylor Excessive Marketing?

Started by drh64, April 29, 2004, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I received a new Taylor catalog this week.  Geez... if they spent half the money on more R & D as compared to what they are spending on marketing and lawyer fees I bet they could improve their product.

QuoteI received a new Taylor catalog this week.  Geez... if they spent half the money on more R & D as compared to what they are spending on marketing and lawyer fees I bet they could improve their product.
I think that what the expression system and NT Necks are about.  They make a good product overall IMHO.

This is a blatant troll post, not worthy of response.

Just being honest.  

I have owned Taylor before my Larrivee and it just seems like Larrivee does it simpler, more low-key with whole lot better results.  

If you haven't seen the publication it's worth a look.  I can guarantee you they paid a boat-load on printing costs and graphic designer fees.  I would guess a lot of money.  It's an impressive piece of marketing that is worthy of some type of response.

It is a great catalogue. They make a good product too
Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus

QuoteJust being honest.  

I have owned Taylor before my Larrivee and it just seems like Larrivee does it simpler, more low-key with whole lot better results.  

If you haven't seen the publication it's worth a look.  I can guarantee you they paid a boat-load on printing costs and graphic designer fees.  I would guess a lot of money.  It's an impressive piece of marketing that is worthy of some type of response.
They sold 70000 guitars last year.  Maybe some people's response to their marketing is to spend some cash.  therefore it would be worth it. I don't get it, it's no different than a Gibson or Chevy catalog or whatever.  
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

QuoteI received a new Taylor catalog this week.  Geez... if they spent half the money on more R & D as compared to what they are spending on marketing and lawyer fees I bet they could improve their product.
Lemme see...

- A pickup system that, with all of its initial problems is...

1) A totally new approach to the problem of amplifying acoustic guitars
2) Preserves the dynamic response of the instrument better than anything that preceeded it.
3) Provides nearly unprecedented gain before feedback.

- A revoicing of their drednoughts that...

1) Gives Taylor dreds the bass and volume of a Martin
2) Does not compromise the low comfortable Taylor action
3) Retains the clarity and shimmer of the Taylor dreds that came before it

- A revolutionary neck joint that...

1) Allows for easy, inexpensive and quick adjustment of neck/body geometry
2) Makes the old, invasive and expensive neck reset a thing of the past
3) And still manages to look like a traditional dovetail from the outside

And all of that is just in the last couple of years. Taylor has invested more R&D in "improving their products" than any other major guitar manufacturer around. Of course you have a right to not like the way the sound. That's your opinion. But Geez...if you spent half the time thinking about things before you opened your mouth, you might not come off as so uninformed.

Tim

PS - I'm in marketing, and I can assure you that the catalogs are a pretty small investment compared to the two page spreads that both Taylor and Larrivee run in Acoustic Guitar magazine monthly.

Just being honest...

Tim

It was a legit question IMO and the guy shouldn't be slammed for it.  

I have often wondered while looking at the Taylor catalogs....especially the last one....that there must be a ton of money put into it.  If they have the money, great, go for it.  They put out just about the best catalog in the business.  So, it must be paying for itself if they keep doing it.  I think it is very classy and well done.  Very trendy, that's for sure....someone really did their homework putting that one together.  

FWIW, I think Taylor makes great guitars.  The NT neck is about the coolest thing I've seen anyone come up with in modern guitar building.  The ES is a toss up at this point.  There are LOTS and LOTS of people really dissapointed with it. There are also LOTS and LOTS of people apparently happy with it. My hat's off to them for trying to break new ground at least.  They  are innovators...nothing wrong with that.  Larrivee is doing it the old-fashioned way...nothing wrong with that either.  I ended up with a Larrivee....that should tell you something about where I stand!  

Taylor is a great company making great products IMO.  More power to them.... :D  
"I would never join a club that would allow me to be a member"
 Groucho Marx

Larrivee D-03 Blackwood w/ K&K Pure Western

I like catalogs.  Taylor's is very good.  Dunno about how much they spend on attorneys.  Probably not any more or less than other companies its size.

Regarding Taylor inovations, they are well received for the most part.    Taylor makes good products.  They sell alot of guitars.  They must be doing something right.

Some, like me, haven't owned Taylors.  I prefer other brands.

Some, like me, don't think much of their Epression system.  If prefer to roll my own (again prefering other products).

Each to his own.

One of the best things about owning a Taylor (albeit an entry-level one) has been the subscription to "Wood & Steel." Good articles and info, as well as great pictures. I love my Larrivees, and probably won't buy another Taylor, but they do a good job of layout & design (as a graphic designer, I tend to notice that first). They are among the easiest guitars to play--neck & action-wise. Just because I chose Larrivees, doesn't mean I don't enjoy looking at beautiful guitars of other makes.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Taylor bashing is a popular sport on nearly all the acoustic discussion boards.  Heck, there's even some at the old (now re-named) Taylor forum.  Seems many have a love/hate relationship with those instruments.  As always, sound is in the ears of the player and there is a sure market for Taylor offerings.  I give Bob Taylor props for several things: bringing automation and efficiency to a hand-craft industry, forcing Martin and Gibson to compete with a new marketing force, and, most importantly, educating retailers and owners about proper environmental storage conditions.  Whether or not you like Taylor guitars or their marketing, you have to give Bob Taylor credit.

E. Shoaf

:huh:   I didn't think you could spend too much money on marketing?
Mike Jones

Larrivee D-03R
K&K Pure Western P/U
Seagull S 12+
Ultrasound Ag30P
ESP EC 100-QM
Webstrings Lights

I've own a couple of Taylors, I've owned a couple of Larrivees...

I really like my Larrivees! :D

This is not an endorsement, nor do I have any affiliation with either before mentioned parties.  Any similarities to any other persons living or dead is merely coincidental.  Mileage may vary, see dealer for details.  <_<  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Tim -

Your points are good ones.

But...

It's unfortunate that you feel the need to back up your arguments with such "personal" characterizations.

I have played quite a few Taylors, but I have never owned one. I do like a few of their models (514, 714).

Regardless of how you feel about Taylor's marketing strategy, or their guitars for that matter, Bob Taylor is probably partly responsible for most of you playing a Larrivee guitar.

Jean Larrivee and Bob Taylor have been friends for quite some time. Jean has no doubt taught Bob a thing or two about wood. Bob has taught Jean quite a bit about "factory style guitar building". As a result of this, Jean builds a lot more guitars then he used to. He is selling a lot more guitars than I am sure even he ever dreamed of. You are the beneficiaries of his success.

Neither Bob or Jean would talk negatively of each other. Why should we?

Peace, Ron

Ron

Neither Bob or Jean would talk negatively of each other. Why should we?

True....

"I would never join a club that would allow me to be a member"
 Groucho Marx

Larrivee D-03 Blackwood w/ K&K Pure Western

QuoteRegardless of how you feel about Taylor's marketing strategy, or their guitars for that matter, Bob Taylor is probably partly responsible for most of you playing a Larrivee guitar.
This is very true.  Without buying a Taylor, I wouldn't have been on the Taylor Guitar Forum (now the AGF).  If I wouldn't have joined the TGF, I would not have found out about Larrivee's because no one sells them in Shreveport.  So without Taylor, I would not have found out about larrivees.

By the way, I think both companies make great guitars.

I found the question to be a valid one.....  

My answer is no.
Don :)  

QuoteRegardless of how you feel about Taylor's marketing strategy, or their guitars for that matter, Bob Taylor is probably partly responsible for most of you playing a Larrivee guitar.
This is very true.  Without buying a Taylor, I wouldn't have been on the Taylor Guitar Forum (now the AGF).  If I wouldn't have joined the TGF, I would not have found out about Larrivee's because no one sells them in Shreveport.  So without Taylor, I would not have found out about larrivees.

By the way, I think both companies make great guitars.
dito ;)  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2