yamahas

Started by guitarforlife, July 16, 2006, 01:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

i've already tried yamaha forums and they're lame so i'm trying a couple of other forums i frequent. i've checked around pretty good on the net ,but still looking for some input on these guitars.
basically how do they stack up against each other. i realize each guitar has its own sound and personality,but if only one could be purchased which model would be the best choice. all prices are kinda close. i'm mainly looking for the best guitar within my budget and its small. 300.00 and that includes shipping. the fg-180 is a little more. they are all nippon gakki red label. i realize there are other variables but i think you get the idea. don't ask why yamaha, i know about lots of other choices. this is just the way i'm aheadin for now.
yamaha fg140
yamaha fg-180
yamaha fg-335

I have a 1969 red tag FG 180. I love it. Everyone who plays it is suitably impressed. Of course, the tuners, nut and saddle have been replaced and it's had a neck reset. So much more than a beater. And yet ...

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 17, 2006, 07:24:24 AM
I have a 1969 red tag FG 180. I love it. Everyone who plays it is suitably impressed. Of course, the tuners, nut and saddle have been replaced and it's had a neck reset. So much more than a beater. And yet ...

Did the repair guy have any trouble removing the neck? I'm curious to know if they glued them in with wood glue. Some of the asian imports of that era used epoxy which is all but impossible to work with.

This is my second 180. I bought this one off of eBay to replace the one I foolishly sold. The reset had already been done so I can't help you there. These are well made guitars but who knows how the necks were glued. 

I have a '68 FG150 Red Label. It does need a neck reset but I'm still playing it as a campfire guitar. It has a gorgeous orange suntan, many scars and sounds great. My wife calls it the "hippie guitar" and prefers it to my L05!
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

The one's I've played form the 60-70's seem very nice, but the later ones I thought all had very high action. It may be that the owners of the later guitars never had the necks set properly. My expectation is that for the money they aren't too bad. Compare them against other guitars in the same price range before you make any decision.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

:ph34r:

I have a fg180(can't remember what number) from 2000 or so with a solid top.  It has held up well and sounds decent

FG-336SB, a great hummingbird copy with nice burst & solid spruce top.  I still have mine that I bought new in 1979.
Why wait any longer for the world to begin?

In the 1970s and 80s, there were no better acoustics for the money.  That has since changed.

E. Shoaf

I love their higher end line...like the LLs and LSs...very quality instruments...hard to find though.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

A buddy of mine swears by his Yamaha:

http://www.marktwainsdog.com/Who.htm

Gerry (on the left) plays the Yamaha (pictured).  Don't recall what Ken plays (actually, he does have an Ovation,
but clearly that's not what's pictured).

Nice dolphin inlay on the Yamaha neck.

I got to be a decent player (general consensus, anyway) learning on my Yamaha in the late '70s early 80's.
Plywood dread.  Decent enough instrument, if unrefined. 

(Then I sold it & bought a low-end Beneteau, a series (I believe) built specially for Ring Music in the early '80s.) 

- Richard
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures

Quote from: expatCanuck on July 21, 2006, 02:43:48 PM
A buddy of mine swears by his Yamaha:

http://www.marktwainsdog.com/Who.htm

Gerry (on the left) plays the Yamaha (pictured).  Don't recall what Ken plays (actually, he does have an Ovation,
but clearly that's not what's pictured).

Nice dolphin inlay on the Yamaha neck.

I got to be a decent player (general consensus, anyway) learning on my Yamaha in the late '70s early 80's.
Plywood dread.  Decent enough instrument, if unrefined. 

(Then I sold it & bought a low-end Beneteau, a series (I believe) built specially for Ring Music in the early '80s.) 

- Richard

That's a yamaha CPXXXX compas series guitar.  I played/owned a CPX10 Compas series all through HS, and into my first couple years of college.  They come w/ an amazing pickup system. I sold that guitar for $250...kinda regret that.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Just got this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7423500274&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.ca%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D7423500274%2B%2B%26fvi%3D1

Ajusted the truss rod, took a little 0000 steel wool to the fretboard and frets, tightened a couple of loose screws on the tuners and put on a new set of strings, tuned it a full tone below concert pitch.  Including shipping and the exchange rate, a total of $100CDN is not a bad deal for a totally playable and fine sounding Yamaha.  Is there any way to figure out the manufacturing date using the serial #?  Looks like there are 2 serial numbers as well.  One on the neck block and the other on a brace, just inside the soundhole at the end of the fretboard. 

Yamahas, even the cheapest ones, have always been solid and decent sounding.  I've never tried a higher end handmade steel string or classical but I have heard good things about them.  They also make one of the best acoustic pianos out there as well.   

picked this one up the other day and it is really sweet. good bass and nice tone. has that full woody acoustic sound. action is fine also with no buuzzes and a straight neck. really good shape for a 72. one owner and he took care of it. geez sounds like i'm selling it! whatever, its all around super nice.

I also have an FG-180. I bought it new in '71. I love the sound.  I lost the case years ago somehow and found an original one a few months on E-Bay resonably priced.  It's really just taking up extra room as I hardly ever play it but it does take me back sometimes to the days that used to be -_-

I like my Yamaha Ll-33J so much I sold my Taylor 610c after getting it. Don`t even get me started on my Yamaha electrics...