Played a Taylor Last Night

Started by joxter, July 15, 2006, 08:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: roknroll on July 18, 2006, 01:00:13 PM
If taylors sounded as good as a collings, I wouldn't have a problem buying them.

Have you compared them side by side? This would be an interesting comparison since I like both makes.
It's a little like comparing a Corvette and a Jaguar. :GRN>

Quote from: FNG on July 18, 2006, 03:40:20 PM
A cedar/rosewood Taylor with a bolt on neck for only 800 bucks?  It takes about 20 minutes for a trained tech to reset a bolt-on neck.  Should have snatched that baby up.

ah oh well...good deals are a dime a dozen, right?  I now understand the quick fix of the bolt on.  there, i just learned my one fact for the day.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Memo to self--
Stay out of threads that include brand bashing!
Now, back to playing rather than reading! :GRN>
Rock on RocknRoll!!

Quote from: Fredmando on July 18, 2006, 05:49:56 PM
Have you compared them side by side? This would be an interesting comparison since I like both makes.
It's a little like comparing a Corvette and a Jaguar. :GRN>

Noooo, but I have driven a corvettes and jags in the same day(use to work for a car dealership).  Personally, the jags had an ultra smoothe ride, really nice gadgetry, but the corvettes win hands down as far as pure unadulterated speed.  They drive a bit clunky and low to the ground though.   I've also driven some corvettes that were real duds though...ya know, those 6 cyclinder ones.  If you're gonna buy a corvette, get the V8 w/ mucho horse power.  Never driven a Jaguar XJR though :TON>...I heard those can really fly.  I think guilds are like the JEEP of the guitar world.  Built like a rock!  mmmm...JEEP Rubicon...*drool*

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Quote from: Fredmando on July 18, 2006, 05:54:58 PM
Memo to self--
Stay out of threads that include brand bashing!
Now, back to playing rather than reading! :GRN>
Rock on RocknRoll!!

dude, I didn't bash taylors at all in this thread, in fact I praised their jumbos and GS line. :rolleyes:  I'm so misunderstood.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

Quote...........meantime, Shadco has taken that new pic "in focus" and now he's hard at work with Photoshop.  hey Shad, try the smudge tool.

You are really something aren't you??

How's the anti Taylor crusade going?

It's taken you all the way to the Larrivee forum so you must have conquered the rest of the forums.

Being shortsighted doesn't become you. I'm not generally a Taylor fan a lot of their guitars are over priced and there's some things they do that I just don't like but excluding them due to their neck construction would have made me miss this particular guitar which is a gem.

Frankly mystery hardwood and wings on your preferred brand bothers me as much or more than the finger joint.

This taylor came in under $1500 and it's tone is outstanding not to mention the playability which is the best I've experienced on an Acoustic. I found it while trying on a bunch of Martin's but none anywhere the price range of this one came close at all. That's consistant with most production guitars as the 8 other GS's I played also left me cold.

PS it also came with a case that didn't need to be upgraded

I must admit that I like this one a touch more.

Shad
====
Help is on the way. A government team of experts Is a'rushin' to your aid... --Stephen Stills

Martin 000-18GE
Weber Diamondback Custom
LP R9
PRS MC58
PRS DGT LTD

you bought a GS under $1500?? u done good.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

QuoteFrankly mystery hardwood and wings on your preferred brand bothers me as much or more than the finger joint.

Yup, we agree on that. I like one piece hog necks regardless of the brand. I have no axe to grind with Taylor, just don't like the fingerjoint and their absurd explainations about how this is better than the old way. Again, I'm not talking about the bolt-on neck which I see as a good innovation. Personally, I prefer the dovetail joint and I doubt that this surprises you Shad.   :WNK>

I would express my displeasure with ANY brand that glues 3 pieces of wood together to make a neck for an expensive guitar, even my beloved Larrivee company.
Martin 0M-28 Marquis
Martin HD-28VS
Harmony Sovereign H1260
Larrivee Bakersfield
Taylor GS Mini
Alvarez Yairi CY130

Quote from: pickngrin on July 18, 2006, 06:43:48 PM
Yup, we agree on that. I like one piece hog necks regardless of the brand. I have no axe to grind with Taylor, just don't like the fingerjoint and their absurd explainations about how this is better than the old way. Again, I'm not talking about the bolt-on neck which I see as a good innovation. Personally, I prefer the dovetail joint and I doubt that this surprises you Shad.   :WNK>

I would express my displeasure with ANY brand that glues 3 pieces of wood together to make a neck for an expensive guitar, even my beloved Larrivee company.

what about classical builders from spain that use a 3 piece neck?  The low tension of the strings+ the three piece neck=0 neck resets in the future.  Lowden uses a 3 piece neck, surely you can't harp on them...surely.

Breedlove SD-25 Custom
1973  Martin Sigma DM-5

rocknroll, I don't have much experience as you with classical guitars so I don't think I can tell you anything you don't already know about them. Maybe there's a benefit to the guitars you mention by having multi-piece necks. I just don't believe that the joints in the Taylor neck make it a better guitar. I think it's a money saving process that is being sold with smoke & mirrors.

Just my 2 cents but if someone can convince these joints help the guitar, I'd be willing to keep an open mind. But please don't bring the rain forest into the discussion.
Martin 0M-28 Marquis
Martin HD-28VS
Harmony Sovereign H1260
Larrivee Bakersfield
Taylor GS Mini
Alvarez Yairi CY130

If you don't use your eyes in addition to your ears when buying an expensive guitar, then I guess it's folks like you buying the blue ones.

Do you see any blue guitars here?

or here?

or here?

Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

all righty then....

The Taylor I played sounded good and was easily fretted.  I did look at the spruce top and it had nice tight grain.  I did not look at anything else about the guitar.  It was in tune out of the case and still in tune when I put it back in the case.

When I was in the market for a guitar I played Taylors and the ones I liked were more $$ than my budget allowed.  I got a Larrivee because of the value.  I mean an all wood guitar, well put together and great playablility.  Can't go wrong there.

Roman, what a great selection of acoustics, can I be in your will?
Richard

Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee L-05MT
Martin 000-28
Martin 000-28
Martin D35
Ovation Balladeer
Fender Mexi-Tele

Roman, what a great selection of acoustics, can I be in your will?

Sure, take your pick (I guess it's the L-05, right?)  -_-
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55