Truss Rods For Idiots...

Started by willnorvell, April 29, 2004, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

For some reason, I can't figure out which way I need to turn the wrench to make my action go down.  I guess it's a combination of being sick, and just having a bad day, but it's got me completely confused now.
Do I turn the wrench toward the low E, or the high E to LOWER action??
Forgive my stupidity today, but I need help so I don't drive myself crazy.

Truss rod adjustments affect the bow of the neck which certainly would have some impact on action around the middle of the fretbd.  However, the "relief" of the neck should be the only indicator of whether the truss rod needs to be adjusted.  To start, simultaneously fret one of the strings (try the low E) at the first fret and the fret where the neck joins the body. Now, have a look to see how much clearance (if any) there is from the top of the 7th or 9th fret to the bottom of the low E string. Aim for the thickness of your high E string. If the gap is excessive, turn the rod clockwise. If there is no gap, you need to turn counter clockwise until you see a gap. Adjust no more than a quarter turn each time and evaluate (it may take a little while for the neck to fully adjust).  Once you've achieved the amt of desired relief YOU ARE FINISHED WITH THE TRUSS ROD. Next, evaluate your action.  If unsatisfactory (too low or too high), adjustments will have to made at the saddle/bridge and/or nut.  Check out Frets.com for info (include pic's).

That said, there are instances where you would re-evaluate relief, such as getting rid of slight buzzing once the desired action has been attained.  Personally, I like to get the neck as straight as possible (negligable relief) before assessing action. Then I'll tweak as necessary. Again, Frets.com is a great site to check out.

Oops, almost forgot - DO NOT FORCE THE TRUSS ROD IF YOU ENCOUNTER SIGNIFICANT RESISTANCE!!! Take it to a tech.  For that matter, take it to a tech anyway until you sufficiently understand doing setups.

Good luck!

high E.To really drive yourself crazy make a rite at the neckt lite go 3 blocks turn left. :blink:  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I can't figure out how to get the wrench in the truss rod...so there!

Tim

My apologies. Turn toward high E and keep on turning until you achieve desired action.  Strings an inch off the board? Hey, keep on turning and ignore any sweaks, cracking noises, etc.  Stripped the nut hey? Heard a loud pop? No big deal - simply buy a new guitar.

Not meaning to be sarcastic, but perpetuating the idea that truss rod adjustments' primary purpose is to lower action is simply dangerous.

willnorvell: Forget everything said and go straight to frets.com.

Tim center the tool betwwn the D +G stringease it back feel it around and you'll hit it.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Tim, when you hit/feel metal, you're very close.

QuoteNot meaning to be sarcastic, but perpetuating the idea that truss rod adjustments' primary purpose is to lower action is simply dangerous.

Exactly.....the point is to make sure the neck is adjusted correctly with just a slight amount, or no, relief. THEN make sure that the nut is correctly made, the strings sit in the notches correctly, and the height is OK. THEN adjust the action by the saddle.

Rob....you're a chucklehead!

QuoteTim center the tool betwwn the D +G stringease it back feel it around and you'll hit it.
Kinda like 16-year-olds making love in the dark eh?

It was a rhetorical question, anyway. The break on my Larrivee is right where I want it. But it might move someday!

Tim