Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Red-tailed Hawk" Native American Flute  (Read 1571 times)
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2006, 06:28:30 AM »

Made by High Spirits co.,  my newest instrument tuned to a key of G is made of cedar with turquoise inlays. i picked this particular flute for sentimental reasons more than anything else since i cared for an amazingly gorgeous red-tailed hawk named Phoenix many years ago.  it's extraordinarily melodic with an airy, woody (earthy?) texture to the tone making it far more pleasing to my ear compared to the crisp, piercing tone of other similar flutes i've heard.

others have described the sound from NA flutes as being relaxing and hypnotic and i certainly agree. it's so much sweeter sounding than my clarinet and much easier playing as well.  i just improvise and let what ever notes play and somehow it just works out fine.

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Sordello

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 12:05:46 PM »

Absolutely beautiful poki!  Both an instrument AND a work of art. Would there be any sound clips of this gorgeous source of music? I know it would sound "woody", but how else would you contrast this flute with a metal one. More user-friendly? Less maintenance? Does the wood age and change the timbre of the notes over the years? Do you get discoloration over the years from hand oils etc.?
Still...... it is an amazing sight for the eyes - must be even more so for the ears!! 

Beautiful.
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 08:23:32 PM »

Mine are High Spirits flutes also. I don't have any with inlay. I have the Sparrowhawk (A) and Golden Eagle (F#). They are very beautiful sounding. The cedar is less focused sounding, more earthy and ethereal than the walnut. Very relaxing. The best way to play is just to close your eyes, and play whatever comes to you. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine!

Deb

P.S. If you want more information, or to get soundclips, etc. try visiting this forum. Not very active, but very nice folks!
http://www.chiffandfipple.com/naf/index.php

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 08:41:22 AM »

Thanks for the comments.  Sordella, as far as comparing the NA flute to a modern metal flute the NA flute is far easier to play since you just blow into it gently without need to form your lips to create a proper air stream like on the modern metal flute which actually used to be made of wood in the past like clarinets and had a woody tone similar to NA flutes.  the NA flute plays much fewer notes than a modern flute so there's not much learning to do which makes it easy for beginners to play well right off the bat.  as far as long term changes to the wood i don't know but i guess i'll find out over time.  this flute has an oil finish on it which seems pretty durable. i'm most worried about it cracking but i think it should be safe in my humidity controlled room. 

Deb thanks for the link.  it's nice to see so many varied forums out there.  i also considered the sparrow hawk and golden eagle too since i used to take care of those two birds too but Phoenix is my favorite.  the golden eagle tone is really tranquil even at high notes.  i'm glad i got the cedar version since i'm most attracted to the airy, mellow tone.  thus far i prefer to play it as a 5 hole flute since it has a more "natural" note progression.  i kind of got vibrato down using diaphragm control though i kind of doubt the native americans used vibrato traditionally but it sounds nice anyway.

happy fluting afro

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: