Who are your favorite Guitarists?

Started by Danny K, July 08, 2006, 12:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just listening to Sunday Street on the way to work this morning.

You can never go wrong with Dave Van Ronk! Gotta love those Guild Jumbos.
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

All-time fave would have to be Django!  Others, in no particular order...

Lindsay Buckingham.  Edge.  Dave Matthews.  Stephen Malkmus.  Richard Thompson.  Rodrigo y Gabriella.  Wes Montgomery.  Andres Segovia.  Tommy Emmanuel.  Pepe Romero.  Paco de Lucia. 

There are so many...

Tuck Andress
Wes Montgomery
Jim Hall
Pat Metheny
Steve Lukather
Mike Stern
Steve Morse
Eric Clapton

and two Italians:

Pino Daniele
Alex Britti
1988 Yamaha FG445
2004 Crafter TB-Bubinga
2007 Larrivèe D-09E

I tend to find something I like in about just about everyone I listen to. I'm specifically listening to Robben Ford, Bert Jansch, Brad Paisley, of course Brent Mason (wether or not I even know it's him - you can't help but hear him everywhere), Tuck Andress, Page, Clapton, Hendrix et al,. Knopfler, Watson, Rice, Petteway, old Paul Simon... etc. Though I don't get John Mayer and some of the other newer guys - How did he get his own guitar? There are an awful lot of unsung hired guns that are just scary good. Jerry Douglas must have sold his soul to get the chops he has. And I apologize for the 1000's I've missed.
Larrivee - P10BZ
Larrivee PV09
Larrivee OMV60
McPherson 5.0 Adirondack/RW
Martin - 000-40S #22, 1972 D35
and a "few" others

Lots of greats mentioned. Not in the category of a favorite, but heres an amazing gal for those of you who haven't seen her, actually she is more known for mandolin. I think she is 14 or 15 in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNpVvDXktQY&mode=related&search=

I'm gonna have to say Antoine Dufour and Paul Gilbert, Both different styles, but both amazing at what they do.
2002 L-10 Special Edition
2002 Martin D-15
2005 Blueridge BR-183
2006 double sound hole 12 fret handmade guitar

Paco de Lucia
Adrian Legg
Ritchie Blackmore
Eddie Van Halen
others (Clapton, Knopfler)
"Guitars can seriously damage your health"

1977 American Fender Strat
2001 Larrivée O-01 (P-01)
2005 Larrivée L-05
2004 Amalio Burguet 3F flamenco spanish guitar
Many various other guitars gone,  ...hopefully to a good home.

http://guit-ar.com. Guitar drawings and artwork by Juan Ponte

My list of favorites would be long, everything from Flatpicking Blugrass, to Acoustic Fingerstyle (most genre's) to Electric Blues/Rock, Some Jazz, etc.
A new favorite for me is MIke Dowling, I just had the opportunity to seem him play live for the first time at Boulevard Music in
Culver City last Sat. night, he was out west for the NAMM show, doing demo's in National's booth.
A great player, really has a great feel for the songs, and plays a sweet slide guitar style.
I was hooked, picked up five of his six cd's  :thumb
My wife says I can buy, sell swap guitars and cars as much as I want...
as long as I don't start swapping wives... sounds like a good deal to me.

Johnny Marr, Will Kimbrough, Colin Cripps, and Tony Rice right off the top of my head. And one of the guys in Acoustic Alchemy...
"I've suffered for my art; now it's your turn."

My songs:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=236287

Nort

Mike Dowling is one of my top favorites as well.  Was his new CD available, "Blues Ain't News"?  I wonder how it is, and what songs are on it.  I'd learn a few of his songs if they weren't in alternate tunings.  That stuff SCARES ME!  I did just get his slide guitar instructional DVD.  Open D and G tunings.  ARGHH... :laughin:

Dave

Larrivee OMV-50
Martin 000-28VS(B)
La Patrie Concert
Republic (O-style reso)
'62 Silvertone (amp in case...dual lipstick p'ups)

Deb,

You're only the second person I've seen that has heard of Isato Nakagawa. He's fun to listen to.

Martin Simpson
Bert Jansch
John Renbourn
Ry Cooder

To name a few..

SPW

Gone, but not forgotten: Big Bill Broonzy, Lonnie Johnson, Blind Blake, Rev. Gary Davis, and all the other acoustic blues greats. Amazingly, they did it without the help of instructional DVDs.

Steven Stills,Jeff Beck,Justin Hayward,  Heh and how bout Richie Havens, love that thumb over the top.
   Of course ERIC, Neil Young(not the 3 note lead stuff) James Taylor and a bunch of unamed studio musicians in Nashville.       Danny

Acoustic: Michael Hedges, Eric Clapton, Damien Rice, Justin King, Paco de Lucia

Electric: Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Slash, John Petrucci, Jimmy Page
My dear fellow, my whole life is moved by the principle that the one thing which is more important than peace is music. It is because I believe that I am poor." - Robertson Davies

I've been listening to a lot of Tommy Emmanuel lately.  If anyone is interested in a Ukelele player, Jake Shimbakuro is quite talented.  He arranged a version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" that is quite popular on youtube these days.
2008 Larrivee LV-10E "Faith"
1997 Yamaha FGX-412C
1980 Epi A-12

Scotty Anderson
Danny Gatton
Merle Travis
Joe Maphis
Junior Barnard
Freddie King
Blind Blake
Rev. Gary Davis
Jorma Kaukonen