Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are your favorite Guitarists?  (Read 11458 times)
stuco

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 12:32:51 AM »

afro

Ok, I see now(just looked him up) that he was a founding member of the jefferson airplane so I have heard lots of is music.  what solo album would you suggest then?
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2006, 01:56:32 AM »

Hot Tuna....

Also I forgot a biggie for me,Lowell George.......

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2006, 01:18:57 PM »

Hot Tuna - @ the Coach House - Live in Berkeley. Just Jorma, Jack Cassidy on bass and Will Scarlett on harp. Great stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002WXX/103-3135101-2768642?v=glance&n=5174
Blue in VT
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2006, 02:18:17 PM »

Since there are a few other jam band folks here I would also like to throw in a big thumbs up to Steve Sweeny the fantastic guitar player for a band based out of Ohio called Ekoostic Hookah.  If you like bluegrass flavored jam bands...they are Great and Steve is just amazing.

Cheers,

Blue

OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)
tubeornot2b

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2006, 04:06:45 PM »

Ducktrapper is on the money with the suggestion of the Hot Tuna self titled original release. It is a great acoustic set, which honestly does not vary that much, from the way they still perform those songs today. I just saw them Sunday night. Sadly Willow Scarlet is no longer around, whatever happened to him? He also did some beautiful playing with David Bromberg. But the addition of Barry Mitterhoff in the more recent years has added a great spark to the band.

Other classic albums worth checking out are the studio albums, Burgers and The Phosphorescent Rat. The original Electric Live album First Pull Up Then Pull Down, doesn't seem to have aged as well as the rest of the older catalogue.

Jorma's, Blue Country Heart is a very good newer release worth checking out as well.
KevinB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 05:31:17 PM »

afro

Ok, I see now(just looked him up) that he was a founding member of the jefferson airplane so I have heard lots of is music.  what solo album would you suggest then?
KevinB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2006, 05:32:22 PM »

afro

If you like acoustic fingerpicking, "Quah" is the one to get IMHO.
stuco

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2006, 10:49:10 PM »

afro

OK, back to everyone's favorite guitarists!
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 11:19:07 PM »

OK, just for starters (because it's who I've been listening to lately):

Clarence White
Norman Blake
Dan Crary
Tony MacManus
Chet Atkins (always)
Martin Simpson
John Renbourn
Jason Fowler (the only one on my list who has sold me a couple of guitars!)

Old standbys:
Steve Cropper
John Fogerty
Jimi
Eric

In the "tone painter rather than virtuoso" category:
The Edge
Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music)
Graham Coxon (ex-Blur)
Johnny Marr

...and dozens more, but it would take me all night to think of who else to add.

But let me throw out one name for the "little-known and underrated but great" category: Peter Stroud, who plays with Sheryl Crow, among others.  I've seen Sheryl twice now, and I could listen to Peter Stroud play all night.  He's got such amazing tone, and he's so tasteful as an accompanist, even when he's channelling Jimmy Page on "Rock and Roll", which Sheryl encores with these days.

Oh, and if we expand the category of guitar to include dobro and lap steel: Jerry Douglas.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Chuck40

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2006, 11:47:44 PM »

Favorite guitarists, in no particular order:

Laurence Juber
El McMeen
Jim Tozier
Jim Hall
John Scofield
Pat Metheny
Joe Pass
Duane Allman
Eric Clapton
Manuel Barrueco
Dan

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2006, 02:36:11 AM »

I'de have to say:

Brad Paisley
James Taylor (I know he isnt like this rediculous acoustic guru or anything like that but his sound always inspired me)
Brad Avery of Third Day
Phil Keaggy (Just really getting into him)
Chet Atkins
Doc Watson
My Uncle Roy (from N.C.)
Shane Barnard of Shane and Shane (He's got a really cool sound and way or playing, Just getting into their stuff too)
David Crowder of the David Crowder Band
Mike E. (A guy I use to play in a praise band with, learned alot from him as I was still young in my playing and he was far better than me and he still probably is, I grew alot musically in that time)

Im sure there is many more but its about my bed time and my brain is getting a little on the tired side.

Dan

Dan
wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2006, 04:24:14 AM »

Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac, highly underrated)

I'll second that, and add Paul Simon, Margaret Becker, Isato Nakagawa, John Denver, Peter Yarrow, and probably others that I can't think of right now.

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2006, 01:54:04 PM »

Last night we watched the VH-1 special on the making of "Rumours" and I was just thinking this morning that Lindsey Buckingham should be added to the "highly underrated" list. 

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
lestrouble

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2006, 02:02:39 PM »

as for me:
Phil Keaggy
Tommy Emmanuel
Raul Midon
Justin King
Trace Bundy
 afro

Larrivee C-03RE 97' (fishman stereo blender)
Trace acoustic amp TA50R
Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum
Samson airline UHF guitar wireless system
Max Lucado Devotional Bible
tubeornot2b

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2006, 02:50:55 PM »

Great call Deb. Hard to believe that Paul Simon and John Denver had gone unmentioned. A friend (a superiior local performer) and I had a long discussion over the weekend about the power of positive thinking concepts that abound.  This naturally led to Denver and his typically positive attitude and song messages. Inspired by the discussion he as now added some Denver tunes to his sets.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2006, 03:18:59 PM »

Hmmm while I have noticed that Paul Simon is a fine guitarist who sadly doesn't play enough guitar anymore, I never noticed that Denver was anymore than capable. I must be a great guitar player on those grounds. ;)   
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2006, 03:43:46 PM »

Hmmm while I have noticed that Paul Simon is a fine guitarist who sadly doesn't play enough guitar anymore, I never noticed that Denver was anymore than capable. I must be a great guitar player on those grounds. ;)   

Was there ever a doubt? :GRN>

Perhaps people are crediting the greatness of Mr. Denver's recorded sound (in later years) to him, when they should be giving the nod to Pete Huttlinger...

My list of greatly under recognized guitarists would need to mention:

Terry Clements (Gordon Lightfoot)

Maury Muelheisen (Jim Croce)

Mike "Pepe"  Francis (the absolute KING of Kings of Canadian guitar, IMHO)

Ron

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2006, 03:58:21 PM »

Was there ever a doubt? :GRN>

Not in my mind. That, however, is Mare Tenebrosum. YOU DON"T WANT TO GO THERE!  afro
Trent in WA

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2006, 04:31:36 PM »

I've been listening to lots of British folk music from the 60's and hence lately, so my current faves are Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, Martin Carthy (criminally overlooked, imho), and of course Richard Thompson, who's represented the musical and songwriting bar for me for a long time.   I've also found that Devendra Banhart's playing, while nothing particularly flashy, really gets into your head after a couple of listens.
tubeornot2b

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2006, 07:42:47 PM »

If I can, without insulting anyone's sensibilities, while Richard Thompson is obviously a very good guitar player, but I find his songwriting to be dull and even depressing.

His voice has never been anything special, but even others covering his material are still stuck with negative, depressing images. I have a few friends who would consider such statements almost sacrilege. But there are even a few who are his fans, who own up to the generally unoptimistic material he produces.

By the way....the thread originally asks... who are our favorite guitarists, not necessarily who are the most technically proficient. Rarely are the two one and the same. As in the case of Keaggy a masterfull technician, who sadly remains virtually unknown to the masses.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: