recording at home question

Started by Dan, July 06, 2006, 10:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

First off I know some of you probably record at home. What is your complete set-up? do you record on your PC? Im wanting to get into home recording so im wondering what you all have and what works good.

Second I know Im going to have to have a mixer:

Is this a good one for the recording just me and my guitar and then maybe recording and putting stuff together? (layering I guess you would say, recording parts of a song and then putting it all together to make one recording)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB802-Mixer?sku=631238

or

Should will this mixer better fit my needs? (probably 99% or the time it will be just me and my guitar but maybe that other 1% may be me singing and playing guitar and my friend playing along with me)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB1202-Mixer?sku=631236

If you have another suggestion for a mixer I gladly welcome that also! Im totally open to anything!

Thanks all!

Dan
Dan

I do some home recording, and I use the Digidesign MBox2 ($400, $500 w/ extra pluggins), which works as a mic preamp and digital converter.  It interfaces with any USB equipped computer and comes with Protools, which is excellent for recording/mixing.  I mic with two cheap condensors, my favorite being the Studio Projects B1 ($100) because it is very versatile and sounds very pleasant.  It's a great-sounding, very simple setup, and I highly recommend it if you can afford it.  What's your budget?

I have been recording on computer for a few years and collected a pretty workable small home studio. Unless you have great sources of capital, you have to put your studio together a piece at a time. The Behringer UB802 is a nice little mixer. Only if you are recording many different sources simultaneously will you need more channels. I have a six track mixer (two mono, two stereo) and it is more than enough for my small studio. A good audio card is important as well, as is a good quality microphone.

My hardware:

M-Audio Audiophile USB external sound card
Alto S-6 Mixer (with preamps and phantom power)
Behringer MIC200 Modelling Tube Preamp
Apex 435 Wide Diaphram Condensor Microphone

My Software:

Sonar 5 Producer Edition
Sony SoundForge 7
Fruity Loops 3
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Just for fun I thought I'd give it a try myself as well. So I did this test.

I just plugged an adapter to my guitar cable then put it into my mic channel on my computer.
Then I was curious so I plugged the cable into my line out on my guitar amp. Here is the results of my test.

Software Audacity
Guitar= Ventura acoustic
Pickup= Fishman AG
Amp= Kustom30
Direct to computer through line out.

Here is a test recording I did.

http://home.comcast.net/~cobalt980/threewoodencrosses.mp3

I use an AudioTechnica AT2020 into an M-Audio MobilePre,
which plugs into the (version 2.0) USB port of my homebuilt
Athlon 2700 box w/ 512 MB of RAM.  Audacity records.

The results can be found here: www.oldwithoutmoney.com
Haven't played with effects or anything yet.  It's funny - I'm more
comfortable playing live than at home by myself.

Cocaine was a straight mic recording of my Larrivee 00. 
The other tracks were my L-09, half acoustic & half iMix. 
Vocal on Brass Ring into the same mic.

- Richard
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures

Laptop + http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Omega-Desktop-Recording-Studio?sku=245505 + mic ( I use 3 different dynamics) = http://www.members.cox.net/jackwr

Hey I didn't say I was professional. This was my first shot at multi track recording (layered) and being my own sound man while doing everything else....all me bit by bit....computer recording.
Jack

Larrivee 0019 1992
Martin    D41  2005
Bunch of other stuff

Jack -
Impressive picking!  How long you been at the mando?
- Richard
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures

Quote from: expatCanuck on July 09, 2006, 12:06:23 AM
Jack -
How long you been at the mando?
- Richard
Thanks Richard. I started at the 1990 Windgap Bluegrass festival. Just play a little rhythm guitar then, and still trying to learn a roll on banjo after years. A friend had just got a mando and let me try it. I felt more natural in my hands so the banjo's still waiting to be learned. Hit a plateau and got a bit bored with mando January 2005. Picked up my old Madeira and discovered my time on the mando turned me into a flatpicker too. That led to these below.
Jack

Larrivee 0019 1992
Martin    D41  2005
Bunch of other stuff