Poll
Question: What is the Best Polish for shining her up and removing scratches?
Petros Finish Restorer/Polish - 1 (11.1%)
Pledge - 0 (0%)
Final Note - 4 (44.4%)
Steinway Piano polish - 0 (0%)
Other (please list in your response) - 4 (44.4%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Polish  (Read 1306 times)
rockin_ron

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2006, 04:22:25 PM »

What do y'all use to clean and shine up your guitars?  Which stuff actual works or is better on scratches?  I've read all the claims on the websites, but would like to get some real consumer feedback comments from actual users.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks
Ron
Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 04:32:49 PM »

How about a damp soft cloth and not getting scratches to begin with?

E. Shoaf
DVGuy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 04:33:59 PM »

Ken Smith Pro Formula Guitar Polish
PortHueneme

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 05:14:23 PM »

My guitar tech swears by the Gibson polish. I have used it on my J-50 for 40 years, no finish checking. I use it exclusively on all my guitars.
Another great polish, but sometimes difficult to find, is 100% carnuba wax. I have been warned NOT to use automotive canuba because it contains silicons. It is also expensive, but a little dab will do a whole guitar. If you feel like I do about my instruments a few extra buck won't bother you. The carnuba is unbelievable on the neck, you will be sliding past the notes you want it get so slick.

SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes
Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 05:35:21 PM »

I use the Dunlop brand spray polish and wax. I also use the detail towels that Wal-Mart sells.
I've heard that the Martin Polish had its formula changed about 10 years ago, so I wouldn't use it.
pearsley

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 12:03:30 AM »

My favorite polish is a brand called Gerlitz.  It is made for delicate instrument finishes and I believe it is pure carnuba. Someone may correct me if I am wrong.  In any event it leaves an amazingly deep shine and doesn't smear like some other liquid polishes I have used in the past.  If you have some real grime to clean off, Ronsonal lighter fluid on clean T shirt material works wonders and will not damage the finish even on lacquered instruments.  The lighter fluid as a cleaner is recommended by Guitar Player Repair Guide as well .

PWE
Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 04:07:32 AM »

3M  Perfect-it  II, polishing compound,  followed by  3M Fineese-it II Machine Polish.    no silicone

I've only used them on pickgurards for guitars, but will use them after 0000 steel wool when I  polish my satins.

I  have used these to remove scratches and scuffs on my sailboat racing compass acrlic dome..
From visibly scratched and scuffed to absolutly clear and like new.  If this stuff can do that to clear plastic, then It should be
very good at the hard polyurthane of our guitar finishes.  I have also used it after a slightly courser rubbing compound from 3M to
restore my boat's finish to "show Car" flawless shine.    Of course that was a big mistake cuz now i'm afraid of all dock rash 

phill     :mellow:

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
JohnM2001
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 04:42:08 PM »

Best Polish??  The Polish from Worcester, Mass. are wonderful people!  I married one!    Fresh kielbasa and Krakus beer are good too.    There is a Polish forum member from Worcester here too, maybe he'll come forward and explain why it's not the kielbasa that gives him GAS.   :GRN>

D-02E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: