David Berchtold - Things I've Seen - Cd

Started by orsino, April 28, 2004, 05:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I highly recommend the forum's own David Berchtold's CD Things I've Seen. Great fingerpicking and flatpicking. Excellent compositions. He and his Acoustic Lead Guitar Player, Dave Fryer, are musically "joined at the hip". They really work well together. The recording is excellent and the mastering knows how to stay out of the way of the acoustic sound. I guess you can tell I like it. So will you! Here's David's website....
http://www.dberch.com/index.html

And here's one of David's tunes I took the liberty of placing on my webspace. He lists his influences as Gregg Allman and Jorma. This tune has a real Dead quality as well (as in Grateful) Enjoy!
Waiting On Charlie - David Berchtold

Good stuff. If I keep practicing... one of these days...
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I like it a lot! I can definitely hear the Dead qualities and detect a little Lindsay Buckingham as well!
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Orsino, Kwakatak, and Randy_R

Thanks for the kind words.  Really appreciate the post, Orsino!  Now, I'm waiting for the Orsino Concet DVD!   Get crackin', dude!

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

David, Can we get copies directly from you?

Don
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

You sure can, dbirchett!

Just send me an email, say you'd like a CD and ask for my mailing address. Then send me a check for $10 + $2 shipping.  That'll save you $3 from what you'd pay on CDBaby.  Soon as I get a check I'll pop a CD in the mail for you.

And remember, buy 10 and get one free!  :)

Thanks for your interest, folks!  I really respect the talented and knowledgable people on this forum, and your postive feedback means a lot to me.  

David

www.davidberchtold.com

I didn't realize you were in Central Illinois! My husband is from Toluca, and we've spent a lot of time in Bloomington. I'm looking forward to hearing clips--dialup is so slow, sigh.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Deb,

Hey, I'm only 20 minutes from Bloomington!  I work there and do most of my shows there.  Give me a call next time you guys are in town!

David
www.davidberchtold.com

I went to your website. Thanks for posting the MP3s for dialup. It didn't take long at all, and the music is wonderful! What guitar were you playing. (I apologize if you've already answered that question).

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Deb,

Glad you like it!  My Collings D1A is on most of the tracks, but I also used my Ovation (on "Windy and Warm" and "Often the Distance") and my Larrivee D-05 (on "Thoughts").  The intro to "Shrug" (1st track) is a borrowed Martin 000-28EC.  Almost every thing else is either my Collings, or Dave Fryer's Tacoma DR18.

I'll  be happy to answer any question about recording technique and equipment and instruments used. The entire CD was recorded on home equipment.  I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm proud of how it turned out and I really learned a lot in the process.

David
www.davidberchtold.com

David, thanks for the CD...you and Dave Fryer are superb talents.  

The CD features a nice selection of playing styles and music genres including some vocals.  The recording sounds great on my higher end stereo system (another of my expensive hobbies).  Just wondering, were the various guitars used in this CD picked to match the particular songs or more for the sake of variety?

Congrats on a magnificent performance
poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

I got the CD from him too. Some great picking, David. Your lead player is very good, but I think I prefer listening to your solo work. Nice CD.

Don
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

dbirchett and poki,

Thanks for the feedback, guys - I'm glad you like the CD!

dbirchett, I did tryt to pick guitars that fit the song.  Mostly what you hear is my Collings - It's really versatile.

On "Often The Distance" I used my Ovation.  That was actually recorded in '99 and the Ovation was my only axe then.

"Serenity" was done on a '80s Epiphone PR750 - my first solid top guitar.  Right after that recording I traded it for my Larrivee D-05.

On the intro to "Shrug" I was going to use my 60s Kay archtop, but broke a string at the session and had to borrow a friend M****n 000-28EC.  Turned out to be a good thing I think!

"Thoughts" is my Larrivee.  Tried the Collings but for this song I liked the Larrivee better.  

Thanks again for the kind words.

By the way - I'm now on Internet Radio with MidWestBands.com.  They've put six of my songs in their play list!

David
www.davidberchtold.com