000-50 and 000-60 any owners?

Started by fingersonly, July 01, 2006, 09:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have only owned one Larrivee , a little rosewood parlor and loved it, (wished I had no sold it)

But owned three different Taylors, and right now have three Martins. Always liked and tried out Larrivees but just never owned one and not that familiar with them.

Right now I have on ebay a Martin OM-35. It is a great guitar but I finger pick almost exclusively and it just does not have the note separation I'm looking for. It has great overtones, a lush sound but again just does not have the note separation.
Really love 12 fret models, so the 000-50 and 60 go my attention. In fact everything about the specs really sounds like what I'm looking for.
So asking for any input from owners or other that have compared them to other models.
Kinda hard to find them to try out.
any input appreciated

I have a 12 fret rosewood 00 19 that I'll never part with. If you are near eastern NC I'd let you take her for a test ride.
Jack

Larrivee 0019 1992
Martin    D41  2005
Bunch of other stuff

I fingerpick only, and have had a 000-60 out on the road with me since January....I really like the guitar, it is classic, traditional, with just enough herringbone trim to satisyfy my need for "pretty"

I have not gotten to play a 000-50 yet, but bought the 60 sight unseen...I just believed it would be a good match for me, and indeed, it is!

You might also look at the fingerstyle series, same nut width.
Larrivee LS-10 Custom "Jesse"
Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
Oscar Schmidt OU-5 concert uke "Abalone & Cheese"
Makai MT-70 tenor uke "Kimme"
Martin M3 Soprano Uke "LJ"
A couple non descript cl

Thanks folks ... cowgirlie...by figerstyle series you mean as in Larrivee?

Ooops!  O.K. I see them,,... I overlooked them listed at the Larrivee site, thanks!

If you can't play them in person, be sure to check the sound clips of these 2. To my ears, the SD-50 has a tad more bass and better note seperation while the SD-60 has the beautiful overtones you expect with rosewood. IMO. both are winners.
Martin 0M-28 Marquis
Martin HD-28VS
Harmony Sovereign H1260
Larrivee Bakersfield
Taylor GS Mini
Alvarez Yairi CY130

I am the proud new owner of a 000-60 purchased from Jason at Notable Guitars, sight unseen. It is just as Jason described it,with full, rich, and deep tone. I am noticing that it is super responsive to the attack dynamics, that is to say, picked with light touch and attack it has superb separation, but man when you get busy with single note flatpicked runs, interspersed with triads, the over tones just start leaping out from it. I am using Martin med/light Bluegrass strings now and they seem to cut the overtone response when compared to the D'Adarrio EJ-16's that I had on it. The Bluegrass strings are not the 'ONES' for this guitar and I will continue the search for the right strings for this box. The EJ-16 overtones were really strange to my ears, as they were for lack of a better description, organ like. They just start to ring like crazy and acted like they were  pedal tones against the notes I was playing, sometimes with less than harmonious results. I feel that as I learn the guitar, and its peculiarities, the overtones will add a new dimension to how I am approaching my expressive technique. As this instrument matures, and I with it, it will have a large tonal palette distribution.
1995 Simon & Patrick SP6 Pro Rosewood
2006 Larrivee 000-60

Hey thanks Game!
Really looking to play compare the 50 and 60.
The problem I find with some rosewoods, is  the overtones. For fingerpicking if they are too strong the clarity is lost. That is why I'm selling the Martin OM-35. Kinda like having to much reverb in a mix.
However the 000-60 sure does not sound that way in the sounds samples provided here.
Really itching to play them. I live in NY city, for gosh sakes ... gotta be one here somewhere!!!

fingers only, don't let me discourage you from trying the SD-60 but you certainly sound like you're looking for a mahogany sound. Both have their place but note separation and individual note clarity is a mahogany thing, although there's always exceptions.
Martin 0M-28 Marquis
Martin HD-28VS
Harmony Sovereign H1260
Larrivee Bakersfield
Taylor GS Mini
Alvarez Yairi CY130

I have a 000-50 and love it.  I've also A/B'd the 000-50 against a Martin Marquis OM-28.  In my opinion the 000-50 had much better clarity and responded as well if not better. Slightly less bass, the OM-28 had "growl", but the  000 had much fuller mids and bell-like highs which did it for me. I fingerpick  exclusively I also have a 00-50 for the 1 3/4" nut width.  The 000-50 is 1 13/16".  Hope this helps.

gtrplayer

happy pickin'

Quote from: GAME2003 on July 02, 2006, 11:05:20 AM
I am the proud new owner of a 000-60 purchased from Jason at Notable Guitars, sight unseen. It is just as Jason described it,with full, rich, and deep tone. I am noticing that it is super responsive to the attack dynamics, that is to say, picked with light touch and attack it has superb separation, but man when you get busy with single note flatpicked runs, interspersed with triads, the over tones just start leaping out from it. I am using Martin med/light Bluegrass strings now and they seem to cut the overtone response when compared to the D'Adarrio EJ-16's that I had on it. The Bluegrass strings are not the 'ONES' for this guitar and I will continue the search for the right strings for this box. The EJ-16 overtones were really strange to my ears, as they were for lack of a better description, organ like. They just start to ring like crazy and acted like they were  pedal tones against the notes I was playing, sometimes with less than harmonious results. I feel that as I learn the guitar, and its peculiarities, the overtones will add a new dimension to how I am approaching my expressive technique. As this instrument matures, and I with it, it will have a large tonal palette distribution.
I use EJ-17's on my 00 19 (rosewood). They sound great, but you can get the "pedal-like, sustained harmonic sympathy tone" going. I've been trying to control this effect and harness it's use positively. I do still get a "rouge wave" occasionally and wonder where that one came from.....................(***shrugs his shoulders and thinks he must have too much time on his hands***) :huh:
Jack

Larrivee 0019 1992
Martin    D41  2005
Bunch of other stuff

anyone know of a Larrivee dealer in the New York City area that has in stock a 000-50
(mercy that sunburst melts my butter.. sure would like to play one!!!!!

Hey Fingers! My OOO-50 TSB (total sunburst) is the cat's pajamas. Ranks with the best guitars I've ever played and I've played my share of high end guitars. By all means, get one in your hands!

I have a new sd-60 sunburst top (thank you Jason). The guitar is awesome. I have it strung with Elixr med-lights (12-56), I play with fingers and occasionally a pick. I mostly strum chords and sing. This guitar is the best sounding I have ever heard. I don't know that I have the ear to tell the difference between mahogany & rosewood. I may also not be a good enough player to know the difference either, but I love the sound of this guitar. My 12 string is rosewood too (D-09), I like the sustain and ring I get. Everyone who has played my 12 says it is one of the best they have ever heard/played. I don't share the sd-60 with anyone, except my closest and careful friends, but so far they all love it too.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

I wish everyone would stop talking about how great these guitars are. I CAN NOT BUY ANOTHER LARRIVEE, I CAN NOT BUY ANOTHER LARRIVEE, I CAN NOT BUY ANOTHER LARRIVEE.......yet. :GRN>
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

QuoteI wish everyone would stop talking about how great these guitars are. I CAN NOT BUY ANOTHER LARRIVEE, I CAN NOT BUY ANOTHER LARRIVEE, I CAN NOT BUY ANOTHER LARRIVEE.....

I know what you mean!

I'm thinking if I sell my L-05MT and the OM-21 that I don't play much anymore.  I could get a 000-60!  Oh man, is that GAS I'm feeling?

Steve  :GRN>