Theory Book Suggestions

Started by Play2praiseHim, April 28, 2004, 12:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can someone here recommend a book that is good for learning bar chord theory and how to write songs on guitar. Need something for someone who does not read music and is easy to follow. Something that shows what chords are in what key, how to transpose, and chord progressions, and chord theory......you know like the V chord can be a 7th or minor.  and Major chord represent happy feelings and minor chords reflect sadness. And the V chrod is always 1 string over and 2 frets down .  That sort of thing.   Thanks

You might want to check out the Skeptical Guitarist book's.www.skepticalguitarist.com. :)  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I went to his website & was impressed enough with what I read, that I'm checkingout the second & third theory books. I think I'm past the first one, but I'll see when they get here.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

QuoteYou might want to check out the Skeptical Guitarist book's.www.skepticalguitarist.com. :)
John Standefer recommends this book as well.  John's workshop was a real eye opener in music theory.  Even our music director (who doesn't know a thing about guitars) enjoyed and learned from his workshop...
Mike Jones

Larrivee D-03R
K&K Pure Western P/U
Seagull S 12+
Ultrasound Ag30P
ESP EC 100-QM
Webstrings Lights

Music Theory for Modern Guitar
by Thomas P. Ohmsen

Flat Five Press

Steve

The Skeptical Guitarist books arrived (#s 2&3), and I'm impressed. The graphic designer in me wants to redo the typography (but I'm also a compulsive proofreader), but the information is good, and his explanations are clear & thorough. He leaves no question unanswered, which is good when you're working on your own. I don't know how many theory/fretboard/scale books I've bought, and never finished because I'd get stuck (or really bored). I really hit the wall with Fretboard Logic, so I'm glad these are much more helpful.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R