L-09 Vs L-10

Started by El Kabong, September 12, 2003, 11:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are there differences in the wood? Design? Manufacturing? or just extra eye candy?

All eye candy,but what eye candy
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

A good question!

I used to be convinced that the sound quality of both were identical since (presumably) they supposedly use the same quality wood.

However, I ordered an L-10-12 about a year ago and it was very late in coming. So, I was offered an L-09-12 to use while mine was being made.

I was a bit underwealmed by the L-09-12 but used it without great enthusiasm for about 6 months.

Then my L-10-12 arrived and "WOW!" What a difference! I nickname my new L-10-12 "The Bell Tower." It is simply the most impressive 12-string guitar I have ever played.

I'm not saying that an L-10 will always outperform an L-09, but it certainly is the case in my (albeit limited) experience.

Griff
Larrivée: LJ-10 Custom (Gryphon)
L-10-12 (Bell Tower)
Parlour Koa Special Edition (Sweet Baby)
Gibson: 1951 Southern Jumbo ('Tiger')

I guess it's like gold tuners over chrome ones. One hype from Martin owners I read once is  that the 40 series resonate better than the others due to the top being able to vibrate more due to the routing for the body inlays...but I chalk that up to a mind game rationalization for spending twice the money. :ph34r:

I opted for the series 10 Presentation Models in my koa collection. Tonally, there is really no difference IMHO but picking up a 10 and playing it over a 9...I always thank my lucky stars for spending the extra dime...it's a vibe thing for me. ;)
Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa
Composite Acoustics Cargo
UnclRob's Parts Telecaster

I think there is a difference. My friend plays an L09 and I have an L10. Mine seems a lot brighter sounding regardless of strings used.  

Nah. The differences are in the individual guitars. I had an OM10 for a while. It was nowhere near as good as Larry's OM10. And before that I had an OM09 that was much better than my OM10.

It's just eye candy difference. An L09 is as likely to be better than the L10 as vice versa. You have to play them to see which is better!

You may be right JasonA. But I have tried other L10's and there is a marked difference. Either my friend got a lemon (L09) or I'm suffering from a hearing impairment (maybe both). In any event, I'm glad I chose the L10. There is at least a psychological benefit to owning one of these beauties.