Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Direct Box w/ volume control (maybe tone) vs. a preamp  (Read 2119 times)
douglas225

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2006, 10:43:35 AM »

Has anyone out there had any experience with this topic?

I have a Fishman Natural Matrix II in a J200. Currently, i go through a direct box into the PA and the volume is adjusted by others...which is a problem. All in all though the sound is good.

The referenced direct box is nothing special...probably pretty cheap.

Based upon my little knowledge, it looks like the Aura is pretty much like a direct box with modeling, volume control, etc... It is actually more than i need at a price more than i want to spend. I was wondering if there is something else out there kind of like a DI with volume control (maybe like the Aura, but cheaper).

I know there is the option of an offboard preamp, but for some reason i am avoiding that. maybe i just need to go that route and keep the DI box?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Doug
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 11:38:34 AM »

Hi Doug,

There are quite a few good products out there that will fit your application:

LR Baggs Para DI
LR Baggs Gig Pro
Tech21 Para Driver
Fishman Pro EQ
Behringer ADI21

If you are going into a PA where "the volume is adjusted by others" just about the worst thing that you can do is change the output level sent to the PA mid-set. If the volume keeps changing (from the sound person's perspective) the two of you will start to fight one another for control. For proper sound in the venue the sound person needs to have a fairly consistant signal level coming from your instrument so that the gain, EQ and compression can be optimized.

If stage monitoring is a problem for you, perhaps you should look at a small acoustic amp that you can use as a personal monitor, and maintain full control over. Often these have a preamp DI that can be utilized for the PA.

Ron

douglas225

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 11:45:47 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I did a little research on each  of the ones you suggested and it appears that most fit into the 100 to 200 dollar range and perform the functions that i was looking for, but the Behringer is only like 45 bucks.....does it not line up to the others in performance?

One of the reviews that i read indicated that the Fishman really helped out a jumbo with a passive peizo....that is my situation exactly....although mine does not sound bad currently, but maybe could be improved upon.

Thanks again and look forward to your thoughts.

Doug
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 12:17:46 AM »

http://shorelinemusic.com/closeouts.shtml

have a K&K Pure preamp for $50

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 04:57:56 AM »

http://shorelinemusic.com/closeouts.shtml

have a K&K Pure preamp for $50
anyone got any idea how these sound/hold up/compare against the Baggs unit? i have a K&K in my guitar and currently just plug in a cheap DI and am completely at the mercy of my soundman at the board. he does a great job, but sometimes i really would like better sound shaping. i had a Gigpro but it crapped out on me in just a few short months (which really surprised me, since its a Baggs product....kind of soured me on them honestly)
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2006, 02:33:06 PM »

anyone got any idea how these sound/hold up/compare against the Baggs unit? i have a K&K in my guitar and currently just plug in a cheap DI and am completely at the mercy of my soundman at the board. he does a great job, but sometimes i really would like better sound shaping. i had a Gigpro but it crapped out on me in just a few short months (which really surprised me, since its a Baggs product....kind of soured me on them honestly)
The K&K preamps sound and work extremely well.  The EQ is VERY effective.  Highly recommended.  If you can get one for $50 go for it - you'll never regret it.  And I think that one at Shoreline is a belt-clip preamp.  Or you can set it on the floor.

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
expatCanuck

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 03:33:12 PM »

The K&K preamps sound and work extremely well.  The EQ is VERY effective.  Highly recommended.  If you can get one for $50 go for it - you'll never regret it.  And I think that one at Shoreline is a belt-clip preamp.  Or you can set it on the floor.
David

Or you can have my slightly used one for $25, incl. shipping.
My old K&K pickup went in a guitar long since sold,
and I'm now using the iMix -- have no need for the pre-amp.
It's just sitting on a shelf.
 - Richard

oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 03:41:18 PM »

I'll take you up on that offer, if Doug doesn't want it. I don't mind paying a little extra to cover the cross border shipping.

Ron

douglas225

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 08:13:15 PM »

Richard,

I would love to give your K&K a shot...thanks for the offer.

Do you think it would match up well with my fishman matrix II in the gibson jumbo200?
expatCanuck

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 11:24:40 PM »

Do you think it would match up well with my fishman matrix II in the gibson jumbo200?

Dunno.  No experience.

- Richard

oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

douglas225

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 11:39:23 PM »

Richard,

I shot you a direct message with my contact information. Give me a buzz to set up arrangements for the K&K preamp.

Thanks, Doug
MJG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 12:13:51 AM »

Richard,

I would love to give your K&K a shot...thanks for the offer.

I'd go with the LR Baggs PADI as they were engineered to warm up piezo pick ups.  JMHO

Mike <><
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2006, 07:09:11 PM »

Richard, i responded to your email. If you didn't get it let me know.

Ron

expatCanuck

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2006, 09:44:54 PM »

Ron - I got it. I've been busy trying to set up a home recording 'studio'. 
(Please see my recent posting in the Larrivee guitars section).

- Richard

oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

SR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 12:37:03 AM »

Doug I have a guitar with the fishman ag pickup in it. What I did for controll was bought the Ultrasound DI Preamp box to plug into the PA at the church.

The sound was very good and natural.

So my vote would be in this case for the Ultrasound DI Preamp.

douglas225

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 11:49:27 AM »

As it turns out i bought the aura. I am pleased with the results so far. It meets the criteria I was trying to accomplish.

It acts obviously as a DI and does have volume control - although the volume control is actually accomplished by programing increases in boost. Lastly, the blender does work well. There is a notable difference between the quack of the piezo and the blended sound that the box provides.

Over time I think that i will be able to improve more upon what i have programed in the machine so far. The default settings are good out of the box, but i have found that it makes a difference being able to even further adjust the EQ settings. In fact, that is where i am right now....never had the ability to play with EQ's, there are an infinite amount of variations. Plus you have the ability to provide "compression", which the book says is "filling" out of chords - i would be interested to know if anyone might be able to provide a better definition or description for compression.

Thanks for all the replies....I would be interested to know what anyone else thinks about their aura

Doug
tiktok

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 04:02:38 AM »

What sounds good to you onstage may not be the best tone for the audience listening through the PA, so I'd advise a small monitor amp for your monitoring needs which includes a "pre-EQ DI out" on the back.  I know the Trace Acoustic amps had this option.  That way you can split your signal from the guitar and send it unaltered to the soundman (where he will in all likelyhood ruin it) and then apply any desired EQ/reverb/chorus/whatever for your own needs.  Or, if you have/find a small amp that you like the sound of but it doesn't have the pre-EQ DI out, then put a DI in front of the amp, send the XLR feed to the soundguy and the hi-Z out to the amp.

I found the Baggs to sound okay, but I had one of the early versions which had the unreadable black on brown knobs, which made it a PITA under most stage lighting conditions.  It does have the useful phase reversal switch which is great for quick low-end feedback problems.  My personal preference is the Tech21 which is easy to read and has their "blend" knob which is some custom eq/compression combination which serves to tame piezo quack when applied appropriately.  Of course, you don't have to use it, but it's a very useful option in my experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: