00 owners

Started by pickyfingers, June 27, 2006, 06:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Although I do still have a lot of brand loyality for CF Martin - I just purchased a 00-50 as my only small body guitar. What a complete suprise - the sound, playability, and quality was a complete shock! I had an opportunity to play both the 60 and the 50 - but deceided on the 50 (I've never owned a mahog guitar before) because of it's old style tone. The oversized soundhole and shortscale give it a really nice sound.

I use it mainly with fingerpicks for folk and traditional - and I'd be interested in other owners' feelings on the playability and sound. I find this little gem so much fun to play - that all I find myself working on these days is picking arrangements. "City of New Orleans" has never sounded more authentic !

:mellow:

06 Maple Blossom
06 00SP
04 00028NB
88 D28

Welcome to the forum.

I've been playing Larrivee's for a few years
(or instruments by his students, student's students  :GRN>, and builders influenced by his designs
(Hmmm -- that'd be most Canadian builders)).

Recently acquired a '95 00-19 of which I'm rather fond.  Sitka top, IR back & sides.

I think it's nicely balanced.  You can hear it on my web site (www.oldwithoutmoney.com).

Cocaine Blues was recorded on my 00, mic only (an AT2020).
(The other two were recorded on my L-09, a mix of the mic and the iMix pickup.)

- Richard
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures

Quote from: pickyfingers on June 27, 2006, 06:12:29 AM
Although I do still have a lot of brand loyality for CF Martin - I just purchased a 00-50 as my only small body guitar. What a complete suprise - the sound, playability, and quality was a complete shock! I had an opportunity to play both the 60 and the 50 - but deceided on the 50 (I've never owned a mahog guitar before) because of it's old style tone. The oversized soundhole and shortscale give it a really nice sound.

I'm showing the 00 series with a 25.5 scale length. I don't think of this as "short scale".
Am I looking at a misprint?

I got an 00-50 TSB a few weeks ago.  It's a beautiful guitar, but I admit that I'm still getting used to the sound and trying to figure out what it's best for.  I'll listen to Richard's clips and get (steal) some ideas!

FYI, pickyfingers (and Queequeg), I'm pretty sure the scale is 25.5".

Edit: Richard, your guitar on the clip of "Cocaine" sounds exactly like mine.  They really are good for that old-time and blues sound, aren't they?
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Welcome picky fingers,

I own a 00-50 and love it.  Great little couch guitar! The mahogany sound appealed to me over the darker sound of the rosewood. It doesn't have the volume nor as much resonance/tone as my 000-50 but I like the 1 3/4" nut width over the 000-50's 1 13/16 nut width. Hmmm, decision coming perhaps?
Though my 00-50 has a long scale length, (25.5).

gtrplayer

Quote from: Tycho on June 27, 2006, 09:17:59 AM
Edit: Richard, your guitar on the clip of "Cocaine" sounds exactly like mine.  They really are good for that old-time and blues sound, aren't they?

Tycho -
I do like the old-timey sound.
Does yours has a 1 13/16" nut width?
Mine's 1 3/4" -- I recently sold a comparable instrument because I just could not effectively play a 1 13/16" nut.

Quote from: gtrplayer on June 27, 2006, 09:20:10 AM
...The mahogany sound appealed to me over the darker sound of the rosewood. ...
gtrplayer

gtrplayer -
You think my IR 00 (http://www.oldwithoutmoney.com/cocaine.mp3) sounds dark?

- Richard
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures

The 00-50 also has a 1 3/4" nut.

Richard's 00 actually sounds pretty similar to mine in that clip, even though mine is mahogany and has the slightly different features of the 50 and 60 series.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

oops............brain dead for a moment there - the "short scale" was the "others guys" guitar!!

The scale is 25.5 - but seems hard to believe, after putting down a dred and picking up this baby. (but this is my first "small body" guitar) Yes the nut is 1 3/4 - I was also worried about 1 13/16 being juat a tad to wide. Anyway, the sound is really what I was looking for, simple but not too clanky. The fit and finish also suprised me, great neck, - very nice. I feel lucky to have found it - at quite a savings from a Martin equivalent!!

06 Maple Blossom
06 00SP
04 00028NB
88 D28

Good to have you with us!  Post often!   I'm going to have to try "City of New Orleans" on my 00-50.

Although we're all obviously big Larrivee fans here, you'll find that more than a few of us have Martins that we love as well.

Not to mention Santa Cruzes, Breedloves, Collingses, Dana Bs....

D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

I mentioned earlier that I was still getting used to the sound of my 00-50.

I was noodling on it this morning while waiting for my better half to get ready.  When she came downstairs, she said, "That guitar sounds so beautiful."

That helps!
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02