Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I Need A Bone Saddle For My Walnut Parlor?  (Read 1436 times)
APG

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2003, 03:16:41 AM »

Just purchased this guitar a couple of weeks ago and it has become my favorite form the rest I have. It has lots of sustain and good intonation.  Should I mess with it? The only change I have made so far are ebony pins. I have read a bone saddle does make a better sounding guitar but am not sure. I only play fingerstyle vintage blues with it.
Koamon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2003, 04:59:32 AM »

I just had a bone saddle made for my all koa parlour. It definitely transfers more of the string vibration to the top and gives it a fuller and meatier tone. I find that I can strum and fingerpick harder without it sounding thin and brittle. In fact it sounds like a bigger bodied guitar. There was a Walnut parlour in the shop where I got the work done and I always thought it sounded as good as my koa but just a tad more airy. However, after the bone went in the Koa, I thought the walnut sounded a bit thin with the factory saddle. Just my humble opinion. As long as you don't widen the saddle slot you can always replace it with the factory orginal if you don't like it but I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

FYI, I also had a DM Sweetspot installed and the parlour sounds great plugged in as well. (very balanced electrically for a little guy)

Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa
Larrivee all Koa Parlor Special Edition
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Perigord

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2003, 02:55:46 PM »

Koaman,
 Can we see pics of your all Koa ? !!!
APG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2003, 06:01:29 PM »

Koamon,

You have convinced me. I ordered one today. I guess I will have to do some sanding on the sides to make it fit. I had a Taylor 314 K with spruce top and Koa back and sides but wasn't thrilled with the sound. I did play a different guitar with Koa top and thought it was great. An all Koa parlor might be in my future.
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2003, 05:22:58 AM »

How can I get these parts for  my rosewood parlor?  Are these easy fixes, something I can do myself or should I take it to an authorized repairman?

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
APG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2003, 03:39:27 PM »

First Quality Music Supply has compensated bone saddles for the parlor. You will have to sand the sides a bit for a proper fit The original is easily removed but if you are not sure, have someone qualified do it for you.`
Koamon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2003, 08:18:21 PM »

At Luthier Mecchantile  www.lmii.com  you can probably get a bone saddle, just get the right thickness so it's a tight fit, or you can have one made for you by your trusty repairman. UnclRob did mine. He didn't compensate it but after playing it, I didn't really notice a difference. If you are picky you might notice a difference past the 12th fret, but I don't. It's a 12 fret neck anyway! I would obviously advise you to have your trained repairman to install the bridge pickup. Personally, I like the Dean Markley Sweetspot with a stereo endpin jack. I plan to have a DM or similar soundboard pickup installed and wired to the sleeve of the jack for use in my outboard Fishman Blender and Rane AP-13. On my other larger guitars is use the Sweetspot along with a Crown GLM 200 in one and a Rane gooseneck condenser mic in the other.

The Tor-tis OM Pickguard radius may have to be shaved with a safety razor to contour to the smaller soundhole but I did it myself. You need to remove the satin clear one with a little heat from a hair dryer set on medium but don't rush it as you peel it off. Slowly but surely. The sticky glue will come off rubbing it with a clean cotton cloth soaked with naphtha. There's a FYI site to tell you how...but it's not rocket science just use good common  sense.

As you can see, I like to personally tweak my guitars ad nauseaum. UnclRob refers to the Koamon as "The Analist" :huh:

Good Luck, Koamon

Larrivee LC-10 Koa
Larrivee DV-10 Koa
Larrivee all Koa Parlor Special Edition
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: