Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pick-up for aggressive playing?  (Read 1060 times)
gazman56

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2006, 12:02:43 AM »

I'd consider myself an aggressive rhthymn player, I was wondering if that would effect my choice of pick up for my D-03 or LV-03. I've been looking into the iBeam active and passive, Fishman Matrix, and Martin Gold Plus natural. All suggestions welcome  :TON>
MJG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 12:11:52 AM »

My K&K Pure Western handles anything I throw at it...and I can be very heavy handed and percussive.  So far the best pick up I've experienced. 

Mike <><
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 12:56:45 PM »

+1 for K&K Pure Western Mini.  It's hard to believe a $90 pickup can be so good, but it really is.  Read the reviews on harmony central. K&K sounds like your guitar, so if your guitar sounds good with heavy stumming, so will the K&K. 
I have them on three guitars now, soon to be four.

Here's a clip of one of mine. It's not heavy strumming, but it sound just like my guitar:
http://home.mchsi.com/~dberch/MP3s/The_Fisherman.mp3
K&K Pure western, direct in, on a Larrivee OM-05MT

iBeam is very good too, but far more prone to feedback than K&K.

If you play in VERY loud settings, you might consider a sound-hole mag like the Sunrise or the Baggs M1.  They don't sound much like your guitar, but are nearly impervious to feedback.

Good luck!
David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 04:54:33 PM »

If you play in VERY loud settings, you might consider a sound-hole mag like the Sunrise or the Baggs M1.  They don't sound much like your guitar, but are nearly impervious to feedback.

Am thinking about to trying a K&K mini plus an M1 in a yet to be named guitar into a Baggs dual preamp. I'm hoping that allows me to dial between the best of both worlds as needed.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 05:52:06 PM »

Am thinking about to trying a K&K mini plus an M1 in a yet to be named guitar into a Baggs dual preamp. I'm hoping that allows me to dial between the best of both worlds as needed.

You might want to consider a new D-TAR Solistice or K&K Quantum, or a used Rane AP-13 (it would need a resistor mod) or used Raven Labs PMB instead of a BAggs.  Better build and more robust eq.  A SBT/mag combination can be great.  Don't scrimp on the pre/eq.
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 11:44:29 AM »

You might want to consider a new D-TAR Solistice or K&K Quantum, or a used Rane AP-13 (it would need a resistor mod) or used Raven Labs PMB instead of a BAggs.  Better build and more robust eq.  A SBT/mag combination can be great.  Don't scrimp on the pre/eq.

Thanks for the advice... I'll take a look at them.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
gazman56

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 10:57:47 AM »

Thanks for all the responses and help. I think I'll be going with the K&K Pure Western Mini for my D-03SP.  :mellow:
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 03:15:26 PM »

I think you'll like the K&K.  I did a small venue with mine yesterday -plugged straight into my AER Compact 60.  Had a jazz player in the audience ask my where the mic was!  He couldn't believe it was a pickup. 

We'd all love to hear how it works out for you.  Check back with a review....

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: