G String Popping

Started by joxter, June 22, 2006, 01:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Now there's a title for ya! ^_^

The last few times I have had to tune up my G on the OM-03, I turn and turn and nothing is happening...  then pop,  its sharp.  Sounds like its coming from the bridge but I can't be sure.  Then I back it back down and bring it up to key and its fine.

What is binding?  This didn't happen before.  Do you think its pissed that I got a D-03R??   :GRN>
Richard

Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee L-05MT
Martin 000-28
Martin 000-28
Martin D35
Ovation Balladeer
Fender Mexi-Tele

I've had that  happen too.  I am sure it's at the nut...but the guitar has a way of making all the wierd stuff sound like its coming from the bridge/saddle. 

I am betting you need to clean out some kind of residue/buildup in the nut slot.  Try using some fshing line or floss.

..chris

2005 Larrivee L-03R "Elle"
2005 Seagull S6+ Spruce -"Doc"
2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

Don't just practice -  practice  RIGHT!

Above links point to string binding in nut.

E. Shoaf

Hey yeah, that happens on my OM-03R ever so slightly.  Only a couple of months old.
I thought I was strumming too hard with a medium flat pick.

Make sure the ball at the end of the string is flush with the bottom of your bridge.

Does that make sense??? :UND>
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

As you can see from one of the threads listed above I had this problem with my OM....I the end of the G string that I cut off and ran it back and forth through the slot a few time....this seems to have widened it up enough so that it is no longer a problem....but again I will raise the question...why is it always the G string...seems to be a recurring problem.  Perhaps the folks in the shop need to make this slot a tad wide wider?

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

I had the same problem with the G string poping on my D-03R. The string broke at the nut and sometimes near the bridge. I don't play hard and use a light pick. My solution was to switch strings. I got away from Elixor and use a coated D'Addario. EXP11's. Long life and NO G string breaking.

Mike

I have used this on a couple of guitars with string binding problems. It works real well. If you use it on a bone saddle it will slightly discolor the bone where it soaks in. It does fade in after a while.

http://www.fqms.com/GHS_Graphitall_String_Lube_-_C_P14112C2544.cfm
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29