books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 21, 2022, 04:04:16 PM
Arrived today... looking forward to perusing it (letting it warm up to room temp first! It's below 0 here!).

Pictured with a few other morning favorites:

:bowdown:
Very cool!  May you read it in good health for many years. 

Currently reading:

THE ODYSSEY by Homer

I haven't read a 'book' for years.

I like to tell people that I don't read just to get a reaction.  However, I think that's because I had to read so much when I was working.  These days, when I get around to it, need time to play guitars after all, I read sci/fi short stories.  I like the bite size nature of these 'cause I can read a whole story at a sitting.  Currently finishing up vol 4 'The Years Best Science Fiction' and just read a story by Elizabeth Bear called 'Okay, Glory' about a house that was built with AI controlling things and things go kind of wrong when the AI gets hacked. 

Anybody remember Caleb--who actually started this thread?

I am reading White Oleander by Janet Fitch.

Quote from: ryler on February 18, 2022, 07:25:15 PM

Yes for sure also went by TheCreature. Sadly he hasn't been around in about 5 years
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Yes, The Creature!  He was fairly active.  I hope he is well.  He was quite the avid reader.

Quote from: ryler on February 20, 2022, 04:18:00 PMI hope he is well.  He was quite the avid reader.

Yeah me too, I admired his intelligence
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Reading "The Body Keeps the Score", discussion of the impact of childhood trauma and steps in healing. Very personal, very good.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Just finished "Billy Summers" written by Stephen King. 
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

Just starting A Beautiful Question: Finding Nature's Deep Design by Frank Wilczek.
The author won the Nobel prize in physics in 2004. His work has also been anthologized in the Best American Science Writing. His column, Wilczek Universe is a monthly feature in the Wall Street Journal.
He is a professor of physics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and chief scientist at the Wilczek Quantum Center in China.

Quote from: ryler on February 18, 2022, 07:25:15 PM
Hello...  I didn't realize anyone had ever noticed, but since he was brought up, Caleb is doing fine.  Actually, I am Caleb/the creature.  I didn't know it had been five years till I checked just now, but I had been off the forum for a while back then, and when I came back at some point I realized I couldn't get logged back in.  I had to re-register and chose one of Ben Franklin's old pseudonyms for a new username (in hindsight I should have contacted one of the mods but didn't think of it then).  The mods are free to change my name back to Caleb, or to open back up my old account if possible, or they can just leave things as they are.  (Though I am generally ignorant of such things, I'm sure they can see my IP address and verify all this.) Either way, it was nice to be missed.  I'm still reading a ton of books, but I don't list all of them here.  I've also become a full-blown podcast-addict, which does cut into my audiobook time quite a bit.  

By way of tangential trajectory.... I am not one to name things at least not often, but I decided by Forum VI was just too pretty to go unnamed. So, inspired by a recent re-reading, she is now known as Nimloth the Fair. I suspect more than a few of you know the origin.

Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Quote from: Hooked on March 08, 2022, 10:14:06 AM
By way of tangential trajectory.... I am not one to name things at least not often, but I decided by Forum VI was just too pretty to go unnamed. So, inspired by a recent re-reading, she is now known as Nimloth the Fair. I suspect more than a few of you know the origin.

The King's Tree.  Nice reference to something made of wood.  I like it.

I like knowing that Silence Dogood is really the creature.   That's just trippy.  I considered you one of our long lost members, Caleb.  Welcome back, O Ye Who Never Left...for very long, that is.

Quote from: ryler on March 08, 2022, 01:48:36 PM
I like knowing that Silence Dogood is really the creature.   That's just trippy.  I considered you one of our long lost members, Caleb.  Welcome back, O Ye Who Never Left...for very long, that is.
:wave

I picked up and put down two books recently:  White Oleander by Janet Fitch: Too brooding.  Nothing good ever happened. And On Beauty by Zadie Smith:  A character-driven novel whose characters could not drive.  While each book could have been finishable, I have changed my standards on how I spend my time.  If I'm not excited to get back to it, there is a better book to have a dalliance with for me.

I am now reading The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles (author of A Gentleman in Moscow).  I am very early into this tome of a book, but as with his other books, this one has me eager to return.

Anybody ever read the book Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts?  A large book, but I found it fantastic.  Based on the author's real life experience. 
Larrivee P-03
Epiphone USA Texan
2023  Larrivee L-09

Quote from: StringPicker6 on March 15, 2022, 05:25:23 AM
Anybody ever read the book Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts?  A large book, but I found it fantastic.  Based on the author's real life experience. 

No, but I checked it out on Amazon.  Its rates well and sounds intriguing.

Quote from: ryler on March 14, 2022, 05:14:48 PM
I picked up and put down two books recently:  White Oleander by Janet Fitch: Too brooding.  Nothing good ever happened. And On Beauty by Zadie Smith:  A character-driven novel whose characters could not drive.  While each book could have been finishable, I have changed my standards on how I spend my time.  If I'm not excited to get back to it, there is a better book to have a dalliance with for me.

I am now reading The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles (author of A Gentleman in Moscow).  I am very early into this tome of a book, but as with his other books, this one has me eager to return.
I used to finish a book pretty much no matter what, but I eventually also came to the conclusion that my time is too valuable to spend on books I don't enjoy. 

I wasn't sure just where to post this. Some of you might be aware of my interest in popular science.
Monday was pi day. You know; 3.14.
Before I lose too many of you who may be entirely turned off to all things math, there's a fascinating guitar video at the end of this post as your reward. :nana_guitar

How many of you are familiar with the Fibonacci sequence and the irrational number, phi or ϕ (1.61803)?
Now, here are my two Mario Livio book recommendations:
Is God a Mathematician?
and
The Golden Ratio: The Story of PHI, the World's Most Astonishing Number

I am not a scientist. But I do enjoy popular science books and Mario Livio writes in plain English that even lay people such as myself can comprehend.  :arrow
Mario Livio is an Israeli-American and he was an astrophysicist at the Space Telescope Science Institute, which operates the Hubble Space Telescope.
OK, here's the 11-minute guitar video I promised.
https://youtu.be/7bod8x0LgJs