Pages: 1 ... 101 [102]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 425006 times)
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2020 on: August 09, 2020, 02:46:14 AM »

I was daunted by War and Peace.  Too many characters.  Gimme some Dostoevsky over Tolstoy.  I'm reading something by Richard Flanagan now.  I'm trying to like it, but can't quite  get there.  I'll let you know. 
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #2021 on: August 22, 2020, 03:48:18 PM »

I've been rereading THE GRAPES OF WRATH by John Steinbeck.   I grabbed this quote that I thought would be enjoyed by everyone here:

"And perhaps a man brought out his guitar in front of his tent, and he sat on a box to play, and everyone in the camp moved slowly in toward him, drawn toward him.  Many men can chord a guitar, but perhaps this man was a picker.  There you have something: the deep chords beating, beating, while the melody runs on the strings like little footsteps--heavy, hard fingers marching on the frets."
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2022 on: August 22, 2020, 04:37:01 PM »

Love that quote!
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #2023 on: August 22, 2020, 05:49:34 PM »

Love that quote!
Me too.  I remembered something about that quote from my first reading (from about 15 years ago) and was on the lookout for it.  Knew I'd grab it this time around. 
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #2024 on: August 27, 2020, 04:27:19 AM »

Just finished BRAVE NEW WORLD by Aldous Huxley.   Did not enjoy at all.  Had tried this one years ago and gave up on it because I simply could not mentally enter the world Huxley created.  I stayed with it and finished it but still could not enter in.   I understand the prophetic and even brilliant insights he had about modernity, but it just was not a good story to me. 

Currently reading JOHNNY TREMAIN by Esther Forbes.  I love Colonial America (see user name) and have wanted to read this one for a long time.   
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2025 on: August 28, 2020, 12:03:30 AM »

I read Johnny Tremain about 45 years ago.  I remember loving it.  I, too, tried Brave New World a long time ago and did not like it well enough to finish it.  Well, now you can cross it off your list of books that that conquered you. You conquered it, so there.  What are you moving on to? 

I'm reading "Adulterio" by Paulo Coelho.  I read book in Spanish to keep up my skill with that language.  My reading comprehension is MUCH better than my listening comprehension.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2026 on: August 28, 2020, 01:04:05 AM »

The Berrybender Narratives by Larry McMurtry. Four Volumes and I'm on the second. Monty Python meets Lonesome Dove? Good stuff. Funny. 
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #2027 on: August 28, 2020, 04:34:17 AM »

I read Johnny Tremain about 45 years ago.  I remember loving it.  I, too, tried Brave New World a long time ago and did not like it well enough to finish it.  Well, now you can cross it off your list of books that that conquered you. You conquered it, so there.  What are you moving on to? 

I'm reading "Adulterio" by Paulo Coelho.  I read book in Spanish to keep up my skill with that language.  My reading comprehension is MUCH better than my listening comprehension.
I blazed through JOHNNY TREMAIN in two days.  It was wonderful.   I’d even call it a masterpiece of its kind.  It was especially nice how she wove in real heroes of the Revolution—like Dr Joseph Warren, Paul Revere, Sam Adams, et al—into the story.  Highly recommended if you like historical fiction and particularly American history. 

Not sure what I’m on to next...
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2028 on: August 30, 2020, 05:37:35 AM »

To balance out my reading of "Mere Christianity", which makes you think really hard - I'm having a reading 'dessert' of the latest in Alexander McCall-Smith's series on Detective Varg, "The Talented Mr. Varg"

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #2029 on: August 31, 2020, 10:20:00 PM »

I tend to re-read much of the time since a first reading hardly does justice to any book, and if it’s one that really speaks to me I always find more in additional readings.   But I am always on the lookout for new things.   I randomly picked up THE RIVER BETWEEN US by Richard Peck at my local library.  It is historical fiction set in the Civil War.   It wasn’t terrible but none of the characters were memorable or grabbed me.  I did seem immersed in the world of the time period for much of the book, so the writer did a good job there. 

I’m now re-reading 1984 by George Orwell.  It’s been about 15 years since my last reading of it. 
WillettaZavala

Ignore
« Reply #2030 on: September 16, 2020, 10:41:53 AM »

I am reading Tom's Midnight Garden with my niece. Just want to enhance her interest in book reading and remembering childhood days :)
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2031 on: September 16, 2020, 11:45:08 PM »

If I didn't mention it earlier, I'm reading The Overstory by Richard Powers.  It's surprisingly interesting.  Fiction, where the central characters are trees.  Lots of botanical education within, which sounds dull, but isn't.  He blends the human characters in with the lives of trees.  Oh, this sounds like the trees are phantasmagorical, but they're just trees.  Hard to describe, but I like it so far.
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #2032 on: September 20, 2020, 03:27:23 PM »

I just finished LAND OF HOPE: AN INVITATION TO THE GREAT AMERICAN STORY by Wilfred McClay.   This book was just great.  It takes you all the way from the pre-Columbus explorers and goes up to the present time.  Of course a lot is missed, but the highlights are there, and it connects everything nicely in a balanced way (i.e. it's not right- or left-leaning).  I learned a lot and enjoyed it thoroughly.  

On deck is SATAN IS REAL: THE BALLAD OF THE LOUVIN BROTHERS by Charlie Louvin. 
Pages: 1 ... 101 [102]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: