books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoot both of my trucks are close to yours. My R1150RT BMW is the only one with low miles. 26,000.
    Anyway these days I'm only reading the bible. Helps keep me same in an insane era.

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 25, 2018, 08:22:54 PM
Peterson is fantastic. He gives some people immense clarity and other's ... the vapors.    :laughin:
The thing I like about Peterson is that he has brought common sense back into the public arena in a big way.  He is really only reminding us of things that previous generations knew were a given.  I like him a lot and am glad he has put himself out there like he has. 

Quote from: Danny on August 26, 2018, 02:39:01 AM

Anyway these days I'm only reading the bible. Helps keep me same in an insane era.
I go through phases like this myself.  I'll read a lot and then go back to just reading the Bible for long stretches.  I'm not sure if this is anyone else's experience or not, but I have a lot of copies of the Bible, and I find that distracting at times.  I tend to enjoy hauling around one copy to read from and treating it like it was something I saved up for or that is very precious to me, when in reality I could get a dollar copy of a Bible at my local thrift store anytime.  When I take along "my Bible" to work to read at break times and lunch, and haul it back home to have by the bedside and during my morning coffee in the kitchen, it ends up seeming more precious to me.   (This is not a religious discussion but more about one man's idiosyncrasies.)

Reading Chris Hadfield's book, An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth.  Just finished reading books on John Kasich and Joe Biden.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I got a nice hardbound volume of Longfellow's poetry for Christmas.  Been enjoying it.  I read a lot of his poetry on my Kindle but much prefer it on paper.

The post on the Garnet Rogers book made me scroll down and find this thread...

Another bio well worth reading is Lightfoot (about Gordon Lightfoot, of course) by Nicholas Jennings. Just came out in 2017, so recent and relevant to Gord's life up to recent times. Finished it a few weeks ago, really enjoyable. His stuff is in rotation a lot these days, and I picked up his 4 CD Songbook from 1999 and Harmony from 2004 (his most recent recording, I believe).

I know this is a book thread, but I have to link one of Gord's songs from Harmony; it has really captured me, and I've been working on it - "Inspiration Lady"

Another well written "current events" book I'm about 100 pages into is Douglas Murray's The Strange Death of Europe: Immigration, Identity, Islam. This is NOT a political rant by any means - Murray is no conservative OR liberal apologist; he simply is looking at what is happening all over Europe. Interesting, Enlightening and Scary...because Canada and the U.S. aren't far behind.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I just finished David Berlinski's "The Devil's Delusion". Thought provoking.

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 02, 2019, 06:05:58 AM
I just finished David Berlinski's "The Devil's Delusion". Thought provoking.

I've watched a few of his You Tube clips (or clips of him posted by others might be more accurate). Thought provoking, indeed.

A smart man who takes no prisoners when it comes to sloppy thinking.  :doh

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 02, 2019, 08:51:51 AM
I've watched a few of his You Tube clips (or clips of him posted by others might be more accurate). Thought provoking, indeed.

A smart man who takes no prisoners when it comes to sloppy thinking.  :doh

Yes. Apparently, while many scientists mock believers, it seems they are ready to believe almost anything as long as it excludes a creator. Who knew that faith played such a huge role in science? Much of Berlinski's (who calls himself a secular Jew) book is a response to Richard Dawkins' (who refers to himself as a militant atheist) "The God Illusion". Having read both, I concluded that Dawkins had merely traded one set of beliefs for another. Berlinski points out that many modern scientific theories require as much faith in things unseen as any religion. String theory anyone? Multiple universes?   

Hi all and Mikeymac,

I was going to put my story here, but the thread was over 90 days old and wasn't sure how.  I'm glad you noticed and I'll check out the Lightfoot bio when I'm done with Garnets'.  My parents have records (33's) of Lightfoot back in the 60's so I've always been a fan.
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

Quote from: old folky on July 02, 2019, 01:58:59 PM
Hi all and Mikeymac,

I was going to put my story here, but the thread was over 90 days old and wasn't sure how.  I'm glad you noticed and I'll check out the Lightfoot bio when I'm done with Garnets'.  My parents have records (33's) of Lightfoot back in the 60's so I've always been a fan.

I used to have Gord's Gold on an LP (33 1/3 rpm), and the one with "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" on cassette! This four CD "Songbook" has just about everything a person would need to know Gord's musical story - the exception being a few gold nuggets here and there that didn't make the cut. But I think there are around 80-85 songs on the four discs... including a dozen or so unreleased tunes, most of which are actually quite good.

I'll be sure to check it out.  Barry Keane (if the spelling is right), played on one of the first Stan Rogers albums...according to what I'm reading.
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 02, 2019, 03:26:32 PM
I used to have Gord's Gold on an LP (33 1/3 rpm), and the one with "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" on cassette! This four CD "Songbook" has just about everything a person would need to know Gord's musical story - the exception being a few gold nuggets here and there that didn't make the cut. But I think there are around 80-85 songs on the four discs... including a dozen or so unreleased tunes, most of which are actually quite good.

The 4 CD set is great. Unfortunately "Gord's Gold" includes several re-recordings not as good as the originals. Early Lightfoot is the best Lightfoot.

As we near the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11, I've been reading a number of accounts of that effort. Just finished Michael Collin's book, "Carrying the Fire". Interesting man, his profiles of Armstrong and Aldrin were particularly interesting. Looking forward to attending some of the NASA events in DC this summer.

Other current reading, Bible, trying to get back into poetry - Wordsworth, Baudelaire, Frost, a gamut.

And playing my OM-40...
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 02, 2019, 10:27:17 AM

Yes. Apparently, while many scientists mock believers, it seems they are ready to believe almost anything as long as it excludes a creator. Who knew that faith played such a huge role in science? Much of Berlinski's (who calls himself a secular Jew) book is a response to Richard Dawkins' (who refers to himself as a militant atheist) "The God Illusion". Having read both, I concluded that Dawkins had merely traded one set of beliefs for another.

Berlinski points out that many modern scientific theories require as much faith in things unseen as any religion.

String theory anyone? Multiple universes?

^^^ THIS ^^^

Michael J. Behe makes much the same argument in his most recent book (one of three on this topic), Darwin Devolves: The New Science About DNA That Challenges Evolution. (Another I've been reading off and on - Kindle version.)

When Violence Is The Answer by Tim Larkin.

Well, we're STILL under the stay-at-home nonsense here in Minnesota - after the President's announcement yesterday, part of the country may start re-opening...

...it's a good time to get some reading done (especially when you get tired of watching old movies or your favorite new series on Netflix or Amazon...).

I'm about 1/3 of the way through an excellent book, The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels by Alex Epstein... reminds us that pretty much everything we enjoy today would disappear without fossil fuels (coal, petroleum and natural gas), including our health care system... an eye-opening read.

Also just started one that is VERY relevant in the light of the Chinese/Wuhan COVID-19 virus and our current economic shut-down: Bully of Asia: Why China's Dream Is The New Threat To World Order by Steven W. Mosher. A wake up call on China's centuries old vision to submit the rest of the world (with force) to a Chinese empire...

Underland
by Robert Macfarlane

From the best-selling, award-winning author of Landmarks and The Old Ways.

Hailed as "the great nature writer of this generation" (Wall Street Journal), Robert Macfarlane is the celebrated author of books about the intersections of the human and the natural realms.
Amazon.com Review
An Amazon Best Book of June 2019: Heads-up to your inner Gilgamesh: "The way into the underland is through the riven trunk of an old ash tree." Starting with that sentence, Robert Macfarlane begins an exploration of the world beneath our feet. Where his earlier book The Old Ways explored landscape and its effects on human experience, Underland dives into catacombs, caves, nuclear waste facilities, and the land beneath Greenland's shrinking ice cap to delve into the darker recesses of our imaginations, a place where artists, adventurers, and criminals have traveled, willingly and otherwise. Expanding his journey into the realm of "deep time"—a parallel expanse of past and future almost unimaginable to human intellect, but also irresistible to contemplate—Macfarlane takes us from the moment of creation into a post-human future, one that might be better off without us. Add its stunning jacket by Stanley Donwood (who creates Radiohead album covers in his spare hours), Underland is a one-of-a-kind book, deeply thoughtful, richly written, and infinitely rewarding. —Jon Foro, Amazon Book Review