books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Knowledge of the Holy" by A.W. Tozer
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Discernment by Henri Nouwen
Turn My Mourning into Dancing...also by Henri Nouwen

Defensive Living: Preserving Your Personal Saftey Through Awareness, Attitude, and Armed Action

Quote from: Hooked on January 26, 2018, 07:44:23 AM
"Knowledge of the Holy" by A.W. Tozer

Quote from: Strings4Him on January 26, 2018, 05:59:57 PM
Good book.

+1. Always worth pulling out again.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Just finished: The Book Thief by Markus Kuzak
Go Tell It On The Mountain by James Baldwin
The Road by Jack London
How To Tell A Story by Mark Twain

Currently Reading:
Unoffendable by Brent Hansen
Tribes by Seth Godin
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
On Prayer and the Contemplative Life by Saint Thomas Aquinas
The Bible on a yearly read through the Bible plan

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Recently read:
American Pravda: My Fight for Truth in the Era of Fake News by James O'Keefe III
Seeing Black and White in a Gray World: The Need for Theological Reasoning in the Church's Debate Over Sexuality by Bill T. Arnold
The Moral Vision of the New Testament by Richard B. Hays
Immortality of the Soul or Resurrection of the Dead? The Witness of the New Testament by Oscar Cullmann

Currently reading:
The Smear: How Shady Political Operatives and Fake News Control What You See, What You Think, and How You Vote by Sharyl Attkisson
Secret Empires: How the American Political Class Hides Corruption and Enriches Family and Friends by Peter Schweizer (author of Clinton Cash)
The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek
Medieval Wisdom for Modern Christians: Finding Authentic Faith in a Forgotten Age with C. S. Lewis by Chris R. Armstrong

You can recognize some obvious themes and threads... There are others, but I'll list those after I finally get them finished... I DO finish books, some more quickly than others, but I find myself picking up a few new ones - sometimes because they've been recommended by an author I'm currently reading.

Mark Twain's Letters From The Earth.

Just finished: Tribes  - Seth Godin

Now Reading:
The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame

It's been many pages since I mentioned that there's 'an app for that' for this currently reading thread.  Goodreads.  Web version and smartphone versions.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Ordinary Grace --a coming of age novel.  good.
The End of Me by Kyle Idleman
Having a Mary Spirit by Joanna Weaver

GUITAR: AN AMERICAN LIFE by Tim Brookes.

I've got quite a back log. I caught up on Craig Johnson's Longmire series. I started reading Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon books. Just finished the Kill Artist and started the English Assassin. Off and on I'm reading How the Scot's Invented the Modern World by Arthur Herman. Struggling with the sequel to A Mote in God's Eye, The Gripping Hand. Waiting for David Berlinski's The Devil's Delusion and there's a bunch of others in the queue. Whew.   

"Reality is Not What it Seems" by Carlo Rovelli. (Author of Seven Brief Lessons on Physics".)
This one focuses on quantum gravity.
Rovelli is a serious scientist who writes for the layman. Born in Italy, he lives in France and has a US citizenship.
His books might just change how you view the universe. 

Quote from: Queequeg on May 13, 2018, 01:53:20 PM
"Reality is Not What it Seems" by Carlo Rovelli. (Author of Seven Brief Lessons on Physics".)
This one focuses on quantum gravity.
Rovelli is a serious scientist who writes for the layman. Born in Italy, he lives in France and has a US citizenship.
His books might just change how you view the universe. 

Now that sounds interesting
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: Silence Dogood on May 11, 2018, 01:34:07 PM
GUITAR: AN AMERICAN LIFE by Tim Brookes.
[/quote

A good read.  I'd love to try one of his guitars.  The process he describes is very interesting

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 03, 2018, 11:32:11 AM

Currently reading:
The Smear: How Shady Political Operatives and Fake News Control What You See, What You Think, and How You Vote by Sharyl Attkisson
Secret Empires: How the American Political Class Hides Corruption and Enriches Family and Friends by Peter Schweizer (author of Clinton Cash)
The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek
Medieval Wisdom for Modern Christians: Finding Authentic Faith in a Forgotten Age with C. S. Lewis by Chris R. Armstrong

Haven't finished the above four yet, but I've added several others. It's interesting to read a few books (5-7?) at a time: you notice common themes, relationships, crossover commentary and interpretation. Keeps my brain working...

...here are some others currently in rotation:

God and Stephen Hawking: Whose Design Is It Anyway? by John Lennox (a brilliant British mathematician)
The Devil's Delusion: Atheism and its Scientific Pretensions by David Berlinski
The Road to Serfdom: Text and Documents - The Definitive Edition by F.A. Hayek

Interesting to read Lennox's critique of Hawking, as Hawking just died recently. Brilliant as Hawking was as a scientist, his attempt at philosophy is garbled, and not convincing, as Lennox shows.

Berlinski's book, critical of Darwin and Darwinism (run amok in our culture today, despite so much advanced scientific data that shows that macro-evolution is not scientifically possible) is also excellent, although he's an interesting read - sometimes his lines of reasoning assume you know things he knows, or you get his obscure humor. Still, a great book.

Still in the forward to The Road to Serfdom, but this one's a classic, and I'm looking forward to getting into it.  :thumb

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 15, 2018, 01:25:20 PM
Haven't finished the above four yet, but I've added several others. It's interesting to read a few books (5-7?) at a time: you notice common themes, relationships, crossover commentary and interpretation. Keeps my brain working...

...here are some others currently in rotation:

God and Stephen Hawking: Whose Design Is It Anyway? by John Lennox (a brilliant British mathematician)
The Devil's Delusion: Atheism and its Scientific Pretensions by David Berlinski
The Road to Serfdom: Text and Documents - The Definitive Edition by F.A. Hayek

Interesting to read Lennox's critique of Hawking, as Hawking just died recently. Brilliant as Hawking was as a scientist, his attempt at philosophy is garbled, and not convincing, as Lennox shows.

Berlinski's book, critical of Darwin and Darwinism (run amok in our culture today, despite so much advanced scientific data that shows that macro-evolution is not scientifically possible) is also excellent, although he's an interesting read - sometimes his lines of reasoning assume you know things he knows, or you get his obscure humor. Still, a great book.

Still in the forward to The Road to Serfdom, but this one's a classic, and I'm looking forward to getting into it.  :thumb

I started Hayek last year and got bogged down. He was preaching to the converted as far as I was concerned anyway.  

I see where Tom Wolfe has passed away. Always a good read.

Quote from: ducktrapper on May 15, 2018, 03:04:40 PM
I started Hayek last year and got bogged down. He was preaching to the converted as far as I was concerned anyway.  

I see where Tom Wolfe has passed away. Always a good read.

I'll see how far I can get with Hayek...but I'm looking forward to reading some Wolfe - have had good intentions to read him for years, but must get to it now.