books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been slowly working my way through Three Days in January: Dwight Eisenhower's Final Mission by Bret Baier (of Fox News fame).

Baier is a good writer - the story moves along, there's lots of interesting background info on Ike and his family, and Baier get's into the many personalities (from President Truman to General MacArthur and others) that Ike had to deal with along the way. Also some great historical reference to Ike's leadership during WW II, which led to him being a sought after candidate for the presidency (something he himself avoided for as long as possible).

I said I'm working my way through it - I think I'm taking it slow because I'm enjoying it so much... a good read about an important time (the Cold War - Ike's concern about the "military industrial complex's" growth) - and presidential transition (from Ike to Kennedy) in our history.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Also currently reading Simply Christian: Why Christianity Makes Sense by N.T. Wright. A thoughtful, helpful explanation of the Christian faith and why Christianity is different than other monotheistic faiths, and different than pantheism and other generic "all roads lead to God" religions or belief systems.

N.T. "Tom" Wright is one of the most prolific and brilliant, cogent writers about Christianity today. Prolific - he seems to write books faster than any normal human could read them! I don't know how he does it...I seriously can't keep up (I have at least half a dozen of his books that I haven't been able to start (or if started, finish) yet!

But he's a good writer. I don't know if it's fair to compare him to C.S. Lewis - but he is one of the top apologists of the faith today, as Lewis was in his generation (and like Lewis, he's British).

Another of his books that is significant because it reorients our thinking about what will happen in "heaven" is Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church. This should be read, taught and studied in every church.  We're really got some weird - even silly - ideas about heaven that aren't biblical. Wright gets us reoriented to what scripture actually says about resurrection, eternal life, the kingdom of God and heaven, and it is hopeful, exciting and life changing in the present day.

Reading a book that would be a great gift to give to all fathers on Father's Day (I'm giving it to both of my sons-in law): Hero: Being the Strong Father Your Children Need. Just published this month, May 2017.

It's written in a style that men will easily digest, with lots of stories they'll be able to relate to (even though the author is a woman: she knows how to talk to men). I'm halfway through the book (one of the copies I'll be passing along) and already ordered another of her books on my Kindle: Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know. (She also has one for Mothers to understand how to relate to their sons.)

I'm a couple chapters into this one as well (written before Hero), and it's just as good, and covers other ground, so it's worth reading.

My four kids (two sons, two daughters) are all raised, but there's still relevant info in these books - because you never stop being your kids' dad - they always need you to encourage them and tell them you're proud of them and you love them.

Anyway - a GREAT gift idea for Fathers Day - it will have a lifetime of impact on them - much more so than a tie or a wallet...

Though to be fair, Lewis was *not* a theologian, while Wright is most certainly. 

Quote from: Mikeymac on April 04, 2017, 11:33:03 AM
Also currently reading Simply Christian: Why Christianity Makes Sense by N.T. Wright. A thoughtful, helpful explanation of the Christian faith and why Christianity is different than other monotheistic faiths, and different than pantheism and other generic "all roads lead to God" religions or belief systems.

N.T. "Tom" Wright is one of the most prolific and brilliant, cogent writers about Christianity today. Prolific - he seems to write books faster than any normal human could read them! I don't know how he does it...I seriously can't keep up (I have at least half a dozen of his books that I haven't been able to start (or if started, finish) yet!

But he's a good writer. I don't know if it's fair to compare him to C.S. Lewis - but he is one of the top apologists of the faith today, as Lewis was in his generation (and like Lewis, he's British).

Another of his books that is significant because it reorients our thinking about what will happen in "heaven" is Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church. This should be read, taught and studied in every church.  We're really got some weird - even silly - ideas about heaven that aren't biblical. Wright gets us reoriented to what scripture actually says about resurrection, eternal life, the kingdom of God and heaven, and it is hopeful, exciting and life changing in the present day.

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on May 23, 2017, 02:39:41 PM
Though to be fair, Lewis was *not* a theologian, while Wright is most certainly. 

Indeed - there are a lot of things C.S. Lewis is *not*,  but who's counting?

Now I'm re-reading The Screwtpae Letters and The Four Loves

Finally getting around to Eric Metaxas' biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer.... I don't often read biographies, think I might be missing something - this is excellent!
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Quote from: Hooked on May 23, 2017, 06:37:20 PM
Finally getting around to Eric Metaxas' biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer.... I don't often read biographies, think I might be missing something - this is excellent!

Agreed - it is excellent. I learned a lot about both Bonhoeffer and WWII.

Just finished A Sacred Journey by Frederick Buechner.  A memoir.  Now starting A Long Day's Dying by the same author.  This one is a novel.  I love him as a writer, but haven't read his fiction til now.

Recently picked up Bob Dylan: A Spiritual Life by Scott M. Marshall (on my Kindle).

Very thorough look at Dylan interviews and set lists from his shows in recent years. Marshall - while not claiming any complete knowledge or authority on Dylan's spiritual journey or current spiritual state - does give lots of compelling evidence that Dylan continues to embrace some kind of Christian faith filtered through his Jewish roots and commitments. Very well documented, and, as I said above, thorough - an in depth look at the hard data, not wild speculation that fails to take into account what Dylan is actually saying and playing these days in his mid-70's.

Amazon Link

:donut :coffee

Reading that big Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson.  About 1/2-way through.  Reading this one after reading "To Pixar and Beyond: My Unlikely Journey with Steve Jobs to Make Entertainment History".  Hoping there are some redeeming moments in the 2nd 1/2.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

:cheers :cheers
"Backyard Chickens for Beginners",  by R.J. Ruppenthal.
I am building a coop, pictures of which I will not share, and the future of our chicken raising effort probably not be shared either.
Unless it is a total success, then I will rethink.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: mike in lytle on June 14, 2017, 09:13:10 PM

Unless it is a total success, then I will rethink.

Mike

Well, if it's a total success, you can change your name to Mike Tyson...  :roll

Finished the previous Dylan book, which was very good.

Have started Bob Dylan: Behind the Shades a Biography by Clinton Heylin. This book was highly recommended in the other one I just finished (this one was published in 1991). Picked up this used hardcover copy in very good condition for $3.99 + shipping -  a bargain.

So far it's very in-depth and well written, with lots of quotes from Dylan and others who knew/know him providing historical information. Debunks some of the Dylan myths by providing accurate accounts of what really was happening early in Dylan's life/career. I think Heylin has also written either an update or a second volume on Dylan... will probably get to that one as well.

Read an abridged Moby Dick. I wanted the story and main characters, so I'd know what folks are referring to.

For my birthday (the really big one, 65) one of my twin daughters sent me Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Looking forward to reading it, possibly on one of my iron butt rides.

Shell Shocked, My life with the Turtles, Flo and Eddie, and Frank Zappa, etc.

Autobiography of Howard Kaylan.

Ed

Reading John Prine "In Spite of Himself".  An interesting, historical, and entertaining read for anyone who likes the man. 
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

The Divided Mind  Dr. John Sarno.  A totally different perspective on back and joint pain. 

Quote from: eded on October 18, 2017, 07:02:38 PM
Shell Shocked, My life with the Turtles, Flo and Eddie, and Frank Zappa, etc.

Autobiography of Howard Kaylan.

Ed

Now that could be a good read.  I saw the Mothers with flo and Eddie back early 70's.  That was when they did Billy the Mountain.  Great show.

WELSH LEGENDS AND FOLKTALES
by Dyfed Lloyd Evans