books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Caleb on October 07, 2016, 06:58:34 PM

AMERICAN SNIPER by Chris Kyle.  I saw the film last year and was pretty blown away.  His death was so pointless and tragic.  About 1/3 into the book.  Great so far.
I read this book and it was very good. Then I saw the movie, which was a bit of a let down. But after reading the book, any movie seems to lack.

Quote from: Danny on October 08, 2016, 10:04:24 AM
    I read this book and it was very good. Then I saw the movie, which was a bit of a let down. But after reading the book, any movie seems to lack.
True.  Sometimes I like watching a film first and then moving on to the book.  I'm about halfway through AMERICAN SNIPER now. The thing that strikes me a lot is how funny Kyle was.  I pulled up his memorial service on YouTube yesterday and watched some of it.  Very tragic and pointless.

Quote from: Caleb on October 08, 2016, 10:52:39 AM
True.  Sometimes I like watching a film first and then moving on to the book.  I'm about halfway through AMERICAN SNIPER now. The thing that strikes me a lot is how funny Kyle was.  I pulled up his memorial service on YouTube yesterday and watched some of it.  Very tragic and pointless.
One thing the book brings out is the large number of people who came to his parents home to pray for him, before he was killed.  That was very impressive.

Quote from: Danny on October 08, 2016, 10:58:56 AM
    One thing the book brings out is the large number of people who came to his parents home to pray for him, before he was killed.  That was very impressive.
I've got one chapter left to AMERICAN SNIPER and will prob save it till Monday.  Our soldiers are some amazing people, and I'm glad books like this are available.

Recently started BONHOEFFER: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy (A Righteous Gentile Versus the Third Reich) by Eric Metaxas.  Written @ 2010 - I just found it. Well written, goes through Bonhoeffer's boyhood and gives his family's ancestry, which includes an impressive number of important scientists, artists and theologians in pre-WW I and WW II Germany (Bonhoeffer's family were from what became East Germany after the war).

A couple things I didn't know about him - he was a twin (twin sister) and one of 8 children. He was also an excellent pianist, and considered a career as a concert pianist... lots of other interesting anecdotes, and a well written story that flows and moves.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 11, 2016, 11:32:14 AM
Recently started BONHOEFFER: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy (A Righteous Gentile Versus the Third Reich) by Eric Metaxas.  Written @ 2010 - I just found it. Well written, goes through Bonhoeffer's boyhood and gives his family's ancestry, which includes an impressive number of important scientists, artists and theologians in pre-WW I and WW II Germany (Bonhoeffer's family were from what became East Germany after the war).

A couple things I didn't know about him - he was a twin (twin sister) and one of 8 children. He was also an excellent pianist, and considered a career as a concert pianist... lots of other interesting anecdotes, and a well written story that flows and moves.
I've been meaning to read this one.

I'm currently reading "Hunger Makes Me A Modern Girl" by Carrie Brownstein.  Carrie is half of the comedy duo that does Portlandia, but also part of the punk rock band Sleater-Kinney.

Her humor as well as her wicked rhythm electric guitar skills really intrigue me.  Sleater-Kinney has some really cool interplay between the two guitarists in the band.  There's no bass player in the band, but one doesn't really miss it too much.  You have to like a little bit of punk to listen to them.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Just finished Willie Nelson's autobiography "It's a Long Story". He was quite the troubadour and drifter. His story is an open window to the life of a musician back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

Currently reading "Ghost Rider: Travelling on the Healing Road" by Neil Peart. Anyone who has lost someone special in their life can really identify with his story.

Just started David McCullough's

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Bio of The Wright Brothers...  Inspirational gents

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

"All The Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr
"The Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson (on audiobook - not recommended for audiobook, too much spelling that is read aloud)
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Pat McManus. ...... "They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?"

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 27, 2016, 08:39:27 PM
CS Lewis - The Screwtape letters.
Now, I find this extremely interesting. It's been about forty years since I have read this little book.
      I'm really looking forward to your review.

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 27, 2016, 08:39:27 PM
CS Lewis - The Screwtape letters.

Good choice - I should read again (along with Danny!). Especially considering the line of work I'm in...  :wink:

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 11, 2016, 11:32:14 AM

Finished Bonhoeffer before Christmas - can't recommend it highly enough.

Along with learning about his very interesting life and journey in battling Hitler (along with many other Germans who saw how evil Hitler was), there is lots of detail about the entire inner struggle going on in Germany during WW II that Bonhoeffer was really a very small (albeit not insignificant) part of - something that isn't addressed much in our abbreviated history books. Many of Germany's top ranking generals were disgusted with Hitler, and horrified by his treatment of Germany's "enemies." This led to several assassination attempts on Hitler - one of which, when it failed, cost Bonhoeffer his life.

Quote from: Danny on December 27, 2016, 10:58:23 PM
Now, I find this extremely interesting. It's been about forty years since I have read this little book.
      I'm really looking forward to your review.

Half way through and it's a clever little thing so far. The idea that demons are bureaucrats is both humerous and accurate.

Not sure what edition you're reading, duck, but in later ones Lewis added a chapter called "Screwtape Proposes a Toast."  Brilliant stuff.

Quote from: Caleb on December 28, 2016, 06:27:23 PM
Not sure what edition you're reading, duck, but in later ones Lewis added a chapter called "Screwtape Proposes a Toast."  Brilliant stuff.

That's included in the edition I\m reading.   

I have been reading a Puritan work written by Jeremiah Burroughs entitled THE RARE JEWEL OF CHRISTIAN CONTENTMENT.  It is chock full of solid, biblical counsel for the Christian.  Perhaps some other weary pilgrims might take up and read this as they travel to the Celestial City?

'J. I. Packer says that the Puritans are the theological and devotional Redwoods of the western world.1 My own .experience is that no one comes close to the skill they have in taking the razor-like scalpel of Scripture, and lancing the boils of my corruption, cutting out the cancers of my God-belittling habits of mind, and amputating the limbs of my disobedience. They are simply in a class by themselves.' --John Piper --

BOOK DESCRIPTION

Jeremiah Burroughs is worthily reckoned as belonging to the front rank of English puritan preachers. As such he played a prominent part in the Westminster Assembly of divines, but died prematurely before the Assembly's work was concluded.

Burrough's writings, some published before and others after his death, were numerous, but The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment is one of the most valuable of them all. Its author was much concerned to promote (1) peace among believers of various 'persuasions' (2) peace and contentment in the hearts of individual believers during what he describes as 'sad and sinking times'. The Rare Jewel concentrates upon this second aim. It is marked by sanity, clarity, aptness of illustration, and warmth of appeal to the heart. 'There is an ark that you may come into, and no men in the world may live such comfortable, cheerful and contented lives as the saints of God'. Burroughs presses his lesson home with all the fervour and cogency of a true and faithful minister of God.