Pages: 1 ... 92 [93] 94 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 327038 times)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1840 on: December 31, 2015, 11:42:26 PM »

Many good translations of the bible are available. King James is kind of romantic and poetic, yet a good translation.
     I have many different translations and through the years have went from one to another. ASV 1901 is a fine modern English version that is still reflecting the original translation. Darby`s translation is excellent as well. For many years now I've been reading the Recovery Version, which has footnotes and references. An excellent translation and study bible.
     The ones I don't care much for are the paraphrased type. The true meaning is lost completely.
     Hope I'm not going too far with this post, but since the bible is a book many of us read every day it seems to me this is the thread where this post fits.

The reason I have stuck with the KJV is that (I believe) it is the most influential.  I think that there are more accurate translations, but this is the one that most modern sects of Christianity have gone with.  I don't approach it from a religious standpoint because I'm not a religious guy.  I read it to understand its influence on modern life.

Ed
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1841 on: January 01, 2016, 03:17:57 AM »

The reason I have stuck with the KJV is that (I believe) it is the most influential.  I think that there are more accurate translations, but this is the one that most modern sects of Christianity have gone with.  I don't approach it from a religious standpoint because I'm not a religious guy.  I read it to understand its influence on modern life.

Ed

The KJV is the best-selling book of all time, so it has surely had a massive influence over the centuries. 
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1842 on: March 05, 2016, 03:04:06 PM »

Currently rereading THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1843 on: March 05, 2016, 06:09:49 PM »

Shooting Straight: Telling The Truth About Guns In America, by Wayne LaPierre and James Jay Baker
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1844 on: March 07, 2016, 04:44:11 AM »

Shooting Straight: Telling The Truth About Guns In America, by Wayne LaPierre and James Jay Baker

Thanks for mentioning that one - I'll want to get that one in my sights...   

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
adern

Ignore
« Reply #1845 on: March 07, 2016, 11:37:02 AM »

Yep. That one is on my list also.

Anthony J. Dern
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1846 on: March 07, 2016, 07:42:43 PM »

Thanks for mentioning that one - I'll want to get that one in my sights...   

Yep. That one is on my list also.

Well, I had to stop reading this one for a bit. I checked it out from our state wide public library system, with a big batch of other titles, and just got started on it a couple of days ago. This morning my wife let me know it was due today and that there were holds on the title, within the system. So, it will be a while before I can get the book back into my hands!
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1847 on: March 07, 2016, 07:47:16 PM »

Well, I had to stop reading this one for a bit. I checked it out from our state wide public library system, with a big batch of other titles, and just got started on it a couple of days ago. This morning my wife let me know it was due today and that there were holds on the title, within the system. So, it will be a while before I can get the book back into my hands!
Good on you for using your public library. I'll be dropping off due items at mine today. I'm on a classical music journey and have gotten access to hundreds of dollars worth of music to try at my local.  I love libraries and can't understand why more people don't use them.
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1848 on: March 07, 2016, 07:53:30 PM »

Good on you for using your public library. I'll be dropping off due items at mine today. I'm on a classical music journey and have gotten access to hundreds of dollars worth of music to try at my local.  I love libraries and can't understand why more people don't use them.

Over the last decade, our state has invested in the inter-library loan system. We only have three counties in the state and now every Delaware public library's catalog is linked. You can go online and place a hold, choose your pick-up library, and usually within 48 hours, the title will be at your local library. It's a very handy system.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1849 on: March 07, 2016, 10:07:46 PM »

Over the last decade, our state has invested in the inter-library loan system. We only have three counties in the state and now every Delaware public library's catalog is linked. You can go online and place a hold, choose your pick-up library, and usually within 48 hours, the title will be at your local library. It's a very handy system.
Handy indeed.  Fort Worth has a similar service that I've benefited much from over the years.  Texas also has a program called TexShare that lets a person borrow from various university libraries and public libraries across the various counties.  Wonderful stuff that a lot of people aren't even aware of.
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1850 on: March 09, 2016, 06:42:41 PM »

When authors die, I check out their books.  Umberto Eco recently died so I checked out The Name of the Rose.  It probably had potential, but it was too dense with...with...thought provoking matter.  Now Pat Conroy has passed, so I checked out The Prince of Tides.  It's early going, about 50 pages in, but very good so far.  I hope no one else dies before I finish this one.

On libraries?  Great things.  I guess it's good that people buy books, keeps authors authoring.  But I'm happy not to be one of those people.  I depend on my library.
Bigfish

Ignore
« Reply #1851 on: March 09, 2016, 11:20:36 PM »

Just started "One Way Out: The Inside History of the Allman Brothers Band".  Should be interesting.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1852 on: March 10, 2016, 02:41:41 AM »

Just finished THE PIANO SHOP ON THE LEFT BANK by Thad Carhart.  Neat book about an American in Paris who gets let into a sort of piano workshop subculture.
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1853 on: March 10, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »

Sounds interesting.  The Piano Shop On The Left Bank gets 4.5 stars on Amazon.  I have found these ratings to be useful--meaning I must often agree with the masses.  I'll note this title for a future read.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1854 on: March 10, 2016, 04:15:14 PM »

Sounds interesting.  The Piano Shop On The Left Bank gets 4.5 stars on Amazon.  I have found these ratings to be useful--meaning I must often agree with the masses.  I'll note this title for a future read.
Agreed. The reviews there are helpful.  This book was a big seller about 15 years ago. There has been a resurgence of interest  in Paris-based books since the shootings.  (I don't want to go there and wreck the thread, but I'm just pointing that out.)
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1855 on: March 17, 2016, 02:39:47 PM »

Just finished Franklin's AUTOBIOGRAPHY and his SILENCE DOGOOD LETTERS, now I'm reading Longfellow's TALES FROM A WAYSIDE INN.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1856 on: March 17, 2016, 04:08:48 PM »

The Koran among other things.
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1857 on: March 17, 2016, 06:58:26 PM »

Just  started "Blue Latitudes"..    by Tony Horwitz.     Re-traciing Captain Cooks 3 18th century exploration of the Pacific.    Good read so far.  But I would not want to be a sailor aboard the Endeavor or any other ship of that day.      Horrible conditions on a vessel hardly designed for the task assigned to Cook for these voyages.   He lost about 40% of his crew to death from disease or accidents  routinely and just grabbed replacement sailors from any other vessel he encountered, citing the authority of the British Navy.   
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1858 on: March 25, 2016, 02:58:27 AM »

"The Forger's Spell: A True Story of Vermeer, the Nazi's, and the Greatest Art Hoax of the 20th Century" by Edward Dolnick.  About 2/3 through. 

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1859 on: March 25, 2016, 03:22:33 AM »

THE LIGHT PRINCESS AND OTHER STORIES by George MacDonald.
Pages: 1 ... 92 [93] 94 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: