books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I read "Clapton" a few years ago an enjoyed it.  Have been meaning to reread it.  The thing that struck me the most was Clapton's journal entries from his heyday.  Not so much the content but the fact that he took the time to do it during that time. Journaling is something hardly any modern American men do, not sure about Englishmen or the average Europeon then or now. I have been journaling for years myself but it's almost always looked on with suspicion or flat out contempt by most of the men know.

Also read the Clapton bio/auto bio a few years ago.

I'm amazed how many of the great blues and rock players grew up in families without a father present...Clapton, John Lennon, B.B. King, just to name 3 off the top of my head.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Finishing The Memory Keeper's Daughter.  Do any of the fiction readers here have a recommendation? 

I'm looking for artistically plotted, deep subtext with meaning that might be lost on me if I'm not paying attention.  The kind of thing where 3 pages after reading something I have an epiphany that hey, that was mythical or biblical allusion--this isn't really about the overt plot, it's about depth of consciousness; or the meaning of death, truth and life, or when choice is really fate--but not pedantically rendered, subtly evoked.  And all the while I, the reader, am so absorbed by the plot that if I'm too tired to notice symbolism and meaning, I don't have to.  Anybody have anything like that?  (I'm laughing at the tall order here and wondering if anything other than the classics fit the bill.)

Quote from: ryler on December 05, 2015, 07:31:30 AM
Finishing The Memory Keeper's Daughter.  Do any of the fiction readers here have a recommendation? 

I'm looking for artistically plotted, deep subtext with meaning that might be lost on me if I'm not paying attention.  The kind of thing where 3 pages after reading something I have an epiphany that hey, that was mythical or biblical allusion--this isn't really about the overt plot, it's about depth of consciousness; or the meaning of death, truth and life, or when choice is really fate--but not pedantically rendered, subtly evoked.  And all the while I, the reader, am so absorbed by the plot that if I'm too tired to notice symbolism and meaning, I don't have to.  Anybody have anything like that?  (I'm laughing at the tall order here and wondering if anything other than the classics fit the bill.)
It sounds like what I'm reading now. Uncle Tom's Cabin, I'm very impressed with the writing style, the characters, plot, culture, deep significance of the message(s) in this classic.I can't put out down. I'm using a Kindle version to have the dictionary at a touch, because of the descriptive language used by many of the characters and the narrative.

Thanks, Danny.  I don't think I've ever read it, so now I will.

Just finished reading Andy Summer's autobiography, "One Train Later".  Summary, Andy put in many, many years of non-typical rockstar training before the Police took off.  Lots of F-bombs in the book, casting a shadow across an otherwise intelligent and fascinating read.  It's hard to understand the use of @#%$ as an adjective of choice, when there is evidence that Summers has a rather broad vocabulary.

Also recently finished Martin Short's autobiography, "I Must Say" and it offered me the opportunity to introduce Ed Grimley to my oldest daughter.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Finally finished Uncle Tom's Cabin. It was an emotional roller coaster. A very spiritual book, which I did not expect but being a daily reader of the Bible the quotes were familiar and refreshing at times. Especially when reading of the suffering a character who you had grown to care for was increasing intensely.
     Though hard to read at times this book changed my view on what led America to civil war. It also made me abundantly clear about the black stain on our nation's history.
      I was brought to tears a few times. In the closing comments it is made clear that though the story is a novel it was based on real people, events and conversations.
      One thing that made the book difficult to read towards the end was the repetition of the same sermon. Though it is understandable in the light of the time near the Civil War that the book was written.

Now I started reading PILGRIM'S PROGESS. I downloaded a free copy from Kindle that is in up to date English. My 110 year old copy of this book is in the original old English and at times beyond my comprehension. Still I will keep the old copy handy to check the modern rendering at times.

I read UNCLE TOM'S CABIN around 2008. Very powerful. I've heard a story a few times (that is possibly apocryphal) of Lincoln meeting Stowe and saying, "So, you are the young lady who wrote the book that started this war?"   I read PILGRIM'S PROGRESS around the same time and hope to revisit it soon.  Great review of Uncle Tom, Dan.

Based on input from forum members, I'm reading Pilgrim's Progress right now.  About 20% complete, and I have to say that I'm missing something.  Perhaps its the archaic English, or the broken up verse, prose, verse, prose, script, prose style, or even bad formatting of the epub that is giving me issues.  Now that I've started, I'll finish and hope that I can start to get my head to appreciate the text.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on December 23, 2015, 04:25:25 PM
Based on input from forum members, I'm reading Pilgrim's Progress right now.  About 20% complete, and I have to say that I'm missing something.  Perhaps its the archaic English, or the broken up verse, prose, verse, prose, script, prose style, or even bad formatting of the epub that is giving me issues.  Now that I've started, I'll finish and hope that I can start to get my head to appreciate the text.
I had the same experience trying to read the old English.
I did read it all the way thru, but this time with a modern language version and the  original I'm using both and it's very easy to grasp.

I know I'm the odd man out on this, but the "old" stuff that makes a lot of folks not like something is the very thing that appeals to me.

Quote from: Caleb on December 23, 2015, 11:24:26 PM
I know I'm the odd man out on this, but the "old" stuff that makes a lot of folks not like something is the very thing that appeals to me.
I also enjoy my old copy of Pilgrims Progress, it has much more extra information about John Bunyan, his imprisonment and the effect it had on his writing.
    But this was written in the 1600s and much of the language is archaic or the meaning of words and phrases don't mean what they did at that time.
     Still I am reading both the old and the new, to gain a better understanding than the first time I read it.

Quote from: rockstar_not on December 23, 2015, 04:25:25 PM

Check out these resoruces:  http://www.chapellibrary.org/literature/title-catalog/?fldTitle=pilgrims+progress&searchType=lit

Perhaps these might help you enjoy this book more.

Quote from: dependan on December 23, 2015, 11:57:49 PM
I also enjoy my old copy of Pilgrims Progress, it has much more extra information about John Bunyan, his imprisonment and the effect it had on his writing.
    But this was written in the 1600s and much of the language is archaic or the meaning of words and phrases don't mean what they did at that time.
     Still I am reading both the old and the new, to gain a better understanding than the first time I read it.
I've been meaning to read a good biography of Bunyan, so thanks for the reminder.  I know you're a Bible reader too.  The other day I dusted off one of my old Gideons Bibles (KJV) that was lifted from a hotel room at some point (though not by me).  The beauty of the language appeals to me as much as the content itself.   But then again, I can see me going back to my ESV at some point for a change of pace.  It's nice to have options to fit our moods, is it not?

Many good translations of the bible are available. King James is kind of romantic and poetic, yet a good translation.
     I have many different translations and through the years have went from one to another. ASV 1901 is a fine modern English version that is still reflecting the original translation. Darby`s translation is excellent as well. For many years now I've been reading the Recovery Version, which has footnotes and references. An excellent translation and study bible.
     The ones I don't care much for are the paraphrased type. The true meaning is lost completely.
     Hope I'm not going too far with this post, but since the bible is a book many of us read every day it seems to me this is the thread where this post fits.

Quote from: dependan on December 24, 2015, 11:09:00 AM
Many good translations of the bible are available. King James is kind of romantic and poetic, yet a good translation.
     I have many different translations and through the years have went from one to another. ASV 1901 is a fine modern English version that is still reflecting the original translation. Darby`s translation is excellent as well. For many years now I've been reading the Recovery Version, which has footnotes and references. An excellent translation and study bible.
     The ones I don't care much for are the paraphrased type. The true meaning is lost completely.
     Hope I'm not going too far with this post, but since the bible is a book many of us read every day it seems to me this is the thread where this post fits.

I agree with you about the paraphrased editions.  I've never been able to connect with "The Message" or even things like the Amplified.  I'm sure those things have been helpful to some at some point, but not to me.  I can't see that posts like this cross any line.  We are talking about the Bible as literature, which, before it's anything else, it is surely literature. 

Many good translations of the bible are available.. ASV 1901 is a fine modern English version that is still reflecting the original ...

I happened across one of those years ago before I knew there was one. Still have it, it's a good translation.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: mike in lytle on December 30, 2015, 09:18:26 AM
:donut :donut2 :coffee :donut :donut2 :coffee
Not a "book" really, but a fascinating online epic entitled "Are You A Thread Ender?" by Obe-Wan.
It is an attempt to answer an old question... "Why does this always happen to me?".
Mike

I've read this one and have even been published in it.  It is a symposium of brilliant minds.  One cannot be considered erudite without a study of the wisdom within.

VIMY by Pierre Burton, my first book by him and the boys have entered the battle at this point, I like the book very much....I`d seen him for so long o CBC but never read anything by him. Got the hard cover at a junk place in the city where books are $1.00, so it was a bargain to say the least.

The reason I have stuck with the KJV is that (I believe) it is the most influential.  I think that there are more accurate translations, but this is the one that most modern sects of Christianity have gone with.  I don't approach it from a religious standpoint because I'm not a religious guy.  I read it to understand its influence on modern life.

Ed