Pages: 1 ... 90 [91] 92 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 308794 times)
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #1800 on: August 18, 2015, 02:51:15 AM »

An odd pair of re-reads and something completely different:

The Underground History of American Education - John Taylor Gatto

History in English Words - Owen Barfield (one of the lesser known Inklings)

and

The Peripheral - William Gibson

Reading them together makes and interesting interplay of ideas.

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1801 on: August 18, 2015, 01:15:52 PM »

I just started:

THE FIDDLER'S GUN by A.S. Peterson.

skyline, I just saw a review of Barfield's book over on Doug Wilson's blog.  Do you read Wilson?
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1802 on: August 18, 2015, 02:12:19 PM »

I just started:

THE FIDDLER'S GUN by A.S. Peterson.

skyline, I just saw a review of Barfield's book over on Doug Wilson's blog.  Do you read Wilson?

I haven't been to Wilson's blog in quite some time ... but I'm registered there (I know, this query wasn't pointed at me... just sayin').

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1803 on: August 28, 2015, 01:44:19 AM »

Just finished "the Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown

About the 1936 U.S. Rowing team gold medal Olympic winning crew who denied Hitler in his own backyard (Berlin).

Awesome story and audio book was read by Edward hermann

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #1804 on: August 28, 2015, 03:03:29 AM »

Sorry to be so slow Caleb - thanks for that - I'd not read dougwils.com until now.

I've read Lewis for as long as I've been reading - but even though he's explicitly mentioned in Lewis, I only realized Barfield was a non-ficition character when I had kids and became more interested in matters of education.

Barfield is a bit easier to stumble onto now, thanks to the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit stuff. I wonder if fellow Inking Charles Williams will also gain a wider readership?

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1805 on: August 28, 2015, 03:51:51 AM »

Sorry to be so slow Caleb - thanks for that - I'd not read dougwils.com until now.

I've read Lewis for as long as I've been reading - but even though he's explicitly mentioned in Lewis, I only realized Barfield was a non-ficition character when I had kids and became more interested in matters of education.

Barfield is a bit easier to stumble onto now, thanks to the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit stuff. I wonder if fellow Inking Charles Williams will also gain a wider readership?

The Wilson connection was a coincidence, and one with a pretty obscure book. I read a lot of Lewis and find him helpful on a lot of levels. I've never made my way to Chas. Williams though.  I'm rereading LILITH by Geo. MacDonald now.  I, like many others, found him via Lewis.
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #1806 on: August 28, 2015, 01:27:39 PM »

I'm rereading LILITH by Geo. MacDonald now.  I, like many others, found him via Lewis

MacDonald is wonderful. Someone gave one of my kids a copy of The Light Princess and I was hooked. I didn't discover the MacDonald-Inksters connection until the advent of the internetz.

Lilith is now on my to-read list!
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1807 on: August 28, 2015, 02:25:48 PM »

MacDonald is wonderful. Someone gave one of my kids a copy of The Light Princess and I was hooked. I didn't discover the MacDonald-Inksters connection until the advent of the internetz.

Lilith is now on my to-read list!
I've got the bulk of MacDonald's work on my Kindle in a pretty decent format.  I think I gave 1.99 or the entire collection.  Of course I could have gathered them all for free online but I like the collection and the fact that I can navigate through it. 

If you like MacDonald, here's a neat company you might not know about: http://www.johannesen.com/   The story I heard was that this family was some influenced by MacDonald's work, that they started their own publishing house in order to get his books into quality print.  I don't have any of these books but would love to own some one day. 
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1808 on: November 21, 2015, 04:32:21 PM »

I just reread (for the third time) CS Lewis's THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH.  This book is a masterpiece, and if you want to read some of the best prose writing anyone has ever done, check it out. Great story, too, by the way.

I also just reread Lewis's THE MAGICIAN'S NEPHEW for probably the umpteenth time. 

What to read next...
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #1809 on: November 21, 2015, 09:21:29 PM »

I just reread (for the third time) CS Lewis's THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH.  This book is a masterpiece

+1

The whole trilogy is wonderful, but I re-read this one almost annually.

A great companion to Orwell in its warnings about the abuses of the written word, and a fantastic blending of folk-tale and reality.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1810 on: November 21, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »

Just FYI: tomorrow, 22 November, marks the 52nd anniversary of Lewis's death.  (He died on the same day as JFK.) I'll be smoking a pipe and drinking a pint of brown ale in his honor. 
Cheers, Jack!  Thanks for all the great books. 
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #1811 on: November 22, 2015, 03:19:45 AM »

Just FYI: tomorrow, 22 November, marks the 52nd anniversary of Lewis's death.  (He died on the same day as JFK.) I'll be smoking a pipe and drinking a pint of brown ale in his honor.   - Cheers, Jack!  Thanks for all the great books. 

Cheer's indeed!

So if I'm neither a pint drinker nor a pipe smoker - do I snag a Bushmills-  or will a Killbegan or Tullamore DEW do?
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1812 on: November 27, 2015, 12:40:09 PM »

I just got the new Brian Kilmeade book on Jefferson and the Barbary pirates.  Looking foreword to this one.
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #1813 on: November 28, 2015, 09:38:53 PM »

It's always fun to link two great books . . .

or three . . .  re-reading The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1814 on: November 29, 2015, 05:37:32 PM »

As soon as December 1 rolls around, it will be time for me to break out the Christmas stories.  Some of my favorite holiday reads are:

THE LITTLE MATCH SELLER by Hans Christian Andersen (technically it's a New Year's Eve story, but...)

THE STORY OF THE OTHER WISE MAN by Henry Van Dyke.  (If you only read one Christmas story this year, I recommend this one.)

A CHRISTMAS CAROL by Charles Dickens (Most folks know this story to some degree, but if you've never actually read it, you should.)

A new one I'll be adding this year is:

PAPA PANOV'S SPECIAL DAY by Leo Tolstoy (It's in the Kindle and ready to go.)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1815 on: November 30, 2015, 05:57:21 PM »

A CHRISTMAS CAROL by Charles Dickens (Most folks know this story to some degree, but if you've never actually read it, you should.)

Indeed. And if you have a Kindle (or other reader), there are several free versions out there, so there's no excuse! Read it once, and you'll want to read it again (maybe right away, but certainly "seasonally").

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1816 on: December 02, 2015, 04:40:05 AM »

Almost left out another important seasonal story:

THE GIFT OF THE MAGI by O. Henry.
Tuba Mike

Ignore
« Reply #1817 on: December 02, 2015, 02:41:46 PM »

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1818 on: December 02, 2015, 05:22:25 PM »

Just finished rereading THE GREAT DIVORCE and THE ABOLITION OF MAN by C.S. Lewis.

Currently reading FAMOUS MEN OF MODERN TIMES by Haaren and Poland. Basically a kid's schoolbook from yesteryear.  Short bios on important historical figures starting around the time of Columbus. Great stuff.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1819 on: December 03, 2015, 06:20:21 AM »

I've got a copy of  "Clapton" I want to start and would like to read Uncle Tom's Cabin as well.
    Just need to make more progress on my 000 refinish.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Pages: 1 ... 90 [91] 92 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: