books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No harm done.  An interesting theory, I suppose. One that was new to me.

Just finished the fifth book in the Longmire mysteries, Dark Horse. Couldn't give a higher recommendation. Best of the five so far and they're all good.  :thumb

East of Eden - John Steinbeck.
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

East of Eden is an all-time favorite of mine.  A real world changer for me in the realm of literature.  Here's me this summer at the Steinbeck museum in Salinas.

Quote from: ffinke on August 13, 2014, 09:01:46 PM
East of Eden - John Steinbeck.

On my list - have never read it. I have an old copy around here somewhere...

(thanks for the reminder!)
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I've just started reading a series by Spencer Quinn - the Bernie and Chet series.  Bernie is a P.I., and Chet is his dog - books are written from the dog's perspective.  This might bother some potential readers.  The first book I ever read written from a dog's perspective was "A Dog's Life" by Peter Mayle, and he became one of my favorite 'light reading' authors.  I finished "Dog On It" and now am reading "The Sound and the Furry".

It's easy reading.  Better than watching TV - I know, what an endorsement!
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Just about halfway through this one, Art and Fear.  Good read about sticking with your art, and not letting your own, nor others', expectations interfere.

Art and Fear
Larrivee LV-10 2013
Michael Gee classical 2003
Martin D12X1AE 12 string
Alvarez AP66
Gretsch 5420t Electromatic

Looks interesting datDaddy.  Have any of the ideas contained within freed up your creativity?

I'm working my way slowly through The Hope of the Gospel by George MacDonald. 

Quote from: the creature on August 19, 2014, 05:41:17 PM
I'm working my way slowly through The Hope of the Gospel by George MacDonald. 
Just downloaded it from Manybooks.net

I started on his "Annals of a Quiet Neighborhood", which I have in my Nook, but it's a slow mover and lost my attention. 
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on August 19, 2014, 05:49:13 PM
Just downloaded it from Manybooks.net

I started on his "Annals of a Quiet Neighborhood", which I have in my Nook, but it's a slow mover and lost my attention. 
Annals is one of my favorite novels!  Read it three times so far. 

Quote from: the creature on August 19, 2014, 08:19:07 PM
Annals is one of my favorite novels!  Read it three times so far. 
Because of your endorsement, I will continue on.  I give credit to you for introducing me to "Notes from the Tilt-a-whirl" in this very thread MANY pages ago.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on August 20, 2014, 02:49:28 PM
Because of your endorsement, I will continue on.  I give credit to you for introducing me to "Notes from the Tilt-a-whirl" in this very thread MANY pages ago.
I think you'll be glad you read Annals.  Knowing a bit about where you are and have been from your PMs, I think you'll connect with many of the lessons learned through the characters.  Old Rogers is a saint that you'll absolutely love and carry away with you long after the book is done.  And some of the things MacDonald puts in the mouth of his main character you will connect with.  I'm sure of it.  There is also a beautiful story of family forgiveness woven throughout that shouldn't be missed.  There's just a lot in that story.  And I've never even read the sequels!

Quote from: ducktrapper on August 13, 2014, 10:15:41 AMJust finished the fifth book in the Longmire mysteries, Dark Horse. Couldn't give a higher recommendation. Best of the five so far and they're all good.  :thumb

Haven't read any Longmire yet, but I heard Craig Johnson interviewed by Michael Enright and he sounded wonderfully grounded and rleveant. Then I was distracted by the TV series (which is great - even with Philippino's acting as Cheyenne's)

Quote from: ktron on August 20, 2014, 09:58:35 PM
Haven't read any Longmire yet, but I heard Craig Johnson interviewed by Michael Enright and he sounded wonderfully grounded and rleveant. Then I was distracted by the TV series (which is great - even with Philippino's acting as Cheyenne's)

The TV show is great but the novels are even better. They've kind spoiled the show for me not just for the reasons you mention but both Walt and Henry are much more interesting in the novels.

I'm doing my annual reading of Lewis's Narnia stories. I've read them every year for many years.

Quote from: the creature on August 21, 2014, 01:58:56 PM
I'm doing my annual reading of Lewis's Narnia stories. I've read them every year for many years.

Wow - good for you. I must confess I've yet to read them once (although I've read other Lewis stuff: Mere Christianity, The Problem of Pain, The Great Divorce, etc.).
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Johnny Cash: The Life.  I'm about 3/4 done.  Interesting book.

Ed

Quote from: Mikeymac on August 21, 2014, 03:18:05 PM
Wow - good for you. I must confess I've yet to read them once (although I've read other Lewis stuff: Mere Christianity, The Problem of Pain, The Great Divorce, etc.).
Bold statment, and I say this having read almost everything else he penned, but I think the Narnia stories are the most important thing he ever did.  Aslan is the best character I've ever come across in literature. 

Quote from: eded on August 21, 2014, 05:17:53 PM
Johnny Cash: The Life.  I'm about 3/4 done.  Interesting book.

Ed
I'm thinking of doing this one via audiobook.  Have you read any other bios on Cash?  I'm wondering where a good place to start is.