books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

One nice thing about a Kindle (or similar device, like a Nook) is that you can download samples of books before you commit to buying. However, this is also dangerous, as I often purchase the book after starting it with the sample!

I recently read two samples that are tempting me:

No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, The N.S.A., and The U.S. Surveillance State by Glenn Greenwald. It is truly frightening to think where technology is leading us ... no matter how we may try today, we simply cannot live "private" lives under the radar of our government (or others who want to know what we're up to). Sadly, we give a lot of this info voluntarily when we purchase things (like this book!) over the internet. And sadder still, Snowden (and others) confirm that our government is actively gathering information about us that is none of their business!

Blood Feud: The Clinton's VS. The Obamas by Edward Klein. This one is controversial, with many folks who are close to the two first couples saying that Klein is fabricating a lot of his stories ... the reader has to look at his evidence and decide if it rings true based on everything else we know about them. I'm not going to purchase this one right now; I'll wait until it's in the sale bin (I did purchase his previous book about Obama, The Amateur, on my Kindle).

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I have downloaded lots of sample books on my Kindle app. Sometimes I buy, but sometimes I'm glad the free sample showed me the book wasn't worth reading.
BTW  I read three devotionals each morning.

Just finished A to Z With C.S. Lewis, by Louis A. Markos, which was a 99 cent Kindle download. Around 50 pages, so a fast read, but also thought provoking.

Markos goes through the alphabet from A ("Aslan") to Z ("ZeitGeist") and discusses themes found in C.S. Lewis's books. I'm starting through it a second time, as it will definitely raise more insights on second and subsequent readings.

Finished the third Longmire Mystery. Good stuff. Time to take a break from it, however. Picked up a copy of Dan Simmons "Flashback" in a cheapie bin. Looks interesting. Started it this morning with coffee. If this puppy is going to wake me between five and six every morning, I better make the best of it. A coffee, a chapter and then our morning constitutional.

Quote from: Mikeymac on July 14, 2014, 11:06:20 AM
One nice thing about a Kindle (or similar device, like a Nook) is that you can download samples of books before you commit to buying. However, this is also dangerous, as I often purchase the book after starting it with the sample!

I recently read two samples that are tempting me:

No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, The N.S.A., and The U.S. Surveillance State by Glenn Greenwald. It is truly frightening to think where technology is leading us ... no matter how we may try today, we simply cannot live "private" lives under the radar of our government (or others who want to know what we're up to). Sadly, we give a lot of this info voluntarily when we purchase things (like this book!) over the internet. And sadder still, Snowden (and others) confirm that our government is actively gathering information about us that is none of their business!

Blood Feud: The Clinton's VS. The Obamas by Edward Klein. This one is controversial, with many folks who are close to the two first couples saying that Klein is fabricating a lot of his stories ... the reader has to look at his evidence and decide if it rings true based on everything else we know about them. I'm not going to purchase this one right now; I'll wait until it's in the sale bin (I did purchase his previous book about Obama, The Amateur, on my Kindle).

I'd have trouble believing a word of either of those. I'd assume too much political bias either way.

Quote from: ducktrapper on July 27, 2014, 07:36:11 AM
I'd have trouble believing a word of either of those. I'd assume too much political bias either way.

duck,

I have no problem agreeing with you on the Klein book - he's gotten a lot of scrutiny for stuff he's written.

The Snowden episode is just a small piece of something much, much bigger that is impacting all our lives now, and will continue to do so in the future. Whether everything Snowden may say now is true, we have to leave up to future generations, but (I believe) his basic claim that the US govt. is basically "spying" on it's own citizens seems incontrovertible at this point. 

I don't see Snowden as either a villain or a hero, but someone who - whether he did the right thing or not, is trying to raise an important warning flag. From where he sits now (in Russia, where he could mysteriously disappear at any moment - or get traded back to us for something the Russian govt. wants) he's certainly not profiting greatly for his actions. This will be interesting to watch, as others become whistle blowers along the way...

Well, apparently, you're either going to be spied upon by Facebook or your government. Yet who has either quit Facebook or moved to Bolivia? Or was it Ecuador? Snowden, in my humble opinion, is a naive fool.    

The Pilgrims Progress....again.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on July 29, 2014, 01:42:35 AM

Classic book.  2nd best-selling book in the English language, 2nd only to the Bible.  Celestial City someday. . . .

Quote from: broKen on July 29, 2014, 01:42:35 AM
I'm not sure if I said this before but I have a copy from1905. In very good condition.

Just went through Aesop's Fables, Fifty Famous Stories Retold by James Baldwin, and The Book of Virtues by William J. Bennett.  Highly recommend all.

Just finished an excellent biography on Alexander the Great by Jacob Abbott.  Perfect for the curious beginner. 

Quote from: the creature on August 12, 2014, 06:20:19 PM
Just finished an excellent biography on Alexander the Great by Jacob Abbott.  Perfect for the curious beginner. 
Did he point out that he was a type of the antiChrist?

Actually I wanted to find a good read about him. Thanks

Quote from: dependan on August 12, 2014, 06:24:04 PM

Nah. Abbott geared his stuff for younger readers and played it pretty safe with controversies in this book.  He does mention a very interesting episode with Alexander in Jerusalem, a somewhat disputed fact with other historians. Heck, what isn't disputed in history? I thoroughly enjoyed it and plan on reading many of the other somewhat short bios that Abbott wrote. They're perfect for the curious person who might want to dig deeper with another volume after getting started with Abbott.

Quote from: dependan on August 12, 2014, 06:24:04 PM

That's the first time I've heard that. Are you thinking Antiochus Epiphanes?
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on August 12, 2014, 09:14:03 PM
That's the first time I've heard that. Are you thinking Antiochus Epiphanes?
Alexander the great has long been considered the antichrist. Just Google up Alexander the Great the antichrist and you will find way more than you care to read.
    It's probably not the place to discuss this in detail. Daniel does have the great image that includes Alexander.
That's all I'll get into here.

An anti-Christ that predated Christ. Doesn't even seem logical. 

Quote from: the creature on August 12, 2014, 10:41:24 PM
An anti-Christ that predated Christ. Doesn't even seem logical. 
and he is long dead and the Church and the world is still here...

When I was in college it was supposed to be

Henry Kissinger...
Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

Quote from: dependan on August 12, 2014, 10:18:00 PM
Alexander the great has long been considered the antichrist.

That's just erroneous. Excuse me please.
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on August 13, 2014, 01:20:09 AM
That's just erroneous. Excuse me please.
No problem. I never should have brought it up.

For a little clarity though he is a "TYPE".