Pages: 1 ... 80 [81] 82 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 308923 times)
Tuba Mike

Ignore
« Reply #1600 on: February 04, 2014, 01:38:26 AM »

Also reading Bart D. Ehrman's "Jesus:  Apocalyptic Prophet for a New Millennium"

Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #1601 on: February 09, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »

Just started "Brown Dog" by Jim Harrison. Pretty "typical" Harrison so far, sort of gritty and raw and honest. 

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1602 on: February 09, 2014, 03:49:26 PM »

I am reading Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction by J.D. Salinger.  What a writer.  Danny, I have Lone Survivor on order from the library.  I had wanted to see the movie, but it came and went from our local theater already.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1603 on: February 09, 2014, 04:14:31 PM »

I've taken a slight detour from reading, as I sometimes do, and am listening to lots of lectures, mostly on history.  And of course there are tons of book recommendations in such lectures, so it leads to more reading.  But I am dabbling in Susan Cooper's DREAMS AND WISHES, a book about writing.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1604 on: February 09, 2014, 04:40:36 PM »

I am reading Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction by J.D. Salinger.  What a writer.  Danny, I have Lone Survivor on order from the library.  I had wanted to see the movie, but it came and went from our local theater already.
I'm interested to hear what you think of Lone Survivor.
I started Barbara Tuchman's Guns of August at the suggestion of this thread.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1605 on: February 15, 2014, 02:08:24 AM »

I'm interested to hear what you think of Lone Survivor.
I started Barbara Tuchman's Guns of August at the suggestion of this thread.
    I finished Guns of August and do not understand how this book Won a Pulitzer. It was a textbook with too Much emphasis on royalty and Self filled egotistical Generals. It bored me with its facts and analysis.
I suppose Stephen Ambrose has spoiled me with his meticulous skills of history telling with a flair.

johnr

Ignore
« Reply #1606 on: February 18, 2014, 12:41:48 AM »

hi ; just started going thru the pages of good books to read.i'm at the library in town here once or twice a week.been reading WWII books lately.i need something different to read.been coming up with nothing interesting to me lately...are there any "feel good "books about people making a difference in life? ...although; I would like to suggest "A HIGHER CALLING"...WWII book....these guys really made a difference in life!!!
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1607 on: February 18, 2014, 12:46:49 AM »

hi ; just started going thru the pages of good books to read.i'm at the library in town here once or twice a week.been reading WWII books lately.i need something different to read.been coming up with nothing interesting to me lately...are there any "feel good "books about people making a difference in life? ...although; I would like to suggest "A HIGHER CALLING"...WWII book....these guys really made a difference in life!!!
coincidentally my wife is reading GOD'S SMUGGLER by Brother Andrew.She just told me a little about it and said I would really like it.

Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1608 on: February 18, 2014, 08:51:20 AM »

My brother-in-law gave me "Willin", the Little Feat story, this past Christmas.
Very interesting how all these artists are connected to this band.
Emmylou Harris, Jackson Browne, Doobie Brothers, Bonnie Raitt, Robert Palmer, Carly Simon, John Sebastian, Harry Nilsson, Linda Ronstadt, Frank Zappa.
It ain't WWII, but it's quite a fascinating history of music (I mean, if you like that sort of thing).
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1609 on: February 19, 2014, 02:38:36 PM »

I'm currently in the middle of the audiobook version of THE PARIS ARCHITECT by Charles Belfoure.  I hardly ever read a modern novel but saw it at the library and loved the title enough to give it a shot. I'm about 3/4 through and have enjoyed it a lot. Plot is that a Paris architect gets involved in designing hiding places for Jews in Nazi-occupied Paris.  A great story so far. I wish he'd have left out the raunchy sex scenes because they add nothing to the story.  I'll post more when I'm done with it.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1610 on: February 22, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »

The Paris Architect was very good. I just didn't see the need for the sexuality. Excellent ending. I recommend it.
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1611 on: February 22, 2014, 07:22:14 PM »

"The Soundtrack Of My Life" by Clive Davis
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1612 on: March 01, 2014, 08:37:40 PM »

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell.  Excellent book, brought me to tears more than once. Well written and a story of some true American heroes. I'll eventually see the movie but expect to be let down.

Did you see the movie, Danny? Was it a let down for you?

I saw the movie first and was moved by it. Lots of profanity at the beginning that I thought was unnecessary to portray our military (even though I'm no prude ... I grew up a military brat). Later, some of the profanity made more sense when they were in the thick of battle and getting blown to bits. Intense action, very well done, and I guess it follows the book very closely except for in a few details, and in the ending - although it doesn't altogether change the outcome - he was ultimately "rescued" but was walked out by one of the Afgans. (One of the seven guys I went to the movie with had read the book first.)

I have the book on my Kindle - haven't started it yet.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1613 on: March 02, 2014, 02:10:03 PM »

Rereading THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH by CS Lewis. 
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1614 on: March 02, 2014, 03:10:53 PM »

Did you see the movie, Danny? Was it a let down for you?

I saw the movie first and was moved by it. Lots of profanity at the beginning that I thought was unnecessary to portray our military (even though I'm no prude ... I grew up a military brat). Later, some of the profanity made more sense when they were in the thick of battle and getting blown to bits. Intense action, very well done, and I guess it follows the book very closely except for in a few details, and in the ending - although it doesn't altogether change the outcome - he was ultimately "rescued" but was walked out by one of the Afgans. (One of the seven guys I went to the movie with had read the book first.)

I have the book on my Kindle - haven't started it yet.
I haven't seen the movie yet. The book was so well written that I "saw" through the writers descriptions
of men and environment. I think you will be touched deeply as I was by the sovereign finger of God and the amount of prayer being poured out. You will see this as you read, I highly doubt they brought these aspects out as well in the movie.
    As far as profanity amoung our fighting men, my retired friend who served in Viet Nam and Afganistan has assured me many times that it is the way of the military amoung most. There are exceptions but that is the more rare case. Major Dick Winters comes to mind (101st Easy company). He objected to the profanity and nudity in Band of Brothers to Tom Hanks and the main series writer. Winters did get a few things changed, but not much. You can read about this in Dick Winters book, I think it's title is Biggest Brother. I lent my copy to a friend so I can't look on my book shelf and confirm that.
       I sure would like to hear your thoughts on the book versus the movie when you have read it.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1615 on: March 03, 2014, 07:57:37 PM »

Rereading THAT HIDEOUS STRENGTH by CS Lewis. 

I recently read A GRIEF OBSERVED. In it, Lewis is amazingly self-aware and self-critical (in a good way - balanced and full of grace, but honesty). It is, indeed, an excellent observation of the grief process.

I haven't seen the movie yet. The book was so well written that I "saw" through the writers descriptions of men and environment. I think you will be touched deeply as I was by the sovereign finger of God and the amount of prayer being poured out. You will see this as you read, I highly doubt they brought these aspects out as well in the movie.
    As far as profanity among our fighting men, my retired friend who served in Viet Nam and Afganistan has assured me many times that it is the way of the military among most. There are exceptions but that is the more rare case. Major Dick Winters comes to mind (101st Easy company). He objected to the profanity and nudity in Band of Brothers to Tom Hanks and the main series writer. Winters did get a few things changed, but not much. You can read about this in Dick Winters book, I think it's title is Biggest Brother. I lent my copy to a friend so I can't look on my book shelf and confirm that.
       I sure would like to hear your thoughts on the book versus the movie when you have read it.

I'll try to get it started this week - I'd like to read it while the movie is still fairly fresh in my memory.

Another excellent war movie based on a book is the movie "To End All Wars" (only a few well-known stars in it: Keifer Sutherland, Mark Strong). Based on the book originally entitled "Through the Valley of the Kwai," then later reprinted as "Miracle Over the River Kwai," and finally (after the release of the motion picture), reprinted as "To End All Wars."

The author, Rev. Ernest Gordon, wrote the book about his experience as a POW of the Japanese in WW II in the Pacific theatre. In order to maintain their humanity and not become as evil and monstrous as their Japanese captors, many of the men embraced Christianity, choosing to be forgiving and loving in the face of hatred, horrifying torture and pure evil. While this might sound wussy or simplistic, the movie is a picture of strong men "overcoming" the evil of their captors (and the temptation to evil within) in order to survive.

The big movie from the 1950's "Bridge Over the River Kwai," was taken from Gordon's book, but it totally stripped away the original meaning and intent of the book, not to mention totally changing the story (there is no blowing up of the bridge in his book), which saddened Gordon immensely. He was much happier with "To End All Wars," which he saw a pre-screening of before he died (in January of 2002). 

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1616 on: March 03, 2014, 08:02:35 PM »

I recently read A GRIEF OBSERVED. In it, Lewis is amazingly self-aware and self-critical (in a good way - balanced and full of grace, but honesty). It is, indeed, an excellent observation of the grief process.

I'll try to get it started this week - I'd like to read it while the movie is still fairly fresh in my memory.

Another excellent war movie based on a book is the movie "To End All Wars" (only a few well-known stars in it: Keifer Sutherland, Mark Strong). Based on the book originally entitled "Through the Valley of the Kwai," then later reprinted as "Miracle Over the River Kwai," and finally (after the release of the motion picture), reprinted as "To End All Wars."

The author, Rev. Ernest Gordon, wrote the book about his experience as a POW of the Japanese in WW II in the Pacific theatre. In order to maintain their humanity and not become as evil and monstrous as their Japanese captors, many of the men embraced Christianity, choosing to be forgiving and loving in the face of hatred, horrifying torture and pure evil. While this might sound wussy or simplistic, the movie is a picture of strong men "overcoming" the evil of their captors (and the temptation to evil within) in order to survive.

The big movie from the 1950's "Bridge Over the River Kwai," was taken from Gordon's book, but it totally stripped away the original meaning and intent of the book, not to mention totally changing the story (there is no blowing up of the bridge in his book), which saddened Gordon immensely. He was much happier with "To End All Wars," which he saw a pre-screening of before he died (in January of 2002). 

Thanks for the heads up about To End All Wars.  I'll be sure to look for that one.

Hooked

Ignore
« Reply #1617 on: March 03, 2014, 08:37:58 PM »

Doing an on-line study group of C. S. Lewis's "The Great Divorce" . Interesting little fantasy...The Great Divorce reading group https://www.facebook.com/groups/readtmc/614030335346599/?notif_t=group_activity

Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1618 on: March 05, 2014, 04:26:13 PM »

Doing an on-line study group of C. S. Lewis's "The Great Divorce" . Interesting little fantasy...The Great Divorce reading group https://www.facebook.com/groups/readtmc/614030335346599/?notif_t=group_activity

I've been reading this book once a year for several years now.  He has a lot to say in it and I find new things each go round.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1619 on: March 14, 2014, 05:05:22 PM »

Been reading lots of CS Lewis's essay on reading and writing.  Some very good stuff out there on Audible.com for cheap.  Highly recommend this service. 
Pages: 1 ... 80 [81] 82 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: