Pages: 1 ... 78 [79] 80 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 311329 times)
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #1560 on: December 06, 2013, 11:23:59 AM »

Too many good books and too little time to waste on bad books, in my opinion.
My sentiments exactly! Can't explain it either...this thing is weirder by the page. Funny thing is, I can usually tell pretty quickly if a book is worth reading, and this one started out decently. About the middle pages it fell flat on it's face. I'll be done with it soon and promise not to tell anyone how it didn't turn out. Fire starter as Danny suggested!
I have gotten some great book suggestions here...that's for sure! You could've just as easily stated "too many good posts and too little time to waste on stupid posts!"       

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1561 on: December 06, 2013, 02:22:50 PM »

I'm reading a book right now that is SO BAD that I can't bring myself to share the name or the author! I've threatened to stop reading it several times but now I just have to find out how the author ties all the nonsense together. My wife got it in a cheap bag of books at a second hand store. There's too many rabbits coming out of far too many hats...can't believe this thing made it into print. Pretty much just speeding through it for 20 minutes before falling asleep at night.  yak
must be anything by James Patterson yak yak

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1562 on: December 06, 2013, 02:30:12 PM »

I want another good history book, but I've read most of the good ones that interest me. I have started rereading some, but would like to find some I haven't read yet. American history has been my favorite but world history, especially about why we got into world wide conflict and the results interests me as well.
       The current news headlines seem a bit ominous.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #1563 on: December 06, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »

Danny; it's fictional and you've probably read it and it's most likely been mentioned on this thread, but Centennial by James Michener is a great American history type novel...if'n ya haven't...

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1564 on: December 06, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »

Would expect nothing less from They. Awaiting your say

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1565 on: December 06, 2013, 03:01:02 PM »

Danny; it's fictional and you've probably read it and it's most likely been mentioned on this thread, but Centennial by James Michener is a great American history type novel...if'n ya haven't...
I would rather study true history, but thanks. Calvin and Hobbes, Hank the Cowdog,  that's my kinda ficton.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1566 on: December 06, 2013, 03:20:43 PM »

I want another good history book, but I've read most of the good ones that interest me. I have started rereading some, but would like to find some I haven't read yet. American history has been my favorite but world history, especially about why we got into world wide conflict and the results interests me as well.
       The current news headlines seem a bit ominous.

The book I mentioned last, Iron Curtain, is a great piece of (missing) history. A story not often told, anyway. It helped put the cold war into some perspective, at least for me.   
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1567 on: December 06, 2013, 03:22:09 PM »

The book I mentioned last, Iron Curtain, is a great piece of (missing) history. A story not often told, anyway. It helped put the cold war into some perspective, at least for me.   
Thanks, I will check that one out.

Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #1568 on: December 06, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »

"The Berkut" by Joseph Heywood is another good book, fictional, but essentially about Hitler and WWII. He has a new one out about the Vietnam war that I'm hoping to read soon.

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #1569 on: December 06, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »

I would rather study true history, but thanks. Calvin and Hobbes, Hank the Cowdog,  that's my kinda ficton.
Wait!!! Are you telling me Calvin and Hobbes is fictional??? Oh boy, am I in trouble...all these years....

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1570 on: December 06, 2013, 03:45:37 PM »

"The Berkut" by Joseph Heywood is another good book, fictional, but essentially about Hitler and WWII. He has a new one out about the Vietnam war that I'm hoping to read soon.
             I REALLY don't care for fictional war books, there is enough fiction in some of the Non-Fiction ones as is.
    And I have read all I care to about Vietnam, it just depresses me too much....what a total waste of young men and civilian casualty's.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1571 on: December 06, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »

I REALLY don't care for fictional war books, there is enough fiction in some of the Non-Fiction ones as is.
    And I have read all I care to about Vietnam, it just depresses me too much....what a total waste of young men and civilian casualty's.

Try any of Antony Beevor's books. D-Day, Stalingrad, The Fall of Berlin etc. The last one was especially interesting to me, because again, it's a story that hasn't been told that much. The march of the Red Army on Germany after Stalingrad. Horrifying. 
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1572 on: December 06, 2013, 04:48:38 PM »

Try any of Antony Beevor's books. D-Day, Stalingrad, The Fall of Berlin etc. The last one was especially interesting to me, because again, it's a story that hasn't been told that much. The march of the Red Army on Germany after Stalingrad. Horrifying.  
I have read books on all these events. I don't recall this author. My friend who is retired airborne has a huge military/world history library so next time I'm at his house I'll ask if he has some of these. My bet is that he does and I'm allowed to borrow all I want.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1573 on: December 06, 2013, 05:21:02 PM »

I have read books on all these events. I don't recall this author. My friend who is retired airborne has a huge military/world history library so next time I'm at his house I'll ask if he has some of these. My bet is that he does and I'm allowed to borrow all I want.

Beevor is British and very readable. That's the only criticism of his work that I'm aware of. I guess reading history is supposed to be a slog. 
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1574 on: December 06, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »

Beevor is British and very readable. That's the only criticism of his work that I'm aware of. I guess reading history is supposed to be a slog. 
Stephen Ambrose wrote some of the easiest reads on WWII etc. "UNDAUNTED COURAGE" however was tough at the beginning, but that is the best book I've ever read about Jefferson, Lewis and Clark and the whole culture of North America at that time.

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1575 on: December 06, 2013, 08:07:32 PM »

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - once again.  I think this is round three for me.  I leave a good 10 years in between reads to forget the solutions to each case so it's like it's reading it new each time.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
hodagg

Ignore
« Reply #1576 on: December 07, 2013, 01:17:08 PM »

Finally getting around to reading the Steve Jobs bio by Walter Isaacson. Fascinating portrait of a very interesting guy.
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #1577 on: December 07, 2013, 03:03:54 PM »

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - once again.  I think this is round three for me.  I leave a good 10 years in between reads to forget the solutions to each case so it's like it's reading it new each time.
The older you get, the less time you need between reads to forget...

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1578 on: December 09, 2013, 01:58:36 AM »

I've never read any of the Sherlock Holmes stories, and I'm not sure why they've never interested me.  Maybe someday.  But I did read Conan Doyle's "Through the Magic Door" earlier this year and loved it.  It's basically his book about his love of books.  Pretty obscure, and I can't even remember how I heard about it: maybe via Alan Jacobs' "The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction"? - another book about reading.  You know you're a real dork when you spend time reading ABOUT reading.  Ha. 

Speaking of re-reading....  What are some of your regular re-reads?

Mine?  I read Lewis's Narnia stories every year, and also his "The Great Divorce" and "Screwtape Letters."  I used to re-read Defoe's "Robinson Crusoe" every year but it has dropped off in recent years.  I also re-read Dickens' "Christmas Carol" every year.  Short stories I re-read each year are Henry Van Dyke's "The Mansion" and Hawthorne's "Young Goodman Brown" and "Beneath and Umbrella." 

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1579 on: December 09, 2013, 02:55:58 AM »

Narnia was a regular re-read til all the kids could read it themselves. The Screwtape Letters and Screwtape Proposes a Toast are frequent consolations when the political world gets too weird. I always get portions of The Great Divorce mixed up with parts of A Wrinkle in Time, another that I read out loud so many times I thought I'd never be able to read it again, but then I discovered a re-work in graphic novel format . . .

Short stories -  Joyce Dubliners, LeGuin The Wind's Twelve Quarters, Pynchon Slow Learner.

There's a book of Hesse essays called My Belief that I'm on my second or third copy of.
I'm a little different than most lovers of Narnia.  I didn't read it till I was in my 30s; hadn't even heard of it till my late 20s.  And it struck me like almost nothing ever has.  The Bible is the only other book that's impacted me as much.  

I also liked "A Wrinkle in Time."  I didn't read it till a couple years ago and remember balling my eyes out during the scene where the older sister keeps saying "I love you, I love you, I love you" as she tries to reach the little brother who's been taken over by the enemy.  That's one of the most powerful moments I've ever encountered in literature.  

This decal is on the back of my car. Wave if you ever see me in traffic. 

Pages: 1 ... 78 [79] 80 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: