Pages: 1 ... 77 [78] 79 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 325300 times)
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1540 on: September 26, 2013, 08:32:38 PM »

Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto by Mark R. Levin I'm just a couple of chapters in and, so far, I am very much enjoying Levin's prose.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1541 on: September 28, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »

Recently finished Hank Snow's autobiography.  I really enjoyed it and learned a lot about the world of old country music. What a joy it is to have YouTube while reading a book about music these days. Read about an artist, and the next thing you know you're hearing them on YouTube. It's a great tool to have.  I remember Snow writing about his first recording session in 1936. A couple minutes later I was hearing those very pieces online. Pretty neat.

I'm currently reading The Wayfaring Stranger's Notebook by Burl Ives.  It's a book of odds and ends on history.  Good stuff. I've got his autobiography up next. 
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1542 on: September 29, 2013, 12:58:33 PM »

La Sombra Del Viento by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.  I read it a couple of years ago in the English translation and the twists of plot confused me a bit then; maybe reading it in Spanish will bring clarity.  Odds are it will multiply the "wait, what?" experience, pero ya veremos.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1543 on: September 30, 2013, 03:03:26 PM »

"The Year The Lights Came On" by Terry Kay.  Mr. Kay is becoming one of my favorite authors.  I heard about him on this thread from someone way back in the pages.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1544 on: September 30, 2013, 09:19:43 PM »

What would is Terry Kay's genre?  I've never heard of him.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1545 on: October 07, 2013, 04:13:37 AM »

What would is Terry Kay's genre?  I've never heard of him.

I am not a literature expert, however his novels usually take place in the southeast and mid-south.  I've read 3 of his books:  "To Dance with the White Dog" (recommended earlier on in this thread), "The Valley of Light" and just finished "The Year The Lights Came On".  I found out about him from the recommendation in this thread probably over a year ago.  Very glad to learn of him.

His reading is easy, with well-developed upstanding protagonists.  To me, it's good reading to go to sleep to - if that description is worth anything to you.

I believe two of his books have been adapted to movies.

Let me put a plug in here for those of you that have not yet joined Goodreads - it's a social network site and app with the purpose of what this very long thread does as well.  A couple of posters in this thread have joined, that I am aware of.  If you have a smartphone, it even lets you scan the ISBN bar-code to add your current books to your reading list.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1546 on: October 07, 2013, 05:40:40 PM »

I'll second the suggestion to join Goodreads.  It's a lot of fun.  I don't update my page often but when I do I'll upload a few short book reviews, etc.  I wish more people would give reviews and not just post what they've read, etc.  The best book reviews are only a couple paragraphs long and don't take much time.

I finished Burl Ives' "Wayfaring Stranger's Notebook" and it was excellent.  A book of random historical happenings with some of this wit and outlook thrown in.  The section about John Andres and Benedict Arnold from the Revoutionary era was just excellent, excellent reading.  I knew a little about Andres but learned much more.  This is an old, obscure book that I checked out from my local library.

I'm now reading Ives' autobiography, which he wrote as a pretty young man.  I really enjoy glimpses into the early part of the 20ty century and this one provides just that.   His wit, humor, and wisdom all come through as he tells the story of his life.  I'm about half way through it now.  It's strange how I got into Ives.  All I really ever knew about him was his stuff from the Christmas movies I watched as a child. But one day I was listening to a fellow lecturing on film-making and he played a short clip of Ives singing "Lavender Blue" from a Disney film.  I don't even remember the context, but the song with its simple and beautiful melody really grabbed me.  I checked my library for his music and came up with nothing, so I bought a cheap box set from Amazon and found a whole history of music in his songs.   Plus he just seemed to be an interesting person.  
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1547 on: December 04, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »

Been doing some annual Christmas reading:

Dickens' Christmas Carol
Henry Van Dyke's The Mansion and The Story of the Other Wise Man

Recently finished:

Death by Living by ND Wilson
Father Hunger by Douglas Wilson (ND Wilson's dad)

I'm also reading a bio of DL Moody by Faith Bailey

Good times.  
Sooner95

Ignore
« Reply #1548 on: December 04, 2013, 02:09:18 PM »

Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott
My youngest daughter got if for me last year for Christmas. One of my favorite books. She picked up a 1906 (if I remember correctly) version from a thrift shop. She's a college student and dipping into precious pizza money to buy dad a gift means a lot to me.  bigrin

Sooner95
Beginner poster and guitar player
Larrivee RS-4 Amber
Fender CD 140 SCE
Fender Stratocaster
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1549 on: December 04, 2013, 03:13:37 PM »

Ivanhoe, by Sir Walter Scott
My youngest daughter got if for me last year for Christmas. One of my favorite books. She picked up a 1906 (if I remember correctly) version from a thrift shop. She's a college student and dipping into precious pizza money to buy dad a gift means a lot to me.  bigrin
Wow, great find.  I've never read it but it's on the list.  Perhaps in 2014...
datdaddy

Ignore
« Reply #1550 on: December 04, 2013, 03:29:59 PM »

Beaten, Seared, and Sauced: On Becoming a Chef at the Culinary Institute of America by Jonathan Dixon -- our book group selection for December

Larrivee LV-10 2013
Michael Gee classical 2003
Martin D12X1AE 12 string
Alvarez AP66
Gretsch 5420t Electromatic
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1551 on: December 04, 2013, 05:45:41 PM »

Just got the new Beatles biography, Tune In but have to finish Anne Applebaum's, Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe 1944 - 1956. A must read for anyone who still has any fond thoughts about communism. 
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1552 on: December 05, 2013, 03:20:40 AM »

I just read self-help books, but I never seem to finish them or learn the lessons they try to impart.

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
Riverbend

Ignore
« Reply #1553 on: December 06, 2013, 12:00:42 AM »

I'm reading a book right now that is SO BAD that I can't bring myself to share the name or the author! I've threatened to stop reading it several times but now I just have to find out how the author ties all the nonsense together. My wife got it in a cheap bag of books at a second hand store. There's too many rabbits coming out of far too many hats...can't believe this thing made it into print. Pretty much just speeding through it for 20 minutes before falling asleep at night.  yak

Larrivee LV-03RE
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Gibson Nouveau NV-12
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Ovation MCS 148 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1554 on: December 06, 2013, 12:03:21 AM »

Sounds like a good fire starter.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1555 on: December 06, 2013, 12:19:39 AM »

Just got the new Beatles biography, Tune In but have to finish Anne Applebaum's, Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe 1944 - 1956. A must read for anyone who still has any fond thoughts about communism. 

Didn't/don't the beatles' music and rhetoric promote a world view contrary to your own? Seems to me "imagine" is right out of the marxist playbook. I'm speaking to Duck, sorry for any offense. You can answer under the radar if you wish Tom.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1556 on: December 06, 2013, 04:33:15 AM »

Didn't/don't the beatles' music and rhetoric promote a world view contrary to your own? Seems to me "imagine" is right out of the marxist playbook. I'm speaking to Duck, sorry for any offense. You can answer under the radar if you wish Tom.

In a word, No. "If you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, you ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow." Besides Imagine wasn't a Beatle song. You gotta love The Beatles. Or, you know, not. 

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1557 on: December 06, 2013, 04:45:08 AM »

Just got the new Beatles biography, Tune
Would be interested on how you find this. Is there anything left to say about these guys that already hasn't? Big fan of the Fab IV but can't imagine reading another book on them. Is this one any different?

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1558 on: December 06, 2013, 05:18:56 AM »

I'm reading a book right now that is SO BAD that I can't bring myself to share the name or the author! I've threatened to stop reading it several times but now I just have to find out how the author ties all the nonsense together. My wife got it in a cheap bag of books at a second hand store. There's too many rabbits coming out of far too many hats...can't believe this thing made it into print. Pretty much just speeding through it for 20 minutes before falling asleep at night.  yak

Too many good books and too little time to waste on bad books, in my opinion.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1559 on: December 06, 2013, 06:22:17 AM »

Is this one any different?

So they say.

http://www.amazon.ca/Tune-Beatles-All-These-Years/dp/1400083052/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386310887&sr=1-1&keywords=Beatles+in+tune
Pages: 1 ... 77 [78] 79 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: