books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

After acquiring the Nook app for my computer and my tablet, I bought and finished reading; "Easy Company Soldier" by Sgt. Don Malarkey  It took more than a few Kleenex to make it all the way thru.
   Once again several mistakes are straightened out that they got wrong when making Band of Brothers. I guess Hollywood just can't help being who they are.

In a rush one day at the library I picked up a book titled An American Wife by Curtis Sittenfield.  Turns out to be a fictionalized account of Laura Bush's life.  It's good fiction, though knowing who it is patterned after was an obstacle.  I already knew the outcome of a lot of the  plot lines.  Still, I very much enjoyed it and never would have picked it out had i known who it was based on.  Laura Bush is so...polite in public that I would have imagined the book to be a snooze fest.

On deck:  The newest book by Barbara Kingsolver, an author whom I love.  Can't think of the title.

Ryler, I think the latest Kingsolver book is "Flight Behaviour",

I am reading the biography of Tom Waits. A fascinating read!

Caz, you are right about the book title.  Thanks. 

Quote from: dependan on January 04, 2013, 01:18:24 PM
   After acquiring the Nook app for my computer and my tablet, I bought and finished reading; "Easy Company Soldier" by Sgt. Don Malarkey  It took more than a few Kleenex to make it all the way thru.
   Once again several mistakes are straightened out that they got wrong when making Band of Brothers. I guess Hollywood just can't help being who they are.

Thanks for the review. I picked this up last night - read until midnight. Finishing tonight. Great stories, loving the perspective from 'Malark' as I've read Band of Brothers, seen the mini-series numerous times, and was blessed to bicycle and hike some of the grounds between Omaha Beach and St. Mere Eglise.

Airborne - All the Way!
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Quote from: Hooked on January 05, 2013, 10:42:10 AM
Thanks for the review. I picked this up last night - read until midnight. Finishing tonight. Great stories, loving the perspective from 'Malark' as I've read Band of Brothers, seen the mini-series numerous times, and was blessed to bicycle and hike some of the grounds between Omaha Beach and St. Mere Eglise.

Airborne - All the Way!
Unless a new book comes out I have finished reading all the good ones I can find on the 506th. I may read some about the other soldiers in the 101st and the 82cnd now.
    I also would love to go to Normandy, the closest I have been is Paris. Brecourt Manor would be a stop on my list, for sure.

What I Learned in Narnia - Douglas Wilson

Through the Magic Door - Author Conan Doyle.  A fascinating book about reading by a serious book lover. 

Quote from: dependan on January 05, 2013, 10:51:23 AM
  Unless a new book comes out I have finished reading all the good ones I can find on the 506th. I may read some about the other soldiers in the 101st and the 82cnd now.
    I also would love to go to Normandy, the closest I have been is Paris. Brecourt Manor would be a stop on my list, for sure.

Check out this museum in St. Mere.... I had the fortune to cycle the Liberty Trail (Voie de Liberte) from the Normandy Beachhead to Strassburg in 1987. One of the best stops was here. Normandy Airborne Museum
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Thanks for the link.   I also started NO NAME ON THE BULLET, a biography of Audie Murphy, by Don Graham. I am always amazed at the people who have never even heard of "The most decorated soldier of WW II" Especially the Texans. I have never seen a high school etc. named for him, but Crockett, Bowie, Houston, Etc. are everywhere. Good men all, for sure.
     Yet our country chose long ago to forget Audie Murphy. Maybe because of the lifestyle he lived after the war. To me he was just a troubled man who did his best for our country and had to live with the consequences of a tortured soul, as a result of the deeds that won him the Medal of Honor and too many other medals to name.

More Guns Less Crime - John Lott

I almost typed "It's a nice break from calculus and physics books" until I realized it's kinda messed up that crime statistics is my light reading break from STEM texts. Maybe I should reread The Hobbit.

Just read all the emails under this topic,I recommend it ,it,s good reading :laughin:

Just started Stephen Kings "11-22-63.  Typical King weirdness, but I guess that's why I like his writing.  Great so far.
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

Lately I've been reading a whole bunch of booklets of excerpts from Berklee online music classes.  I signed up for a songwriting class of theirs that is free of charge and with that signup is quite a bit of great tips.  They are in .pdf and I put them right onto my Nook Color for easy access.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: dependan on January 16, 2013, 09:57:35 AM
   Give us a little review later.
Will do, but give me about two months.  This is heady stuff, and my first goround with it.  Been a Tolkien fan for years and finally decided to undertake this venture.  The first chapter is mind-bending stuff.  This fellow was a very deep well.  A real gift to the world. 

The Music Lesson by Victor Wooten. Only a few pages in but so far its very interesting.

Just read 'The Secret Race' by Tyler Hamilton and 'Seven Deadly Sins' by David Walsh.
Two EXCEEDINGLY interesting reads if your interest in the murky underbelly of cycling has been piqued by a certain Mr L. Armstrongs' interview with Oprah.

Onto 'Poseidons Arrow' by Clive Cussler now as I need a good bit of adventure reading escapism after those last two.  Nothing like a Dirk Pitt novel to lose yourself in on a cold winters night.
Larrivee Custom LCJ-10-12E 'Baby Dragon' and vine-of-life inlay
Larrivee Custom C-10E 'Ddraig Bach' ('Baby Dragon')
Gibson Les Paul Historic '59
Legra custom-made Les Paul Doubleneck
1967 Shaftesbury LP Black Beauty copy now with Bareknuckle humbuckers and 1959 spec wiring loom.

The Audie Murphy autobiography was long and a bit tedious at times, but worth reading.

I picked up a shorter WW II book called "CURRAHEE" down at half priced books. It cost a whole $3.25 and was an excellent read. Written by Donald R. Burgett who was a paratropper in the 506th, 101st. But not in easy company. He was in company A and wrote this book long before Band of Brothers. But Stephen E. Ambrose wrote the forward for this book and calls it "by a longshot the best. Without qualification"

I believe this little book was one of the main inspirations for Ambrose to write his own book about the paratroopers of the 506th, 101st.