books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Books on the giving list..."Scandalous Freedom" by Steve Brown, The Hobbit.

Music... Lonely Mountain Band collection....
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Love books!  Just finished a biography of Richard Hobson.  He was a minister in Liverpool in the 1800's.  He did much good to a tough group of folks.

For Sally this Christmas:

"Author Alice Munro grew up in Wingham, Ontario, and attended the University of Western Ontario. She has published eleven previous books.During her distinguished career she has been the recipient of many awards and prizes, including the W.H. Smith Prize, the National Book Circle Critics Award, the PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in Short Fiction, the Lannan Literary Award, the Commonwealth Writers' Prize, and the Rea Award for the Short Story. In Canada, she has won the Governor General's Award, the Giller Prize, the Trillium Book Award, and the Libris Award.Alice Munro and her husband divide their time between Clinton, Ontario, and Comox, British Columbia."
[from amazon]

I was kinda late to the party on "The Life of Pi".   A friend recommended it a few years ago but I never go around to reading it until recently.  Now I see there is a movie.
I haven't see the movie but the book is fascinating and thought-provoking just as a good book should be.

Quote from: tuffythepug on November 29, 2012, 08:36:12 PM

don't you see it on her index finger  ?

Hmmmmm...I've never heard of a wedding ring on an index finger.

I am absolutely floored by the misogynistic comments.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Quote from: LaminateBoy on November 30, 2012, 01:04:39 PM
I am absolutely floored by the misogynistic comments.

I can appreciate your sentiment.  However, since the object of the comments is "Snooki" from the "Jersey Shores"  reality tv series, who has made her living acting as trashy as humanly possible, I just can't get worked up about it.

Just starded "Bound For Glory" by Woody Guthrie. I guess it's about time, huh?
"Time flies like an arrow..Fruit flies like a banana"
Townes Van Zandt

I finished "Shifty's War" which ended up being about his life after WW II as well. Many times I had to dry my eyes while reading this book. It was written in First Person. I think that's how you put it. It was Shifty talking to you in his way about his life. The writer did a superb job, I felt as if I knew "Shifty Powers" personally.
   The last chapter required many kleenex to clear my view.

I just bought "Parachute Infantry" and it is now on my PC and Galaxy Tab II This was writen after WW II but long before Band of Brothers.

by David Webster.      Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich

Quote from: dependan on November 30, 2012, 06:21:06 PM
   I finished "Shifty's War" which ended up being about his life after WW II as well. Many times I had to dry my eyes while reading this book. It was written in First Person. I think that's how you put it. It was Shifty talking to you in his way about his life. The writer did a superb job, I felt as if I knew "Shifty Powers" personally.
   The last chapter required many kleenex to clear my view.

I just bought "Parachute Infantry" and it is now on my PC and Galaxy Tab II This was writen after WW II but long before Band of Brothers.

by David Webster.      Parachute Infantry: An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich

Being a retired Airborne type myself, you just added two books to my Santa list!
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

Quote from: Hooked on November 30, 2012, 07:26:40 PM
Being a retired Airborne type myself, you just added two books to my Santa list!

Thank you for serving.

Quote from: tuffythepug on November 30, 2012, 04:14:19 PM

I can appreciate your sentiment.  However, since the object of the comments is "Snooki" from the "Jersey Shores"  reality tv series, who has made her living acting as trashy as humanly possible, I just can't get worked up about it.
Yup, I know who she is and I stand by my comment.

To get back on topic: I just finished "The Cat's Table" by Michael Ondaatje and now I'm into "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

I finished PARACHUTE INFANTRY by David Webster on my Kindle programmed reader. ( I liked his writing style and his first hand experiences)

But today I decided to go to a real bookstore. I just wanted the feel of a real book and have a real book to pass along to some else.

So I bought three books, all at less than half price and less than a Kindle reader price. All were new and one was a hard bound book. We have "Half Priced Books" stores in Austin. They are very popular around here.

I'm starting with BIGGEST BROTHER, The life of Major Dick Winters... by Larry Alexander

Quote from: dependan on December 04, 2012, 03:52:17 PM
I finished PARACHUTE INFANTRY by David Webster on my Kindle programmed reader. ( I liked his writing style and his first hand experiences)

But today I decided to go to a real bookstore. I just wanted the feel of a real book and have a real book to pass along to some else.

So I bought three books, all at less than half price and less than a Kindle reader price. All were new and one was a hard bound book. We have "Half Priced Books" stores in Austin. They are very popular around here.

I'm starting with BIGGEST BROTHER, The life of Major Dick Winters... by Larry Alexander
Big fan of Half Price Books here.  Up in DFW they're all over the place.  There's one in Dallas the size of a Walmart.

Quote from: the creature on December 05, 2012, 12:33:52 PM
Big fan of Half Price Books here.  Up in DFW they're all over the place.  There's one in Dallas the size of a Walmart.
Dallas is where they began it all. Everytime and anytime I go in one in Austin it has a lot of people with stacks of books in their hands.
     I was disappointed not to find D-Day by Stephen Ambrose, but he is an extremely popular author. I may get it from Amazon.

Quote from: dependan on December 05, 2012, 12:39:31 PM
 Dallas is where they began it all.
Right you are.  One of my family's Christmas traditions is to go over to the big one on Northwest Highway and browse for a couple hours.  There's even a little play area for the little ones.  Always inspires me to want to read, read, read!  It's been a wonderful book year for me.  I'm not sure if any of you keep reading logs.  If so we should do a 2012 reading log thread.  Would be fun to see.  I keep a reading log that goes back many years.  I find it a good way to track not only my reading but also my thinking.  I can see patterns develop or drop off.  Helps me to know what year/era of my life I became interested in what.  I highly recommend it.  Plus, when I'm dead my children or grandchildren or great-grandchildren can enjoy the lists.  Who knows, might inspire someone to be a reader or writer or at least a thinker.  

Currently reading "A company of heroes" by Marcus Brotherton. This one has the life stories of 26 men who were involved in the real band of brothers.

I have found that several facts were gotten wrong in the HBO series and these books I've been reading clear up most of those misleading stories.

What I am really doing here is studying the human condition under extreme circumstances. War is about extreme as it gets. And no one can predict how anyone will react when they are truly put through these life threatening circumstances. ie. A man who is noble in all areas of life may wither in battle and drop his weapon and quiver.
    That's simplistic but gets to the point, I think it does anyway.