books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We sure could use some Yogi Berras and Will Rogers now a days. Good funny stuff with a slice of common sense and some wisdom sprinkled on top.

I thought this image might act as inspiration to us all to switch off all that social media and enrich our minds with an improving book!     :smile:

Please post more so we can get to the next page and not have to see this picture.

Anybody......please  :rolleye:

Quote from: dependan on November 28, 2012, 06:20:09 PM
  Though Yogi also said    "The future ain't what it used to be" :roll

Or, as that US President said    "Ask not what you can do for your country, ask what your country can do for you."

Quote from: Walkerman on November 28, 2012, 10:08:09 PM

Or, as that US President said    "Ask not what you can do for your country, ask what your country can do for you."
I know you have the quote backwards. But has any US PRESIDENT really said this?

"The Hobbit" and "The Book of the Dead"
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: dependan on November 28, 2012, 10:12:56 PM
I know you have the quote backwards. But has any US PRESIDENT really said this?

It's the current philosophy in 51% of the US population.

I am not very optimistic.

Before this book thread (now over six years old, close to 60,000 views, 69 pages in length, and over 1300 posts) devolves into some kind of post-election makers vs takers political rant, and gets locked down or deleted, what books are you giving this holiday season, to whom, and why?

It'd be a shame to get this old thread shut down. 

Me and my boys are about to go through The Hobbit in prep for the film. Can't wait!

How many more posts do we need to get to the next page?

f

BTW: I AM going to give a book or two for Christmas but my shopping doesn't start for a few weeks. :blush:
Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)

Quote from: Queequeg on November 29, 2012, 06:49:34 AM
Before this book thread (now over six years old, close to 60,000 views, 69 pages in length, and over 1300 posts) devolves into some kind of post-election makers vs takers political rant, and gets locked down or deleted, what books are you giving this holiday season, to whom, and why?

Yes, good idea.   this thread has managed to run for a long time without much political content.   
I will be giving my wife a cookbook this  year.   It' a win/win for me    :thumb

I am very interested in "Shifty's War" which I am currently reading through a Kindle App. I'll probably be finished with it today.

So my next book will be "Parachute Infantry" by David Kenyon Webster.   "Web" was an original member of the Band of Brothers who started at Harvard and then enlisted to do his part. He wrote this book after returning from WW II and I think it's one of the few written about Easy Co. before Stephen Ambrose wrote "Band of Brothers" and made Easy Company famous. Stephen Ambrose wrote the introduction to this book as well. It was published after David Websters death. He died at sea in 1961.

Also, in case anyone doesn't know this. You can download a free Kindle or Nook APP for your computer and read books purchased from Amazon, Barnes and Noble and free books from other sources. I just put the App on my laptop and I like to read from the larger screen.

I have Kindle, Nook, and iBooks on my iPhone 4S. I find the iBooks layout the classiest hands down. But I use Kindle more because its hooked up to Amazon.  I'm reading less paper books all the time. Kind of bums me out though I don't know exactly why. 

I always give books for Christmas gifts.  Usually picked out last minute.  That's part of the fun: browsing the bookstores till late trying to decide what book for whom. 

Quote from: dependan on November 28, 2012, 09:20:44 PM
Please post more so we can get to the next page and not have to see this picture.

Which picture? This one?   

Quote from: ewalling on November 29, 2012, 12:38:26 PM
Which picture? This one?   

Is that what's known as a dog and pony show.................. :humour:

Quote from: Walkerman on November 29, 2012, 12:41:05 PM
Is that what's known as a dog and pony show.................. :humour:

That's funny right there:  I don't care who ya are. :winkin:

Quote from: tuffythepug on November 29, 2012, 03:45:00 PM

That's funny right there:  I don't care who ya are. :winkin:
Well, you know, cept maybe her husband.

Quote from: dependan on November 29, 2012, 05:43:56 PM
Well, you know, cept maybe her husband.