Pages: 1 ... 66 [67] 68 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 325877 times)
ffinke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1320 on: October 12, 2012, 04:46:57 PM »

"Back to Work" by Bill Clinton. Eye opener.

f

Larrivee L-03 w/Gotoh 381 tuners (African Mahogany/Sitka)
Collings OM2Hc (EIR/Sitka)
Schenk Ophirio (Sapele/Cedar)
Bourgeois 00 Custom (Mahogany/It. Spruce)
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1321 on: October 12, 2012, 09:23:26 PM »

Just got my copy of "Guitar" by Brookes. I was hooked by the intro. I could lose a little sleep with a book like this.

And what makes it so compelling?
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1322 on: October 13, 2012, 02:22:26 AM »

And what makes it so compelling?
The writing style is fun, fast-moving, and witty; and the subject matter is something I'm interested in.
vacapicker

Ignore
« Reply #1323 on: October 13, 2012, 06:33:18 PM »

I'm actually wishing I wasn't at the end of this book!   Going to need another read like this soon.     

"You can observe alot just by watching." Yogi Berra
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1324 on: October 13, 2012, 09:25:36 PM »

Well then I've got to add it to the list.  I'm just finishing The Story of A Secret State by Jan Karski.  It's the memoir of an agent in the underground Polish government during the Nazi occupation of Poland.  Fascinating how organized they were.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1325 on: October 14, 2012, 05:44:17 AM »

I'm actually wishing I wasn't at the end of this book!   Going to need another read like this soon.     
Brookes really gets into the weird world of guitar players: how we think about and see guitars, not just as instruments but as an extension of the self.  I also love that he chose a builder that I was unaware of.  It's great learning about the builder and the writer's perspective and experience all at the same time. I'd love to e able to commission a custom build someday. What a neat process it all is.  Love the writing style too: very fun and entertaining, but at the same time very well done. 
vacapicker

Ignore
« Reply #1326 on: October 14, 2012, 10:16:53 PM »

Any others out there with a story line like Brookes?      Finding the "Holy Grail" guitar and luthier?

"You can observe alot just by watching." Yogi Berra
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1327 on: October 15, 2012, 06:43:48 PM »

Any others out there with a story line like Brookes?      Finding the "Holy Grail" guitar and luthier?
yes, the book Clapton's Guitar.  It's been mentioned in this thread.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1328 on: October 26, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »

"GOD in the FOXHOLE" by Charles W. Sasser

Very interesting true stories. Some I have read before in factual accounts written by many authors.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1329 on: November 13, 2012, 02:00:17 AM »

It seems that I begin this thread after it is dormant. So maybe I am a thread beginner (Of course I ended it as well on 10/26)

Anyhow....   I finally gave in and got my first Kindle book for my GALAXY TAB 2.  The book is "To Hell and Back" by Audie Murphy. Who is the most decorated soldier from WWII. The book is so far above the movie they don't even seem like the same story. It is his autobiography in case you didn't know. He is a man worth knowing about and his story truly is one of an American hero at his best.

Reading the book in my Galaxy Tab 2 is easy and I will buy more books this way. Though I like to share my books as well and that is a drawback.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1330 on: November 13, 2012, 02:39:06 AM »

I'm hoping to get a kindle paper white for Christmas.  Been reading kindle via iPhone all year. Excellent tool.  I'm going to remember that Audie Murphy book. Never read a war story book.  Well, I did read Jarhead. 
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1331 on: November 13, 2012, 03:05:27 AM »

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.  I started it this summer ,and probably posted here that I was reading it, but set it aside.  Now more than half way through, I'm really loving it.
jandrew

Ignore
« Reply #1332 on: November 13, 2012, 03:37:58 AM »

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.  I started it this summer ,and probably posted here that I was reading it, but set it aside.  Now more than half way through, I'm really loving it.

Finished that one recently (then saw the movie) ... I enjoyed the book and the different writing styles the author employed throughout the various stories.

andrew

Andrew J.
Larrivee L-07 / DR sunbeams 13s
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1333 on: November 15, 2012, 05:37:26 AM »

The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot, on my Nook.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1334 on: November 15, 2012, 04:19:57 PM »

Just started A River Runs Through It this morning. 
Hooked

Ignore
« Reply #1335 on: November 15, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »

Just started A River Runs Through It this morning. 

Great book!

Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...
Tio Kimo

Ignore
« Reply #1336 on: November 15, 2012, 08:39:07 PM »

assuming this wise a$$ remark has been made before in the 67 pages of this thread, but....

reading??? Shouldn't we be practicing??

It is never too late to be what you might have been. - Eliot

2004 LV-03/Fishman Ellipse
2010 RS-2/G3 'buckers

honorable mentions: Heritage 535, Bourgeois/Washburn D55 "Cherokee"
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1337 on: November 27, 2012, 11:39:44 PM »

I've been reading previews of several books from Kindle/Amazon. Finally I settled on "Shifty's War". He was the soft spoken country gentleman from Virginia, who was a sharpshooter in the "Band of Brothers". Shifty died in 2009 at the age of 86. All the pics show him with a cig in his hand. I figure his heart and good nature had much to do with his length of days.
    I told my wife last night how glad I was that they interviewed these priceless men before they died and even have videos of them sharing about their brothers in arms.   I watched "Band of Brothers all the way through again the last few days. I always see something else I missed, or something that makes more sense to me now due to the extensive reading about WW II and this company of heroes specifically.

Book title in full: SHIFTY'S WAR      The authorized biography of Sgt. Darrel "Shifty" Powers, The legendary sharpshooter from the Band of Brothers
by MARCUS BROTHERTON

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1338 on: November 28, 2012, 01:56:09 PM »

Just saw the 3rd and final installment of The Last Lion came out.  That'll be on my  Xmas list.
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1339 on: November 28, 2012, 03:09:56 PM »

"To Hell and Back" by Audie Murphy. Who is the most decorated soldier from WWII.

There is a stone monument dedicated to Audie Murphy on Brush Mountain, along the Appalachian Trail. The day I saw the Audie Murphy Memorial included a very frightening trip across Dragon's Tooth in a severe lightning storm and was finished off with a trip to the Homeplace Restaurant near Catawba, Va. Thinking of Audie's heroism in WW II, while worrying about being struck by lightening atop Dragon's Tooth, really made me realize how the WW II vets had to subvert their natural fears to be able to go through what they did. Yet and still they persevered. I'm afraid we no longer posses a citizenry in the United States that is selfless enough to do what the WW II vets did.
Pages: 1 ... 66 [67] 68 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: