books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three Junes by Julia Glass.  Good so far.

"Woe to Live On" by Daniel Woodrell, the author of "Winter's Bone," which was turned into a great movie a year or so ago.  I've read a couple of his, and they're brilliant.  Highly recommend.
This ain't quite heaven and it ain't quite hell
ain't no angels playin harps
ain't no devils with tails

Larrivee OO-03R
Martin D-18

Quote from: dependan on June 29, 2012, 12:15:33 PM
Delta Force by Col. Charlie A. Beckwith   
The U.S. COUNTER TERRORIST UNIT and the IRAN HOSTAGE RESCUE MISSION
Quote from: dependan on July 16, 2012, 02:13:53 PM
  I finished this one and yesterday I went by to spend the afternoon with my retired military friend.

I pulled out the book and showed it to him and asked if he had read it (knowing he must have). He says "Oh yea, Charlie, I have a signed copy and some of his other books. We spent a lot of time together ETC."

It turns out when Col. Beckwith retired he came to Austin and my friend spent much time with him.

So now I'm starting "Inside Delta Force" by Sergeant Major Haney, who was there in the beginning with the founding members.

(This stuff is better than fiction to me)
I finished  "Inside Delta Force" by Sergeant Major Haney" and it is the best of the small handful of books written by Delta Force members, about Delta Force. Only three have been written, all others are accounts from people outside of Delta Force and may or may not be presenting the correct facts or true perspective of historical events.

I'm well into the third book, written by a Delta Force commander, "Dalton Fury" called "KILL BIN LADEN". This has quite a bit regarding the Tora Bora conflict (WAR) in Afghanistan. It is a very good read. I just think Sergeant Major Eric Haney is a better writer and is a much more colorful personality. A man you want on your side, for sure.

Just finished "That Wicked River, The Mississippi, When it Last Ran Wild."  Great nonfiction reading. 
Just started "Moment in the Sun," by John Sayles, a tome of America historical fiction.  Fantastic.
This ain't quite heaven and it ain't quite hell
ain't no angels playin harps
ain't no devils with tails

Larrivee OO-03R
Martin D-18

The Daybreakers by Louis L'Amour
Annals of a Quiet Neighborhood by George MacDonald

Just reading a bunch of pulp fiction. The best? Buried Prey by John Sandford. The worst? The Overton Window by Glenn Beck. Actually not what I expected but whatever you think of his politics, his writing is awful.   

In the first hundred pages of A Frolic of One's Own by Wm. Gaddis.  Very funny satire.

Just finished Capitol Punishment by Jack Abramoff and American Gods by Neil Gaimen. Just started Clapton's Guitar by Allen St. John and I am back and forth between The Anansi Brothers  by Neil Gaimen and I Got A Name by Ingrid Croce.

Books in waiting:  to many to list.
Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Wessex BBb Helicon

Quote from: Tuba Mike on August 29, 2012, 07:04:11 PM
Just started Clapton's Guitar by Allen St. John
LOVE that book. I've actually been thinking of rereading it.  My favorite part was picturing hanging around Henderson's workshop in the mountains.  That would be such a great life.  

Quote from: the creature on August 30, 2012, 11:57:04 AM
LOVE that book. I've actually been thinking of rereading it.  My favorite part was picturing hanging around Henderson's workshop in the mountains.  That would be such a great life. 
That does sound cool.
   I'm also reading "Lonely Planet's" travel guide to New Zealand, specifically the guide to the South Island plus Wellington, which is on the southern tip of the North island. We don't need much info on the North island seeing as friends have apparently arranged most of our activities in the North and some in the South. But we want to do some exploring on our own while at the bottom of the world. We leave next Tuesday from Austin. It will be fantastic to get out of this heat for three weeks.

Just started "Shop Class As Soul craft"
An inquiry into the value of work.
Mathew B. Crawford.
Great read !!!

"SOLDIERS Fighting Men's Lives 1901-2001" by Philip Ziegler

I found this at a small used book shop in southern New Zealand. It is a very interesting read about British soldiers lives.

Finished Stephen Kings "Wind Through the Keyhole" a while back.  Just got done with "Hulk, My Life Outside the Ring" a few days ago.  Surprisingly a good read!  I'm now reading "Bob Dylan  Chronicles".  Pretty interesting stuff...
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

Just finished "Life" Keith RICHARDS - was that book ever disappointing. Before the book I thought he'd be a pretty cool nice guy, came away feeling he's neither. Very little insight to either his guitar playing and songwriting or the Rolling Stones.

Considering Ian Tyson's New Book The Long Trail. Anyone read it :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

"I'm Your Man"............ the biography of Leonard Cohen

"Guitar" an American Life by Tim Brookes.  The author takes you on the journey of finding a luthier to build his guitar and intersperses stories of the life of the guitar and players through the decades that I find fascinating. Very good read.  :beer
"You can observe alot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Quote from: vacapicker on October 10, 2012, 08:30:25 PM
"Guitar" an American Life by Tim Brookes.  The author takes you on the journey of finding a luthier to build his guitar and intersperses stories of the life of the guitar and players through the decades that I find fascinating. Very good read.  :beer

I read that one a few years ago.   Made me want to have one of the guitars by that builder :thumb

Quote from: vacapicker on October 10, 2012, 08:30:25 PM
I recently ordered a copy of this.  Found it randomly while doing a search on the library website.  I should have it in the next few days, and I'm really looking forward to getting to it. I read the book about Clapton's guitar hope this one is just as good.

Fire Mountains of the West: The Cascade and Mono Lake Volcanoes- Stephan L. Harris a great reference for the Cascade range and the Mono Lake/Mammoth Lakes areas.
Where White Men Fear to Tread: The Autobiography of Russell Means- the life of a modern Lakota and member of AIM.
The Dude abides.

Just got my copy of "Guitar" by Brookes. I was hooked by the intro. I could lose a little sleep with a book like this.