books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pick up Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust by world renowned record producer and engineer Ken Scott. A great summer read!  :thumbsup
Larrivee 000-60MR w Adi
Larrivee P03
Martin 0001
Taylor 614ce
Baby Taylor

Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking , by Susan Cain

Really an interesting book that digs into the dynamics of introverts and extroverts, how the 'Extrovert Ideal' became the model for success in life and in business, and how introverts can adapt in a world that continually calls for collaboration and team work, and which puts a premium on outward socialization.  The book also touches on models for learning in schools and raising shy, empathetic children.  As a introvert at heart this book really helped me reconcile what makes me happy and gives me energy, versus the adaptions I've made over the years to conform/succed in my career and community.  It's definitely worth a read which ever side of the intro/extro scale you're on, and since many of history's most creative people (musicians, artists, inventors, authors, scientists, etc,) were true introverts, I thought it good to raise awareness of the book here!
All Lefty:
Acoustic:
Larrivee OMV-10
Larrivee D-05E
Martin CEO-7
Taylor 416

Electric:
Larrivee RS-4, Forum V #2
Fender American Standard Tele
Fender Aerodyne Strat
PureSalem Elevation
Epiphone Joe Pass, modified with Gibson '57 classics

MC13, Looks interesting.  Thanks for the review.

mc13, I just added that one to my Goodreads list based on your review.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

I'm now on Stephen King's "Lisey's Story". I thought it would be a sleeper but half way through it's really interesting.

Read "The Cricket in Times Square" by George Selden.  Newberry winner fave from my childhood.  I remember a different ending, but still a nice walk down memory lane.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Rereading Mere Christianity by CS Lewis for the umpteenth time.

Quote from: rockstar_not on June 17, 2012, 11:47:14 PM
Read "The Cricket in Times Square" by George Selden.  Newberry winner fave from my childhood.  I remember a different ending, but still a nice walk down memory lane.

Aww, I remember loving that book.

A biography of Richard Hobson: A Faithful Pastor.

I finished No True Glory. I'm glad I read it, but the facts are very sad.
Storm on the horizon, by David Morris is next.

Just started A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle. I'm in chapter four and haven't been this fascinated in a long time with a new book. Can tell I'll be reading this one again, probably a few times.

I LOVED A Wrinkle in Time.  Never thought of reading it as an adult.  Now that I hear you're into it, I may give it a re-read.  Meg and Charles Wallace...and the Tesseract...which I don't quite remember what it was. 

I am reading The 42nd Parallel by John Dos Passos.   Maybe I mentioned that already.  So far, it's very good. 

Finished Storm on the Horizon. I found a book from 1948 in perfect condition by Dwight  Eisenhower and it looks like Elinore Roosevelt gave it as gift to a friend in 1949. We are not sure of the signature.
I paid a dollar for it at Goodwill

Quote from: ryler on June 25, 2012, 05:01:40 PM
I LOVED A Wrinkle in Time.  Never thought of reading it as an adult.  Now that I hear you're into it, I may give it a re-read.  Meg and Charles Wallace...and the Tesseract...which I don't quite remember what it was. 

I am reading The 42nd Parallel by John Dos Passos.   Maybe I mentioned that already.  So far, it's very good. 
I missed all this stuff as a kid. Having a blast catching up. I'm actually glad it's worked out like this. Like Lewis, I've gotten old enough to read fairie tales again.  I guess the only difference is I never read them the first time.

Quote from: the creature on June 25, 2012, 03:53:38 PM
Just started A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle. I'm in chapter four and haven't been this fascinated in a long time with a new book. Can tell I'll be reading this one again, probably a few times.
That was a required reading book back in 5th grade for me.  It was a fascinating book at the time.  I will have to reread that one again.  That's going on my Goodreads to-read list right now.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

As long as we are bringing up great literature for children, these were all required reading for me at one point or another and I remember them fondly:
Elementary School:

Charlotte's Web
The Phantom Tollbooth
A Wrinkle in Time
Sounder
The Incredible Journey
The Great Brain series

Elementary School reading for fun on my own:
The Sugar Creek Gang series

Junior high reading:

Flowers for Algernon
The Outsiders

High School:

Oops - can't recall anything enjoyable from that time frame, mostly because I had to read Shakespeare and Chaucer, and a bunch of other stuff that I didn't get into.

College reading for fun:
Tolkien (my Dad tried to get me to read it in Jr. High and I hated it - mainly because I had no appreciation for anything ancient - wasn't until I had spent some time in Europe that I then appreciated Tolkien)
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Let's add to the high school books that I read again as an adult with new appreciation list...
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Ender's Game
To Kill a Mockingbird
2001:A Space Odyssey
Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wires...

OM-40 SB
Forum VI - LS-03 Moonwood/Walnut
Seagull S6

I just started "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand.  It's a fabulous read about Lou Zamperini, olympian and WWII airman, chronicling his capture by the Japanese.  Hillenbrand is a first rate storyteller and I just can't put it down.  An amazing story of an amazing life.

gtrplayer

Some great books on the reread lists.  I was supposed to read To Kill a Mockingbird in grade 10 but blew it off. I read it around age 32 and was deeply moved. Keep meaning to read it again.  As I've said, I was not a reader in my youth. I'm not sure if the right book would have even helped. I had such little imagination and preferred to play Atari and ride dirt bikes. So I'm suspicious of theories on how to "make" readers. I think it simply has to be the right time. It won't happen for everyone but to those it does happen to, it's on the level of a religious experience.

The Outsiders was my favorite film growing up. I read the book many years later and was surprised how faithful it was to the book.

Scott, your Goodreads thing is fun and I have enjoyed keeping up, though it's hard to find time for one more online thing. I'd like to list some books but don't think I'd have time to keep up with it.

Quote from: gtrplayer on June 26, 2012, 07:17:45 AM
I just started "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand.  It's a fabulous read about Lou Zamperini, olympian and WWII airman, chronicling his capture by the Japanese.  Hillenbrand is a first rate storyteller and I just can't put it down.  An amazing story of an amazing life.

gtrplayer

Incredible book - definitely second this one as a must read if you like books on endurance and the strength of the human spirit!
All Lefty:
Acoustic:
Larrivee OMV-10
Larrivee D-05E
Martin CEO-7
Taylor 416

Electric:
Larrivee RS-4, Forum V #2
Fender American Standard Tele
Fender Aerodyne Strat
PureSalem Elevation
Epiphone Joe Pass, modified with Gibson '57 classics