Pages: 1 ... 58 [59] 60 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 311252 times)
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1160 on: February 08, 2012, 03:19:15 PM »

Been heavily immersed in Loius L'Amour's book of poetry, Smoke From This Alter.  Heretical in "serious" poetry circles, but I've hardly ever enjoyed poetry more than this.
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1161 on: February 18, 2012, 01:47:17 PM »

To The Light House by Virginia Woolf.  I am surprised by the excellence of this book.  Yes, taught as a classic, but always as a diminished classic.  A lesser classic.  At least that has been my sense of the book's reputation.  In the 40 pages I've read thus far, it is an exquisite portrayal of the human spirit, mind, condition.  Nuanced.  Poignant. Good.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1162 on: February 18, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »

About to start N.D. Wilson's THE DRAGON'S TOOTH from his new Ashtown Burial series. 

Also, not reading but writing... I'm putting the finishing touches on a novel I've been working on since June. 
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1163 on: February 18, 2012, 09:42:09 PM »

Whoa, creature!  Finishing touches?  Very impressive.  Congratulations.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1164 on: February 18, 2012, 10:45:37 PM »

Whoa, creature!  Finishing touches?  Very impressive.  Congratulations.
Yep. Unpublished (obviously). Mostly just wrote it for my children.
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1165 on: February 18, 2012, 11:14:15 PM »

My cousin-in-law (?) just got picked up by a publisher after mmm, I'd say 5 years of trying and is due to be in print next June.  She just knew that what she wrote was good, and kept the faith all that time.  So who knows?  I'm sure your kids will cherish what you have left for them, published or not.  Make sure you send it to unclrob for spelling and general copy editing first!
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1166 on: February 18, 2012, 11:49:02 PM »

My cousin-in-law (?) just got picked up by a publisher after mmm, I'd say 5 years of trying and is due to be in print next June.  She just knew that what she wrote was good, and kept the faith all that time.  So who knows?  I'm sure your kids will cherish what you have left for them, published or not.  Make sure you send it to unclrob for spelling and general copy editing first!
I wouldn't even know how to begin the process.  I think what I have is pretty good (fantasy, Narnianesque in flavor) and that it might appeal to people.  I'll probably let people read it if they want to.

I will put the final few sentences on the ending tomorrow; then begins the process of editing and tightening things up.  I'm sure several parts will be re-written in that process.  It all might take a few more months. I only get to work on it during my lunchbreaks.  
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1167 on: February 21, 2012, 03:41:40 PM »

Just finished That Hideous Strength by CS Lewis, the final installment of his Space Trilogy. This last story happens on Earth though. One of the best books I've ever read. FYI: you wouldn't have to read the first two books to enjoy it.

Just started a reread of The Great Divorce by Lewis via audiobook.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1168 on: February 25, 2012, 06:15:51 AM »

Silas Marner

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1169 on: February 25, 2012, 04:37:37 PM »

Silas Marner
Read it last year.  Wonderful stuff.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1170 on: March 16, 2012, 04:20:33 PM »

I am reading a few books at once right now, but the one that is the magnet is WITH THE OLD BREED by E.B. Sledge

Amazing writing for a man who in no way is a writer. I think that's what makes this the BEST first hand memoir of WW II in the Pacific. For those who don't know he was a rifleman in the Marines, as well as a "stove pipe boy". His story is told in the series "The Pacific" by Tom Hanks.

I don't want this one to end, because of the "window" Mr. Sledge provides into the realities of his daily life in training and in battle. I have read many history books, but his one stands alone for its stark depiction of life on the front lines.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #1171 on: March 16, 2012, 04:30:51 PM »

I recently finished the Autobiography of an American Sniper by an ex Navy Seal.   In light of the recent civilian slaughter in Afghanistan it is an interesting glimpse into the training and the mind-set of these guys.

Right now I am deeply into "Cutting For Stone" and I am totally engrossed.   I am a sucker for books that have a betrayal and redemption theme, blush
So far I've seen a fair amount of betrayal so there better be some redemption coming up at the end  mad
The book is set in Ethiopia during Haille Sellassie's rein and, so for, takes place in small medical facility with one operating room.  Great cast of characters that are very well defined.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1172 on: March 16, 2012, 04:45:41 PM »

I met a fine young Marine yesterday and we talked about different books. He recommended "No True Glory: A Frontline Account of the Battle for Fallujah" written by Bing West. So I ordered it today. The young Marine is a Sargent and served twice in Iraq and is going back once more. I thanked him sincerely for his service.

jandrew

Ignore
« Reply #1173 on: March 16, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »

Just finished "The Windup Girl" by Paolo Bacigalugi -- an excellent first full length novel from this SF writer.

As for war stories, "Birdsong" by Sebastian Faulks is terrific: great writing and the rendering of life in the trenches and tunnels of World War I will surely stay with you. Not a light read.

andrew

Andrew J.
Larrivee L-07 / DR sunbeams 13s
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1174 on: March 16, 2012, 04:55:48 PM »

Just finished "The Windup Girl" by Paolo Bacigalugi -- an excellent first full length novel from this SF writer.

As for war stories, "Birdsong" by Sebastian Faulks is terrific: great writing and the rendering of life in the trenches and tunnels of World War I will surely stay with you. Not a light read.

andrew
"Birdsong"     Is that just a "Story" or is it "History"? I find no need to read fiction with all the well written true (hopefully) accounts that are available.

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1175 on: March 16, 2012, 05:03:19 PM »

Went thrift store diving yesterday and scored big. Found a vintage hardback of Treasure Island and Dante's Comedy for two bucks total. An old edition of Bronte's Heights for a buck. Steinbeck's Red Pony for 50 cents. And three poetic volumes: Blake, Christina Rosetti and WB Yeats. A lovely day!
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1176 on: March 16, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »

Went thrift store diving yesterday and scored big. Found a vintage hardback of Treasure Island and Dante's Comedy for two bucks total. An old edition of Bronte's Heights for a buck. Steinbeck's Red Pony for 50 cents. And three poetic volumes: Blake, Christina Rosetti and WB Yeats. A lovely day!
  That's the stuff we like to do as well, good deal

jandrew

Ignore
« Reply #1177 on: March 16, 2012, 05:09:11 PM »

"Birdsong"     Is that just a "Story" or is it "History"? I find no need to read fiction with all the well written true (hopefully) accounts that are available.

It is a fictional novel -- but that is certainly no reason to pass on it.

andrew

Andrew J.
Larrivee L-07 / DR sunbeams 13s
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1178 on: March 16, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »

It is a fictional novel -- but that is certainly no reason to pass on it.

andrew
  Thank you, I just have at least a dozen historical books to read first, I keep finding so many good ones I haven't read yet.

Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1179 on: March 16, 2012, 06:14:16 PM »

Started Walter Isaacson's bio, Steve Jobs. I'm liking it. I do not consider myself to be a rabid Apple guy. I use PCs more than Macs, but I have an iPhone, and a MacBook Pro, and I am tempted to buy one of the reburbished iPad II tablets now that iPad III has been released into the wild.

Just in time for St Patricks Day, I'm reading To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings by John O'Donohue
Here is a sample, which I posted on another board here recently.

Beannacht
("Blessing")

On the day when
the weight deadens
on your shoulders
and you stumble,
may the clay dance
to balance you.

And when your eyes
freeze behind
the grey window
and the ghost of loss
gets in to you,
may a flock of colours,
indigo, red, green,
and azure blue
come to awaken in you
a meadow of delight.

When the canvas frays
in the currach of thought
and a stain of ocean
blackens beneath you,
may there come across the waters
a path of yellow moonlight
to bring you safely home.

May the nourishment of the earth be yours,
may the clarity of light be yours,
may the fluency of the ocean be yours,
may the protection of the ancestors be yours.
And so may a slow
wind work these words
of love around you,
an invisible cloak
to mind your life.

~ John O'Donohue ~
Pages: 1 ... 58 [59] 60 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: