books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Currently reading: "Political Philosophy" by Adam Swift.
On deck: "Living with the Devil: A Meditation on Good and Evil" by Stephen Batchelor.

Both are print books, simply because there aren't a Kindle editions, but I'm a big fan of electronic books in all forms, and prefer to go that way when I can.

Currently listening to: "The Birth of Classical Europe" by Simon Price.

I'm in a non-fiction phase right now, but I bounce back and forth a lot.
OM-02    Breedlove OM/MMe   Taylor GS Mini   Yamaha NTX700
Various Strats, Teles and a Gretsch

Lots of guitars, not much talent...

Currently reading: The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt by Toby Wilkinson

This is a good overview of the history of Egypt from the pre dynastic era through the end of pharaonic rule with the death of Cleopatra and the beginning of Roman rule of Egypt. This is pretty much as detailed as the survey course in Egyptian archeology I took years ago. Which makes it an excellent refresher. Wilkinson always remembers to point out that these people were despots who's rule was harsh if you were not one of the elite. Which is fairly refreshing.

Just finished an as yet unpublished book by Mandy Houk - she's from our small group from church.  I will not be surprised if it gets picked up by a publisher.  Also just finished Master and Man by Leo Tolstoy.  Quick one-night read.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on January 01, 2012, 10:42:59 PM
Just finished an as yet unpublished book by Mandy Houk - she's from our small group from church.  I will not be surprised if it gets picked up by a publisher. 
I'm curious, did she have the book bound up and printed, or did you read it on a PDF?  Also, was this a story or some form of theological work?

Quote from: the creature on January 02, 2012, 08:04:07 AM
I'm curious, did she have the book bound up and printed, or did you read it on a PDF?  Also, was this a story or some form of theological work?

The book was not bound/printed.  I had a word document, which I then converted to .pdf and with the Calibre software, I turned it into an ePub to read on my Nook Color - read nearly like any other book.  It's a fictional work.  I'll see if I can get permission from her to let you have a look at it.

The only issue with the whole process was that it appears that Calibre converted the Word and/or .pdf document page numbers into part of the body of the text.  There's a whole load of settings in Calibre to turn things into ePub format and I probably set one of them wrong.

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on January 04, 2012, 04:17:29 PM
The book was not bound/printed.  I had a word document, which I then converted to .pdf and with the Calibre software, I turned it into an ePub to read on my Nook Color - read nearly like any other book.  It's a fictional work.  I'll see if I can get permission from her to let you have a look at it.

The only issue with the whole process was that it appears that Calibre converted the Word and/or .pdf document page numbers into part of the body of the text.  There's a whole load of settings in Calibre to turn things into ePub format and I probably set one of them wrong.

Sure, I'd take a look at it. I mainly asked as someone interested in writing and self-publishing.

Quote from: the creature on January 05, 2012, 08:37:27 AM
Sure, I'd take a look at it. I mainly asked as someone interested in writing and self-publishing.

In that case, it's quite easy to do this to make eBooks.  Download the freeware Calibre program, look for help on-line on how to convert your written formats into various e-book formats using Calibre, and then all you have to do is get B&N and Amazon to list the book in their inventories/stores.

Here's B&N's answer to your question of self-publishing for the Nook series at least:  http://pubit.barnesandnoble.com/pubit_app/bn?t=pi_reg_home

2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on January 05, 2012, 12:16:04 PM
In that case, it's quite easy to do this to make eBooks.  Download the freeware Calibre program, look for help on-line on how to convert your written formats into various e-book formats using Calibre, and then all you have to do is get B&N and Amazon to list the book in their inventories/stores.

Here's B&N's answer to your question of self-publishing for the Nook series at least:  http://pubit.barnesandnoble.com/pubit_app/bn?t=pi_reg_home

That looks like pretty interesting stuff.  Thanks for the links. 

Currently reading:

GEORGE MACDONALD: VICTORIAN MYTHMAKER by Rolland Hein 

One of my 2012 goals is to read two books a month.

My first read for 2012 is a great motivational book, "Get Off Your "But": How to End Self-Sabotage and Stand Up for Yourself" - here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Off-Your-But-Self-Sabotage/dp/0470399937/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326227855&sr=1-1

Quote from: PastorChuck on January 10, 2012, 02:39:01 PM
One of my 2012 goals is to read two books a month.

My first read for 2012 is a great motivational book, "Get Off Your "But": How to End Self-Sabotage and Stand Up for Yourself" - here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Off-Your-But-Self-Sabotage/dp/0470399937/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326227855&sr=1-1
Chuck:
Two books a month is a worthy goal, and one that is well within the reach of the average individual.  The book you listed seems interesting.  For some reason it reminded me of one on my own list to read:

In current rotation:  Agatha Christie's "Murder at the Vicarage", and "the Innovator's Cookbook" by Steven Johnson.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

THE VICTORS by Stephen E. Ambrose has my attention right now.

Not to hijack but might be of some interest to all you readers out there click HERE

Well I thought it was neat anyway :doh
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

The Hotel Honolulu by Paul Thereaux.  He's a great author for creating memorable characters.  My only complaint is that the novel is too episodic, with each chapter it's own story.  I think that keeps me from being sucked in to a more evolving tale.

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on January 10, 2012, 07:20:29 PM
Not to hijack but might be of some interest to all you readers out there click HERE

Well I thought it was neat anyway :doh
That thing could put your eye out :ohmy:

Oh, let me also add to my list that I am now reading The Creative Writing Thread with break out new author of the year, unclrob.  We've got some good writers in our midst.

Quote from: ryler on January 10, 2012, 07:39:22 PM
Oh, let me also add to my list that I am now reading The Creative Writing Thread with break out new author of the year, unclrob.  We've got some good writers in our midst.
A bit non-heathen amen to that!

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl.  Was this recommended on this thread earlier at some point?  At any rate, excellent read.  Very thought provoking.

Human factors in the work place from various trade journals and sources necessary to the training program I must write and put into effect. It's a true Great Expectations experience and probably culminate somewhere short of my estimation of reward. But, as a technical writer it is my burden to eschew creative desire for the stoic deed. I wish I could feed myself off my imagination. What a wonderful concept.

I'm A Stranger Here Myself  by Bill Bryson.
2000 L-03-E
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud