Pages: 1 ... 46 [47] 48 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 309326 times)
KenHolden

Ignore
« Reply #920 on: February 08, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »

I'm a fan of Clive Cussler's work too. I'm trying to get through the series of his books, but it's going to take some time.  Ironically though, I hate boats, and seem to spend a bit of time reading about them. 

I haven't had the chance yet to read Keith Richards book, but I'm sure I can fit it in there somewhere.

Larrivee D-50 total sunburst
Larrivee D-03r
Gibson Custom Shop Advance Jumbo Gold
Gibson SG Classic
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull S6+GT
Art&Lutherie 12 String
Epiphone M-20 Mandolin
1960/61 Supro Lap Steel
Squier P-Bass
old folky

Ignore
« Reply #921 on: February 09, 2011, 12:04:13 PM »

I'm a fan of Clive Cussler's work too. I'm trying to get through the series of his books, but it's going to take some time.  Ironically though, I hate boats, and seem to spend a bit of time reading about them. 

I haven't had the chance yet to read Keith Richards book, but I'm sure I can fit it in there somewhere.

This one doesn't have any boats so far, though it has a lot of trains (or should I say the destruction of trains).  I don't think I've read any of his other books yet, but I probably will. 

'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos
Dr. LJ

Ignore
« Reply #922 on: February 09, 2011, 12:24:42 PM »

Just finished Life by Keith Richards and I am ready to start the new Tom Clancy.

LJ
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #923 on: February 09, 2011, 02:33:29 PM »

Gonna get Rumslelds "Known and Unknown" for my cruise reading.  Love him or hate him, that guys lived through a bunch of history.
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #924 on: February 09, 2011, 02:35:41 PM »

Gonna get Rumslelds "Known and Unknown" for my cruise reading.  Love him or hate him, that guys lived through a bunch of history.

Word.  (I have a soon to be teenager, if that explains my response.)
striped_blues

Ignore
« Reply #925 on: February 09, 2011, 05:17:58 PM »

ive been working on "house of leaves" for a very long time. its such a hard book to get through!
Tele

Ignore
« Reply #926 on: February 09, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »

I'm currently reading Shadow Divers Just finished "Empire of the Summer Moon". I read mostly non-fiction though.

Tele
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #927 on: February 18, 2011, 02:04:37 AM »

The Abolition of Man - C.S. Lewis 

It's a small collection of essays.  One page is taking me about 30 minutes to get through.  Lewis could really pack a lot into a few paragraphs.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #928 on: February 18, 2011, 02:38:05 AM »

I started Hemingway's "A farewell to arms", but I think I will give up on him. Too much muck for my tastes. I was considering Audie Murphy's "To Hell and back". I'll have to find a copy first.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
rikstar

Ignore
« Reply #929 on: February 18, 2011, 02:58:31 AM »

Currently reading "A Deeper Blue: The Life and Music of Townes Van Zandt" by Robert Earl Hardy.

Rick

2009 Larrivee L-10e
1999 Larrivee D-02e
2004 Ovation Elite T
2000 Yamaha SG 500B

"There’s only two kinds of music: the blues and zippity-doo-dah.”-Townes Van Zandt
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #930 on: February 18, 2011, 04:05:30 AM »

I started Hemingway's "A farewell to arms", but I think I will give up on him. Too much muck for my tastes. I was considering Audie Murphy's "To Hell and back". I'll have to find a copy first.
I hear you. Sometimes I'll pick up a book because it's considered classic or great, and after I get into it I start wondering why I'm reading it and who I'm trying to impress.  Then I get over myself and move on to the books I _want_ to read. Life's too short to read the wrong books.
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #931 on: February 23, 2011, 02:37:50 PM »

Couldn't agree more with the above.  I loved the first chapter of Moby Dick.  Thereafter it was pure suffering for me.  I put it down.  Now I'm reading The 42nd Parallel, part of the U.S.A trilogy by John Dos Passos.  Again, only on the first chapter and I think it's outstanding.  Let's see if Dos Passos can get me to chapter two more eagerly than Melville.
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #932 on: February 23, 2011, 02:55:13 PM »

it took me three attempts to conquer Moby-Dick, but well worth it. (hence my name here, "Queequeg" the S Pacific headhunter and lead harpooneer in this Herman Melville classic).
Right now I'm reading Can't Buy Me Love: The Beatles, Britain, and America by Jonathan Gould. More than simply a fan book. Great history of the 50s and 60s in Britain and here in the states. The bigger picture of what was going on in those times, politically and otherwise which allowed for such a phenomenal pop explosion.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #933 on: February 23, 2011, 03:00:06 PM »

A little OT, but it has to do with books.  Went to our local Borders last night.  Going out of business...liquidation sale.  Tons of folks there buying "close-out sale" books at 20% off.  Too funny...before the sale those same books were marked 30% off, and at Borders on line they're 46% off.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #934 on: February 23, 2011, 04:16:06 PM »

A little OT, but it has to do with books.  Went to our local Borders last night.  Going out of business...liquidation sale.  Tons of folks there buying "close-out sale" books at 20% off.  Too funny...before the sale those same books were marked 30% off, and at Borders on line they're 46% off.
  Yup, really some dumb buyers in America.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #935 on: February 23, 2011, 04:43:53 PM »

Borders is headquartered in my little home town of Ann Arbor, MI. Tom Border sold the business quite a while ago. So we've had lots of Borders layoffs here in the last year or so and they have accelerated recently as you might imagine. They missed the boat from a marketing strategy several times in the last few years and they haven't had a mission of any kind for quite a while now. They even ventured into teddy bear sales of some sort a few months back. How's that for inspiration? er, I mean desperation. They have one of the worst websites on the internet. Amazon simply kicked their a$$ every which way.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #936 on: February 23, 2011, 05:04:13 PM »

Borders is headquartered in my little home town of Ann Arbor, MI. Tom Border sold the business quite a while ago. So we've had lots of Borders layoffs here in the last year or so and they have accelerated recently as you might imagine. They missed the boat from a marketing strategy several times in the last few years and they haven't had a mission of any kind for quite a while now. They even ventured into teddy bear sales of some sort a few months back. How's that for inspiration? er, I mean desperation. They have one of the worst websites on the internet. Amazon simply kicked their a$$ every which way.

I think all booksellers are getting their bums kicked.  Why buy a book when you can download it for a couple of bucks.  Look at blockbuster and hollywood video...netflix made them dinosaurs.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #937 on: February 23, 2011, 09:37:17 PM »

Too bad about Borders.  I went there at Christmas to get some gifts and enjoyed it. 

I read Moby Dick a few years ago.  It was sheer drudgery and I'll probably never read it again.  I'll admit that I did it just to say that I'd read it.  The crap we sometimes do to try and look smart. . .
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #938 on: February 23, 2011, 09:47:25 PM »

Too bad about Borders.  I went there at Christmas to get some gifts and enjoyed it. 

I read Moby Dick a few years ago.  It was sheer drudgery and I'll probably never read it again.  I'll admit that I did it just to say that I'd read it.  The crap we sometimes do to try and look smart. . .
My reason for reading it was because I was living in the West Indies (Eastern Caribbean) at the time, and have a strong interest in whales which were prevalent in the area.
If I wanted to look smart, I would lose 30 pounds.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #939 on: February 23, 2011, 11:10:08 PM »

My reason for reading it was because I was living in the West Indies (Eastern Caribbean) at the time, and have a strong interest in whales which were prevalent in the area.
If I wanted to look smart, I would lose 30 pounds.
There are/were/have been quite a few smart fat folk.
This fellow comes to mind:
Pages: 1 ... 46 [47] 48 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: