Pages: 1 ... 39 [40] 41 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 309082 times)
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #780 on: May 03, 2010, 03:17:06 AM »

Old Yeller by Fred Gipson
SteveD216

Ignore
« Reply #781 on: May 03, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »

Scent of the Missing - Love and Partnership with a Search and Rescue Dog by Susannah Charleson.

GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #782 on: May 03, 2010, 06:51:34 PM »

The Last American Man by Elizabeth Gilbert
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #783 on: May 03, 2010, 11:07:42 PM »

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."  From "The Art of War" by Sun-Tzu written in the 6th century. 

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
Corky

Ignore
« Reply #784 on: May 04, 2010, 12:20:24 AM »

Just finish rereading My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok.  Hadn't read it in about 20 years and downloaded it for my Kindle.  A tremendous story.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #785 on: May 04, 2010, 01:33:39 AM »

Just finish rereading My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok.  Hadn't read it in about 20 years and downloaded it for my Kindle.  A tremendous story.
I've been wanting to read this one for a while. 
Corky

Ignore
« Reply #786 on: May 04, 2010, 03:59:28 AM »

I've been wanting to read this one for a while. 

It is great and I think most folks in the arts will get a great deal out of it.  Gives interesting insight into Jewish culture in twentieth century America also, useful for guys like Gentile me!   
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #787 on: May 04, 2010, 11:36:29 AM »

It is great and I think most folks in the arts will get a great deal out of it.  Gives interesting insight into Jewish culture in twentieth century America also, useful for guys like Gentile me!   
It seems like a great story from what I've heard.  And the name intrigues me (I've got a son named Asher). 
cke
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #788 on: May 06, 2010, 05:51:15 PM »

"The Great Emergence" by Phyllis Tickle

Chris
Larrivee's '07  L-09 (40th Commemorative); '09 00-03 S.E; '08 P-09
Eastman '07 AC 650-12 Jumbo (NAMM)
Martin   '11 D Mahogany (FSC Golden Era type)
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
ryler
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #789 on: May 06, 2010, 07:56:37 PM »

Crossing To Safety by Wallace Stegner.  Great book.  Symbolism-infused in a manner that was overt enough to be gettable and subtle enough to missable if you don't look for that kind of stuff.  Thanks for the My Name is Asher Lev recommendation.  I'd like to check that one out now.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #790 on: May 06, 2010, 09:07:24 PM »

"reading people" by Jo-Ellan Dimitrius, Ph.D. & Mark Mazzarella.

(and about four others)

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #791 on: May 07, 2010, 02:14:52 PM »

The Richest Man In Babylon by George Clason

I read this one about 7 or 8 years ago when I was laid off.  Thought it might light a fire of some kind.  I was impacted by many of the principles, but I don't think I was ready for it yet.  I'm paying closer attention now. 
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #792 on: May 07, 2010, 03:06:45 PM »

Wild Ducks Flying Backwards by Tom Robbins...it's a collection of short stories.
Dr.Lee

Ignore
« Reply #793 on: May 09, 2010, 10:41:15 PM »

Pictures of an Exhibitionist-  the autobiography of Keith Emerson, perhaps the greatest keyboard player in the rock era, IMHO bowdown

Dr.

2006 Larrivee 00-60
2014 Recording King RD-310
2016 Corboba C7 Cedar/Rosewood

"Character is what you are in the dark"
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #794 on: May 10, 2010, 12:22:58 AM »

'Bound for Glory' ~ Woody Guthrie

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #795 on: May 18, 2010, 11:34:11 AM »

Just got done with The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  I haven't enjoyed a read that much in a very long time.  It was my first go round with it.  Fitzgerald's use of words was awe-inspiring at times.  It hit me like Steinbeck, and that doesn't happen very often.  Highly recommend reading it, especially if it's lingered on your reading list for years like it had mine.  Excellent stuff!
GA-ME
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #796 on: May 18, 2010, 11:42:53 AM »

Just got done with The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  I haven't enjoyed a read that much in a very long time.  It was my first go round with it.  Fitzgerald's use of words was awe-inspiring at times.  It hit me like Steinbeck, and that doesn't happen very often.  Highly recommend reading it, especially if it's lingered on your reading list for years like it had mine.  Excellent stuff!

Creature, if you enjoyed Gatsby, give a go at Tender is the Night, which is next in the F. Scott catalogue.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #797 on: May 18, 2010, 12:16:51 PM »

This is one of five or so books I have sitting out, ready to get to when I finish others. I have read it once and was impressed with it as well.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #798 on: May 18, 2010, 12:40:05 PM »

Over the weekend, I read Still Inside: The Tony Rice Story.  It's billed as being by Tim Stafford and Caroline Wright, but as far as I can tell Wright did most of the writing, with contributions by Stafford on the subjects of Tony's instruments and technique.  I've read lots of music bios and not all of them are well-written or well-edited, but this one is both, and it's highly readable.  It's constructed in the "oral history" format: each chapter starts with a long section based on interviews with Rice himself, and then it doubles back with oral reflections by Rice's friends, family and colleagues.  It's very well-done, and definitely worth reading if you have any interest in Rice.

It's available from the "Mercantile" section on the Flatpicking Guitar Magazine website.  It arrived about a week after I ordered it, which is very good for cross-border delivery.  Here's the link:

Link

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #799 on: May 18, 2010, 02:05:28 PM »

Creature, if you enjoyed Gatsby, give a go at Tender is the Night, which is next in the F. Scott catalogue.
On the list now.  Thanks for the recommendation.  I read his Bejamin Button a couple years ago and liked but didn't love it.  So I wasn't even sure what to think of Gatsby; I just knew I wanted to read it.  I've got some Ray Bradbury books I want to read as well.  So many books... only one lifetime. . .

Pages: 1 ... 39 [40] 41 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: