books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Realms of Gold, Margaret Drabble.  Like it quite well so far.
Stories, Anton Chekhov  translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, my very favorite Russian lit translators.  Through his pen, a story is so much more than the plot.

By the way, I disliked That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo.  I thought he was bank-on-able entertainment, but for me he missed the mark for me with this one.

NOTICE
                                  Persons attempting to find motive in
                                this narrative will be prosecuted; persons
                                   attempting to find moral in it will be
                                 banished; persons attempting to find a
                                            plot in it will be shot.

By Order Of The Author
                                                                            per G.G., Chief of Ordnance

So I picked up this book from our table of old hard bounds we had dug out and looked at the chapters and remembered the story and how much I treasured this book as a young boy. I think I have read it a few times in my life (at least).
  Anyway I made the mistake of reading the NOTICE page. Which is the first page of the book. And before I knew it I was climbing out the window with Huckleberry Finn to meet up with Tom Sawyer in the middle of the night.

Oh well, it may do me some good to read this public school banded book again. :blush:

At the same time as the above mentioned book I'm reading this one. (same author)

[attachment deleted by admin]

The Principles of Morals and Legislation by Jeremy Bentham

Just got done with another Ann Rule book, "But I trusted You".  She is a very good writer if you like true crime stories.  Started a Steven King book called "Just After Sunset".  It's a book of short stories.  Good reading so far.

Old Folky
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

Two books that I have read recently....

In the Company of Heros by C.W.O. Michael J. Durant (based on his experience being shot down in Mog. "Blackhawk Down" is incredible

The Bloody Red Hand: A Journey through Truth, Myth, and Terror in Northern Ireland by Derek Lundy

Both are great books!
1993 - Larrivee D-60 Rosewood w/ Bband A1 / ust
a good way to start my Larrivee collection!

Celebrate we will Because life is short but sweet for certain

Quote from: jimi thing on February 25, 2010, 11:19:01 AM

In the Company of Heros by C.W.O. Michael J. Durant (based on his experience being shot down in Mog. "Blackhawk Down" is incredible

The Bloody Red Hand: A Journey through Truth, Myth, and Terror in Northern Ireland by Derek Lundy

Both are great books!
I just watched "Blackhawk Down" again a few nights ago. I think I'll check out the book by C.W.O. Michael J. Durant also.  Thanks

Blinded by Travis Thrasher.  This guy writes good fiction, and I enjoy his books as a form of brain candy every now and then.  Real page-turners that make you lose sleep.  They move along fast and the characters tend to be memorable.   I really like his book The Second Thief as well. 

The Snakebite Letters by Peter Kreeft.  This is basically Kreeft's version of The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.  Pretty good so far, though I've spotted some grammitical errors, which irritates me in published works, especially from scolars who should know better (or at least should hire better editors). 

Actually I'm reading a book not by Twain, but about him, Mark Twain: Man in White. Great anecdotes about the last years of American lit's original superstar.

Quote from: leftync on February 28, 2010, 11:05:37 PM
Actually I'm reading a book not by Twain, but about him, Mark Twain: Man in White. Great anecdotes about the last years of American lit's original superstar.
"Mark Twain: Man in White. The Grand Adventure of His Final Years." Written by "Michael Shelden"
                  Another one for my list.   Thanks :donut

St. Francis of Assisi by G.K. Chesterton

Gordon

--
Larrivée D-03R
Alvarez AD-60K
Alvarez 5020SB
First Act Sheena LE003 (don't knock it, it's a handmade, insanely good axe)
Schecter C7

Quote from: jimi thing on February 25, 2010, 11:19:01 AM

Both are great books!
I have been thinking about "In the Company Of Heroes" since I saw this post so I went out and found a copy today. Samuel Clemens will wait on me to get back with him I'm sure. :winkin:

Just finished "The 25 year War, America's Military Role in Vietnam" by Gen Bruce Palmer.

A good inside view at the political/civilian and military high level decision making process that went into the Vietnam War. Written in 1984. Too bad some of our leadership didn't read this book before venturing out to save the world again.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Quote from: dependan on March 03, 2010, 09:05:38 PM
         I have been thinking about "In the Company Of Heroes" since I saw this post so I went out and found a copy today. Samuel Clemens will wait on me to get back with him I'm sure. :winkin:

Get going on it... you won't be able to put it down! albet, you have to get through the background stuff which can drag a bit.

Let me know what you think!

Quote from: jimi thing on March 04, 2010, 02:45:46 PM
Get going on it... you won't be able to put it down! albet, you have to get through the background stuff which can drag a bit.

I already started. I have read everything on the pages even before the book begins. I have always been deeply saddened and yet also full of pride (for lack of a better word) regarding the sacrifices made by Delta force members and the Rangers. Nothing has dragged for me about this story.
               Thanks again for the post initially.  :donut

We've got some highly literate folks here. I'm proud to be a member of this forum. Started a new one, The Lincolns, about Lincoln's marriage. Amazingly detailed. As you can tell, I'm strictly about non-fiction. Probably comes from being a reporter all those years.

Sawed through Where The Red Fern Grows last week.  Man, what a great read.  I hadn't enjoyed a book that much in a long time. 

I'm about to read Sky Blue by Travis Thrasher.  More fast-moving, brain candy type literature.  I guess I'm in the mood for it. 

I'm going to start The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens this week as well. 

Quote from: jimi thing on March 04, 2010, 02:45:46 PM

"In the Company of Heroes" by C.W.O. Michael J. Durant.
        I actually finished this in the wee hours of the morning on Monday. I couldn't sleep Sunday night so I started on the last four chapters.

When I started on the last two chapters the tears also started and would not stop until sometime after finishing this book. Parts of it do drag, but only a little. And I realized in those last two chapters why all the details were laid out as they had been. Had I not read everything from the begining and if i would have skipped ahead it would not have been the same.

I am not a "weeping man". This story is real though and the men become part of your heart as you carefully read through each page. I had to stop and wipe my eyes many times in the last two chapters to see the pages.

Then I carefully read all the quotes from Ross Perot and others on the front and back pages and read the beginning pages again. I have been impacted deeply by this book, not just by the sacrifices made, (which were many) but by the strength and courage displayed by the men and their wives back at home. The lady from the red cross who came to visit Durant at the risk of her own life while he was in captivity.

And maybe most of all by Durant's humility, perception, and change of heart after release (towards the Creator).

I cannot end this without mentioning the two brave men who "asked" to be dropped into the area of his crash site to defend Michael Durant and his crew as long as they had ammunition. They knew they would die, there is no doubt regarding that. But in the end they saved C.W.O. Durant's life. These were the best of the best, Delta operators.

Randy Shughart and Gary Gordan
                                Awarded the Medal of Honor
                                        posthumously

If anyone would like my copy to read I'll send it to you. And then you can pass it on.

Quote from: dependan on March 25, 2010, 09:20:49 AM
                                  "In the Company of Heroes" by C.W.O. Michael J. Durant.
       I actually finished this in the wee hours of the morning on Monday. I couldn't sleep Sunday night so I started on the last four chapters.

When I started on the last two chapters the tears also started and would not stop until sometime after finishing this book. Parts of it do drag, but only a little. And I realized in those last two chapters why all the details were laid out as they had been. Had I not read everything from the begining and if i would have skipped ahead it would not have been the same.

I am not a "weeping man". This story is real though and the men become part of your heart as you carefully read through each page. I had to stop and wipe my eyes many times in the last two chapters to see the pages.

Then I carefully read all the quotes from Ross Perot and others on the front and back pages and read the beginning pages again. I have been impacted deeply by this book, not just by the sacrifices made, (which were many) but by the strength and courage displayed by the men and their wives back at home. The lady from the red cross who came to visit Durant at the risk of her own life while he was in captivity.

And maybe most of all by Durant's humility, perception, and change of heart after release (towards the Creator).

I cannot end this without mentioning the two brave men who "asked" to be dropped into the area of his crash site to defend Michael Durant and his crew as long as they had ammunition. They knew they would die, there is no doubt regarding that. But in the end they saved C.W.O. Durant's life. These were the best of the best, Delta operators.

Randy Shughart and Gary Gordan
                               Awarded the Medal of Honor
                                       posthumously

If anyone would like my copy to read I'll send it to you. And then you can pass it on.

i had the same response and pick this book up from time to time....

these men are the true meaning of courage and heroes!
I am glad the book left an imprint!