books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Strings4Him on November 14, 2009, 05:07:56 PM
It is very encouraging to see people who still enjoy the printed page, both digitally and otherwise.  I am also encouraged to see many who enjoy the Bible.  The grass withers and the flower fades, but the Word of God endures forever.  Press on brothers (and sisters).
I've got two chapters left in Luke, then on to John.

I'm still on a poetry kick, but have been in the Bible pretty heavily as well. I read The Book of Job last week, as well as Ecclesiastes a couple times; I am now continuing in the Book of Psalms. I think there are a few of the Psalms I've never actually read, and many more that I've not read in years. It's a huge book with lots of ground to cover. I've not read as many books this year as I had hoped, but I still managed to fit in 40 or so. But the rest of the year isn't looking good. There just wasn't the time.

I'm reading a book about another "god"...
Johnny Cash's autobiography.

He was a very religious man, and wrote a religious novel about St.Paul called "The Man in White"...anyone read that?
Three Larries and a Guild and an A&L...and electrics...and a mando

"Your lack of technique can be part of your style. The thing about style is that it's more entertaining, more important and hopefully more intellectual than technique."
Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

I just opened up my birthday present from my son and daughter-in-law: Three books from Amazon:

Horse Soldiers by Doug Stanton - True story about a small band of Special Forces Soldiers who entered Afghanistan after 9/11

Where Men Win Glory, The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Kraukauer - True story of Pat Tillman who walked away from the NFL to join the Army.

Forrest Gump by Winston Groom 

This should keep me busy until Valentine's Day.

The Shack.  Any one else read this one?
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quote from: Trinity Guitars on November 20, 2009, 06:11:39 AM
The Shack.  Any one else read this one?

Jim, although this book has been on the best-seller list and has gotten tons of hype I couldn't get more than halfway through it.  It's one of a very few books I just gave up on.    I don't know why it's gotten so many rave reviews.  Must be something I just didn't get.  I take it that you are enjoying it ?

Ringworld Engineers by Larry Niven
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

:laughin: :laughin: :laughin: :bgrin:

Thats funny Dave...I've been on a SciFi kick myself lately....I've gotten caught up in the Series of novels and Short stories about a futuristic mercenary armor unit called Hammer's Slammers by David Drake.  They have recently condensed all the novels and short stories into 3 volumes....currently chewing through vol.2.  I picked up the first one when I was flying home to Ohio to visit my folks....it looked cheesy and like something that would fill some time but I wasn't expecting much....it took a little while to get into but now I'm hooked and can't wait to get the 3rd volume too.

Cheers,

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

"My Wicked Wicked Ways" Errol  Flynn's (ghost written) autobiography...

Quite a tale/s and definitely not a guy to leave your wife, or anything else you had of value alone with   :cop:

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa

I've got two going right now:

Mark Twain's Autobiography

&

Woodsgons 2 by Michael Johnathon.

I really loved Woodsongs (the first book) and am enjoying this one as well. The guy is a great story-teller and I tend to appreciate his views on creativity. But... his books are packed with grammatical errors, which really, really bothers me. I think that if anything is worth being taken to print, it's worth a good editing job. That may seem petty but it genuinely bugs me. I think the least an author can do is get his grammar correct, for credibility's sake.

Quote from: the creature on December 09, 2009, 09:09:03 AM
I've got two going right now:

Mark Twain's Autobiography

&

Woodsgons 2 by Michael Johnathon.

I really loved Woodsongs (the first book) and am enjoying this one as well. The guy is a great story-teller and I tend to appreciate his views on creativity. But... his books are packed with grammatical errors, which really, really bothers me. I think that if anything is worth being taken to print, it's worth a good editing job. That may seem petty but it genuinely bugs me.
"Roughing it" is also a Twain autobiography that I enjoyed immensely.

I just finished reading "On Celtic Tides" by Chris Duff.  It's about his solo circumnavigation of Ireland by sea kayak.  Really good read if you like travel/adventure stories. 

I just started another book by Chris Duff called "Southern Exposure" which is about his trip around the south island of New Zealand by kayak.  This book also has a few pictures with it as well and illustrated maps.  Its caught my attention and Chris is also a good writer.
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Quote from: dberch on November 20, 2009, 10:38:18 AM
Ringworld Engineers by Larry Niven

I read that soo long ago. One of my favorites.  I should reread it.

I just finished "So Brave, Young, and Handsome" by Lief Enger - what a great writer!  His style in this book is so colorful and down to earth.  Anybody else read this?

I just started Neil Stephenson's "Anathem".

Quote from: Bug on December 10, 2009, 04:02:07 AM

I just finished "So Brave, Young, and Handsome" by Lief Enger - what a great writer!  His style in this book is so colorful and down to earth.  Anybody else read this?

Bug, I haven't started So Brave, Young and Handsome yet, but Leif Enger really stunned me with Peace Like a River.  I am anxious to read this second novel.  Glad to hear that you liked it.

I'm in the middle of El Viajero del Siglo by Andres Neumann.  It's written in Spanish so I usually read those novels much more slowly than English.  I'll be reading this for awhile.  On deck?  Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon.  I've read many a review alternating between adoration for the book and disgust for its impenetrable style.  We'll see.

John Piper (an author and speaker that I admire) recommended Peace Like A River. It's on my list. Eventually...

Well, I'm 5 years late, but just read The dVinci Code. A good read and a few differences from the movie.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I've read "Peace Like a River" twice. The second time was out loud to my family when we were on a long car trip.  Everyone really enjoyed that (me especially).

Bug

Quote from: Bug on December 11, 2009, 04:40:55 PM
I've read "Peace Like a River" twice. The second time was out loud to my family when we were on a long car trip.  Everyone really enjoyed that (me especially).

Bug
I'm going to make it a point to get to this one in 2010.

Citizen Soldiers,      Stephen E. Ambrose.  

Basically the book they based the series "Band of Brothers" on.

Reading a memoir called The Glass Castle which I find remarkable -- the grace and love with which the narrator writes about what, from on outsider's perspective, was a horrific childhood is astonishing.  Also, rereading Yann Martel's Life of Pi . . . sort of a Christmas tradition with me.  It's hard to find quality literature that isn't' laden with cynicism and irony (which at other times of the year I can appreciate), but Martel's novel operates without either, and is brilliant.
". . . if I only had a brain . . ."