Pages: 1 ... 33 [34] 35 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 325174 times)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #660 on: August 26, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »

The title intrigued me, so I googled... I'm not finding much about this book, but it does sound very interesting. Would you care to give a bit more info and a somewhat general review?
              This is a Memoir of life in the Sabinal river canyon area of the Texas hill country. Specifically around Utopia from a little before the great depression through the sixties I believe.
   I love the the language and the culture revealed in it.
                Chapters are:
   Summer Kin
   The thrashers coming
   Play and pastime
   Oldtime religion
   Remedies and cures
   I remember father
   This is canyon country
   Christmas gift
   I heard a fella say
   School days
   "I love you little"

Life in rural Texas among a loving family. A large family with everyone pitching in to do there part. It is written well and draws you in to a time long gone now. I have many memories that relate to things she writes about. Of course I am 30 years younger and grew up in rural Missouri, but rural farm life has similarities in all cultures I suppose.
               We are here in Utopia to escape the big city ''chaos" a few days and to discover this book, begin reading it and realize a few chapters into it that it is a memoir of life right here 70 years ago or so makes being here even a little more relaxing.
                I asked a few people about the book and though it was out of print they had some reprints done a few years ago. In fact I found one in town a few hours ago.
                I hope this helps. It is a good book and my review probably does not do it justice.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #661 on: August 26, 2009, 08:21:42 PM »

This is a Memoir of life in the Sabinal river canyon area of the Texas hill country. Specifically around Utopia from a little before the great depression through the sixties I believe.
   I love the the language and the culture revealed in it.
                Chapters are:
   Summer Kin
   The thrashers coming
   Play and pastime
   Oldtime religion
   Remedies and cures
   I remember father
   This is canyon country
   Christmas gift
   I heard a fella say
   School days
   "I love you little"

Life in rural Texas among a loving family. A large family with everyone pitching in to do there part. It is written well and draws you in to a time long gone now. I have many memories that relate to things she writes about. Of course I am 30 years younger and grew up in rural Missouri, but rural farm life has similarities in all cultures I suppose.
               We are here in Utopia to escape the big city ''chaos" a few days and to discover this book, begin reading it and realize a few chapters into it that it is a memoir of life right here 70 years ago or so makes being here even a little more relaxing.
                I asked a few people about the book and though it was out of print they had some reprints done a few years ago. In fact I found one in town a few hours ago.
                I hope this helps. It is a good book and my review probably does not do it justice.
Wow, that does help. I live in Texas myself, so now I'm double interested. Thanks.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #662 on: August 26, 2009, 08:32:49 PM »

Wow, that does help. I live in Texas myself, so now I'm double interested. Thanks.
  We are going back into town now to get some groceries and grille some steaks. So I am going to stop and buy that new copy I saw at another shop. I will make it available to you. I know your love of books and would like to send this one to you.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #663 on: August 27, 2009, 12:14:53 AM »

We are going back into town now to get some groceries and grille some steaks. So I am going to stop and buy that new copy I saw at another shop. I will make it available to you. I know your love of books and would like to send this one to you.
Wow, Dan, that would be great. Let me know how much it is and we'll go from there. Very thoughtful of you!
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #664 on: August 27, 2009, 02:39:30 AM »

Wow, Dan, that would be great. Let me know how much it is and we'll go from there. Very thoughtful of you!
  Well I got the copy. The store owner said it was the last one she knew of from the reprint in 2002. It is also signed by the Author. I would rather keep the old one that I found at the resale shop so you can have the new copy. It's only $10. I checked online before finding this one and they were 19 to 25 for the old copies. Anyway PM me and I'll UPS it your way.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
ianc

Ignore
« Reply #665 on: August 27, 2009, 01:01:15 PM »

I have just finished reading a book by a Scottish comedian,named Billy Connolly titled  Journey to the Edge of the World. Billy takes you on a 10 week trip across Canada from the Atlantic to the Pacific,via the Northwest Passage.
He tells you the history of the  North West Passage,and his encounters with the natives on route.I usually don't read travel books,but I found this one very interesting (as I knew nothing about the passage's history).

If you want to read a good travel adventure then I would recommend this book,it is also quite funny.
In the book they say a DVD is coming out,but I have been unable to find it.  The photos in the book are very picturesque

Ian
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #666 on: August 27, 2009, 02:09:18 PM »

Well I got the copy. The store owner said it was the last one she knew of from the reprint in 2002. It is also signed by the Author. I would rather keep the old one that I found at the resale shop so you can have the new copy. It's only $10. I checked online before finding this one and they were 19 to 25 for the old copies. Anyway PM me and I'll UPS it your way.

PM sent.

LawDogStrgsAttach
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #667 on: August 30, 2009, 02:58:25 AM »

Shop Class as Soul Craft -Matthew Crawford
The Theology of John Calvin - Karl Barth

McIlroy AJ30 Sitka/East Indian Rosewood
Petros Walnut Creek Grand Concert
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #668 on: August 31, 2009, 02:54:36 AM »

Well I just finished ''Gone are the days." I would like it to have more chapters and not have ended so soon. As it was I slowed down my reading of it because it was easy to just stay in that simpler time and enjoy the families and characters that came through the pages in such a vividly real way.
    I think I'll have to find some more memoirs of a simpler time to help me remember my own roots and the noble men and women from the farms of rural America. Anyway it was a good read.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
hatofthecat

Ignore
« Reply #669 on: September 03, 2009, 12:05:13 PM »

I have just finished reading a book by a Scottish comedian,named Billy Connolly titled  Journey to the Edge of the World. Billy takes you on a 10 week trip across Canada from the Atlantic to the Pacific,via the Northwest Passage.
He tells you the history of the  North West Passage,and his encounters with the natives on route.I usually don't read travel books,but I found this one very interesting (as I knew nothing about the passage's history).

If you want to read a good travel adventure then I would recommend this book,it is also quite funny.
In the book they say a DVD is coming out,but I have been unable to find it.  The photos in the book are very picturesque

Ian

DVD came out last year in UK and Australia but I don't think North America (as it was not a BBC series I guess).  Its on Amazon UK if you have a DVD player that can read Region 2 discs. Alternatively search on Youtube for "billy connolly edge of world".... its all there I think.

Billy is a Scottish gem.  I used to have cassette tapes of his stand up shows in my car.  Great way to pass the time on long winter journeys home. "marchin' through the heeeeeeeee-eeeeeather..."  

Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa
ianc

Ignore
« Reply #670 on: September 11, 2009, 02:32:22 PM »

I have just finished reading a book by David Baldacci, The Whole Truth. It is a political thriller, and once you start you will not put it down.
This is the 2nd book,I have read by this author in 3 weeks. The other book was The Camel Club. The author has written 14 books,and I plan on reading his other works.
I have just discovered this author but he is a best selling writer.

Ian
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #671 on: September 11, 2009, 03:19:03 PM »

Been on a reading binge lately.   Just finished "That Old Cape Magic" by one of my favorite authors, Richard Russo.

In the process of reading "Travels With Charley" by Steinbeck.   Spent a little time on Cannery Row in Monterey last weekend and kinda re-connected with the Steinbeck vibe.    My goal for the immediate future is to read or re-read the entire Steinbeck catalog.   Travels with Charley is a great travelogue from the early 60's.   To read his commentary about urban growth and the wasting of natural resources 40-some years after he wrote this is pretty sobering.  We haven't come very far it seems.
Up next:  Cannery Row, East of Eden, etc.
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #672 on: September 11, 2009, 03:45:48 PM »

Been on a reading binge lately.   Just finished "That Old Cape Magic" by one of my favorite authors, Richard Russo.

In the process of reading "Travels With Charley" by Steinbeck.   Spent a little time on Cannery Row in Monterey last weekend and kinda re-connected with the Steinbeck vibe.    My goal for the immediate future is to read or re-read the entire Steinbeck catalog.   Travels with Charley is a great travelogue from the early 60's.   To read his commentary about urban growth and the wasting of natural resources 40-some years after he wrote this is pretty sobering.  We haven't come very far it seems.
Up next:  Cannery Row, East of Eden, etc.
  My wife read "Travels with Charley" and would comment to me about the humorous passages. I may read that one soon myself. (I'm a bit afraid of it stirring up the wanderer in me though.)

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #673 on: September 11, 2009, 05:20:17 PM »

My wife read "Travels with Charley" and would comment to me about the humorous passages. I may read that one soon myself. (I'm a bit afraid of it stirring up the wanderer in me though.)

Danny
I know what you mean.  It kinda stirred the urge to set out on a cross-country trip myself.   Just like when I read Kerouac's "On the Road".   I don't know whether I'd want to do it with only my dog for companionship though.  Might get pretty lonely.  Unless, of course, it was a special dog like Charley who was born outside Paris and barked with a French accent.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #674 on: September 11, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »

I'm about to start 'The Good Earth' by Pearl S. Buck.

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #675 on: September 11, 2009, 07:44:49 PM »

Travels With Charley is one of my favorite books, and if it weren't for East of Eden it would be my favorite Steinbeck work. If you like a good "hit the road" book, take a look at Through Painted Deserts by Donald Miller (I think it might have been published under a different name originally). He and a buddy hit the road during the 90s and had some amazing adventures. I don't like Miller's theological books, but I really enjoyed this one and can highly recommend it.

I just finished up Gone Are the Days by Annalee Burns (thanks to dependan) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I want to post a review of it but I've been short on online time of late. I'll try to get to it soon. I will say though that it was one of the most enjoyable books I've read all year. I'll be rereading it, along with Michael Johnathon's Woodsongs next year (another one I highly recommend).

Right now I'm reading The Diary of Anne Frank.
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #676 on: September 11, 2009, 07:52:12 PM »

WOW, This topic is 3 years old   ohmy
It has been here ever since I became a member.

I never looked at it before.
Today, curiosity finally caused me to find out
WHO started this topic that has lasted so long...
and
WHAT did they say?

I found it was by THE CREATURE and the original post was
just finished:
man in the mirror - patrick morley

currently reading:
velvet elvis - rob bell
bible - various authors

about to read:
the grace awakening - chuck swindoll
pilgrim's progress - john bunyon
bible - various authors

- that really got my interest so I'll post another reply to explain why,
and what I'm currently reading.

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Larrivee OOO-60 - Lady Rose
Pavan TP-30 classical - nylon
Takamine 132s classical -nylon
former Larrivees  L-03R  SD-50
lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #677 on: September 11, 2009, 08:02:39 PM »

As I scanned thru some of the pages,
my first surprise was at how many people were posting to it
that I don't see anymore.

My second surprise was that the creature mentioned

currently reading:

bible - various authors

about to read:
the grace awakening - chuck swindoll
pilgrim's progress - john bunyon
bible - various authors

and as I looked thru some of the hundreds of responses
I saw very little comment about these books or anyone else
currently reading one of them, especially the Bible.

The Bible was the FIRST book printed and has been the MOST printed book
and is extremely popular in sales today.

Why so few comments about it, especially since The Creature made references to it ?

I'll respond specifically to the Bible in his list and my reading of it in my next post.

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #678 on: September 11, 2009, 08:16:22 PM »

As those of you who know me by my posts are aware,
I ask lots of questions to educate myself.

After surviving my teenage years in the 60s, living in dysfunctional family groups and finally going through
a divorce that almost killed me.
I started asking questions.
Who am I, what's the meaning of my life, will I ever be happy, what's the use of living........is there a God ?

At that time I hated the Christian church and wanted nothing to do with the Bible etc....

There were lots of places to be searched for such answers: mind altering drugs, alcohol, women,
transcendental meditation, major religions of the world.

Each search into those areas left me without answers.

You guys know how I am about keeping at it until I get answers  bigrin

After a detailed study of all the major religions of the world and finding no answers,
I was at a frustrating point of giving up.

Then I did what I never thought I would do - I decided to explore Christianity.
Not by going to church - what a revolting thought that was to me.
I knew the Bible was the Christian's book.
I decided to read it.

If you are interested, read my next post, if not skip it -
I'll explain why I rejected what I was reading in the Bible.

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

lw216316
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #679 on: September 11, 2009, 08:38:28 PM »

continuation- what happened when I decided to look for answers in the Bible.

I began to read the Bible while living my usual lifestyle  (not worth mentioning).

Like any other book I started at page 1 and intended to read all of it.
I did not like what I was reading. I had a red pen and put question marks
beside all the parts I disagreed with - and there were many !

This went on for months. Then about 1/3 of the way through the book,
my criticism eased up and the frequency of the red question marks slowed down.

I was reading the writings of a King (David) who went through severe problems.
Like some song writers in our times often do,
he put his emotions and experiences down in songs.

I related to the guy and the misery I had experienced and was still going through.
This song writer poured out his heart in his songs -
and as I listened to them they touched my heart - just like good songs do today to me.

He had my attention and the red pen lay unused.
Then David told of how his questions and needs were answered.

He convinced me with his songs.

That was in 1974. I finished reading the rest of the book -
then I read it again-...and again...and again - non stop over the years.

So, to answer your question, Mr Creature

I just finished reading the Book you listed.
I'm currently reading the Book you listed....
and the next book I plan to read is the Book you listed  bigrin bigrin bigrin

Although I'm just now beginning to understand it after all these years (the Guy who wrote it is infinitely intelligent) -
(and I have a very finite mind...)
the author enlisted me as one of the teachers of His book.

- that's my story and I'm stickin' to it 

- Larry

PLAY SONG , LIVE LONG !

Pages: 1 ... 33 [34] 35 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: