books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

True... it is a big one. But I think when I do get to it I'll read it via audiobook. It might still take 6 months worth of drivetime though.

OpenGL Programming Guide (aka "The Red Book"), 7th Edition.  Just released!   :humour:
Gary - RS-4 (for sale), Bourgeois VOM

I picked up the audio CD set of :"Mornings on Horseback" by David McCullough which traces Theodore Roosevelt's life from birth through his presidency.

He wrote his own speeches, commentary and books and personally replied to letters he received. After he lost the support of the Republican Party and formed the Bull Moose Party to run as a Presidential Candidate. He was actually shot in the chest in Wisconsin on his way into a campaign stop. The bullet hit his spectacles (glass) case and the folded over copy of the speech in his coat pocket and penetrated 3 inches into his chest. He delivered the speech with a gunshot wound and after his remarks, he went to the hospital and they decided to leave the bullet because they thought it would be more dangerous to try to remove it.

Quote from: teh on August 14, 2009, 05:19:24 PM
I picked up the audio CD set of :"Mornings on Horseback" by David McCullough which traces Theodore Roosevelt's life from birth through his presidency.

He wrote his own speeches, commentary and books and personally replied to letters he received. After he lost the support of the Republican Party and formed the Bull Moose Party to run as a Presidential Candidate. He was actually shot in the chest in Wisconsin on his way into a campaign stop. The bullet hit his spectacles (glass) case and the folded over copy of the speech in his coat pocket and penetrated 3 inches into his chest. He delivered the speech with a gunshot wound and after his remarks, he went to the hospital and they decided to leave the bullet because they thought it would be more dangerous to try to remove it.
That's an amazing piece of history. I might have to see if my local library has this one on audio CD. I read McCullough's 1776 last year and enjoyed it very much.

Just for fun, Robin Cook's new one, "Foreign Body". An easy read & fun while I'm waiting for others to come back to the library! Not as deep as most of these others, but keeps me busy. It will be over real soon!
     Jeff   :guitar
'11 Martin OM18V Engelmann Custom
'11 Martin D-18 Adirondack Custom
'12 Martin MFG OM-35 Custom
'07 Larrivee OOO-60(Trinity Guitars)
'13 Larrivee OM-03 "Exotic"RW Custom(Oxnard C.S.)
'10 L.Canteri OO1JP Custom(IS/IT.WALNUT)

So it seems I have come to doubt, all that I once held as true

The last one was "Prey" by Michael Crichton and am now about half way through "Who They Were" by Robert C. Shaler.
Gregg
'05 Fender Highway 1 Strat
'07 Fender Lite Ash Tele
'70s Crown Gold Top LP copy
'04 Larrivee D-03 Mahogany
'05 Martin D-15 Rosewood
Washburn 5257 1/2

Just started "Woodstock Revisited" by Susan Reynolds.  Seemed like a good time to read it as it's been 40 years ago this month. 

Old Folky
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

My wife and I browsed through a little used thrift store in Utopia,Texas this morning. No Air conditioning in the area I was in , searching for a ''hidden treasure'' in the form of a 100 year old book or some rare one. This is how I found a 100 year old copy of "Pilgims Progress" 25 years ago.
      Anyway I found three nice books. Two were from the 60's but in top condition. Hardback and $1 each. The other was new and $5 (originally $19) My wife is reading one now and I'm reading one.
             Here are a few lines from "Wings of silver"

"No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting"

"The love of reading enables a man to exchange the wearisome hours of life, which come to every one,
             for hours of delight."

(The name of the little store is "Hidden Treasures") :donut

One more little quote form "Wings of silver" in the JOY chapter.

"Don't spend your days stringing and tuning your instrument--start making music now"

Quote from: dependan on August 25, 2009, 03:47:33 PM
   One more little quote form "Wings of silver" in the JOY chapter.

"Don't spend your days stringing and tuning your instrument--start making music now"

Clearly written in the days before internet forums where maybe one would tend the instrument rather than play instead of talking about the instrument rather than play!

Quote from: ryler on August 25, 2009, 07:25:34 PM
Clearly written in the days before internet forums where maybe one would tend the instrument rather than play instead of talking about the instrument rather than play!
It spoke to me. I just put my guitar back up.

Whatever Happened To The Human Race by Francis Schaeffer

What is "Whatever Happened to the Human Race" about?

Quote from: ryler on August 26, 2009, 09:04:05 AM
What is "Whatever Happened to the Human Race" about?
Abortion, Infanticide and Euthanasia and how they relate to culture in general. It was written in the early 80s.

***** If anyone is tempted to jump in with any political or religious jabs, don't. This is a great thread and I'm simply answering a question.

Creature,

Thanks for answering my question.  I am reading two books:  the fiction is The Book Thief, recommended by my MIL.  So far so good, but I'm early into it.  And the second is Positive Energy by Judith Orloff.  I kind of get the impression that Orloff may be the Dr. Phil/Oprah associated spiritualist to the stars, but nonetheless, I am finding her book a peaceful meditative start to my day every morning.

I did bail on the last two books I mentioned, the Updike and Wouk books.  Neither captured my heart quicky enough and I really wanted a book that was a refuge rather than an "ought".

"Gone are the days"   This is one I found at the little resale shop. It is really neat and it turns out to be written from a woman who grew up here in Utopia. Annalee Burns.
   This is a very good read of an America long gone now.

I've read several "ought" books myself, and while I do enjoy some of them, and while some are still on my list (Tolstoy et al) I like to just happen upon one and enjoy it.

Resale shops and old used bookstores are a haven for me. When I find one I want to settle in for hours. My wife sighs...

After reading several paragraphs from different chapters to my wife, she now has "Gone are the days"  I'll get to finish it later I guess.
                         What are "ought" books creature?

Quote from: dependan on August 26, 2009, 01:14:13 PM
  "Gone are the days"   This is one I found at the little resale shop. It is really neat and it turns out to be written from a woman who grew up here in Utopia. Annalee Burns.
   This is a very good read of an America long gone now.
The title intrigued me, so I googled... I'm not finding much about this book, but it does sound very interesting. Would you care to give a bit more info and a somewhat general review?

Quote from: dependan on August 26, 2009, 01:37:02 PM

What are "ought" books creature?
Books that you "ought to" read, like Moby Dick, The Grapes of Wrath, Treasure Island, anything by Shakespeare, et al. Books that are so famous everyone either has read them, or acts like they have.

:arrow