Pages: 1 ... 29 [30] 31 ... 97   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: books: what are you currently reading?  (Read 310493 times)
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: December 31, 2008, 12:55:20 AM »

Ryler:

Breakfast of Champions is an easy read. If you aren't sure, pick up "Man without a Country" a series of essays by Kurt Vonnegut that was published in 2005 and can be read in an evening. KV makes you think and uses humor along the way to get his point across. People either love him or hate him but keep in mind that he wrote "Slaughterhouse Five" in 1968 which was 23 years after he survived the fire bombing of Dresden, Germany. It never occurred to me that 145,000 people died in one night as a result of incendiary bombs dropped by the British Army until I read that book and it gives insight as to KV's outlook on life.

"Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the universe." Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut (1990)

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
Makarovii

Ignore
« Reply #581 on: January 18, 2009, 06:23:52 AM »

"We Were One, Shoulder To Shoulder With The Marines Who Took Fallujah" by Patrick K. O'Donnell.

Gregg
'05 Fender Highway 1 Strat
'07 Fender Lite Ash Tele
'70s Crown Gold Top LP copy
'04 Larrivee D-03 Mahogany
'05 Martin D-15 Rosewood
Washburn 5257 1/2
old folky

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: January 20, 2009, 01:42:30 PM »

Just started yet another Stephen King book called "Liseys' Story".  "Duma Key" was so so.  I might have to expand my horizens. 

Old Folky

'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos
craigb504

Ignore
« Reply #583 on: March 06, 2009, 12:34:12 AM »

Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything"
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #584 on: March 06, 2009, 01:26:32 AM »

The Road by Cormac McCarthy and Fiasco by Thomas Ricks.

TEH

Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Oahu Square Neck
ciscokid

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: March 06, 2009, 03:41:31 AM »

Team of Rivals - Doris Kearns Goodwin

Larrivee L03R
boat

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: March 06, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »

The Borne Legacy....  Actually 'listening' to it (Audible) - mostly on my motorcycle.  If that doesn't count - 'Younger Next Year' about benefits of exercise for us old guys.

L03R(e)
Taylor 314CE
Taylor 312CE
Skyver

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: March 07, 2009, 11:28:19 AM »

I just started reading Guitar Man: a six-string odyssey by Will Hodgkinson. This is an excellent book. Anyone who is interested in guitar should read this.

Larrivee L-03
Larrivee P-03
Gretsch 6120
Gibson ES-335
Fender Stratocaster
Yoyodyne

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: March 09, 2009, 03:24:12 AM »

I just started reading Guitar Man: a six-string odyssey by Will Hodgkinson. This is an excellent book. Anyone who is interested in guitar should read this.

Reading that book is what got me off my butt and back into playing guitar. (Which in turn led me to the purchase of my OM-02. Yay!)

2008 Larrivée L-03SO (Grevillea Robusta)
2008 Art & Lutherie Ami Almond
2000 Larrivée OM-02
1982 el cheapo (Fairmont) LP copy
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: March 09, 2009, 02:45:51 PM »

I just started reading Charolette's Web. Actually I found it in a box of books someone gave me for my daughter. I started reading it to her last night but she's only 3 and it's a liitle to wordy with not enough pictures in it for liking. I just finished another book so I decided to read it myself. I haven't read it since I was a kid.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: March 09, 2009, 03:54:06 PM »

1) "Growing A Beloved Community"

2) National Geographic Traveler..."Costa Rica"

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: May 16, 2009, 06:13:56 PM »

I'm in the middle of 'House of Leave'. It's a very recent book which is totally different for me since most of the fiction I read is from the early 20th century or earlier. It's an interesting book not in just the subject but in the way it's written. It's written from the perspective of a guy who finds the writings from another guy who was writing about a film documentary that doesn't exist and both guy's writings are included in the book along with all kinds of footnotes and such. It also takes liberties by writing words upside down, diagonal or even just one word a page at some points. As exciting as that sounds the book is just too in depth. The book will be covering a specific part in the documentary, like making a map for instance, then there will be articles and footnotes about how some ancient Greek named Minos made a map of something and then other footnotes on Minos, and so on. The basic subject is interesting but it seems the author is a little self indulgent to think all the footnotes and references are worth my attention.

$ongWriter

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: May 17, 2009, 04:15:18 AM »

Just finished the best book I've ever read...Atlas Shrugged...but, its' so real it's scary...it's what's going on right now and it was writen in 1957!!!!!! crying

Woolson Sig, Martin D-28 LSH,Larrivee L-05,Taylor 710CE, Gurian Jumbo, Composite Acoustic "Bluegrass"
"It all begins with a song"....(nsai)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: May 17, 2009, 01:32:18 PM »

Just started "A walk in the woods" by Bill Bryson.
                   He starts off with thoughts of the "Great Smoky Mountains" and "Shenandoah Valley".
   He also mentions John Muir in a quote, to " throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence" I just happen to have a "Muir Woods" 100th anniversary shirt on this morning as I read this first page.
   I was out in Muir Woods recently, it's a wonderful treasure in N. America. I'll be in the Appallacian Trail area in a few days from now, so I hope to visit a few of the spots mentioned in this book.
              I like it when the books I read are interwoven with the reality and practicality of my life.
               My wife read this book first and she loved it, she told me tidbits all the way through, so I'm looking forward to the read. Just need the time, sometimes I'll just start a book and keep reading through the night until I'm done. I'll let y'all know on this one.

I'm also reading "Days of heaven on earth" by A.B. Simpson. I highly recommend this daily devotional. Mr. Simpson wrote so clearly of things in the bible and life, that it feels intirely fresh and totally up to date, yet it was written about 100 years ago.

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Dotneck
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: May 17, 2009, 01:54:13 PM »

I love Muir Woods....wish I could visit once a week. The place seems spiritual to me...

Speaking of spiritual...Just started reading "The Faith Club" a book three women wrote about trying to reconcile their different religious beliefs. Interesting..and its a different kind of read for me...nobody has ever accused me of being a religious person....

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #595 on: May 17, 2009, 03:09:35 PM »

Hmmm... a nice thread resurrection. I like it.

I've been in classic mode. Dickens, Chesterton, Bronte, and I'm on my yearly stay on the island with Robinson Crusoe. I've probably learned more about life from that book than just about any other. There's something new and fresh with each visitation.
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: May 17, 2009, 04:47:42 PM »

Currently finishing "Merle's Door, Lessons from a Freethinking Dog" by Ted Kerasote (I got sidetracked) and "The Year of Magical Thinking" by Joan Didion (A true story by a woman who lost her husband and only child within the span of one year). Both are useful to help keep life's priorities in perspective.

P.S. I read "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson a couple of years ago and it is an enjoyable book. I have hiked parts of the AT in PA, MD, VA and NY. If I were independently wealthy, I would take five or six months and hike the whole thing but I have to intertwine work in between my hiking trips, bike rides, guitar playing, restoring my dad's Old Town Canoe and fishing in Canada (Next weekend and 9 days in June). I will have two guitars and several books along for both trips.

TEH

Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Oahu Square Neck
lyric_girl
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: May 18, 2009, 10:33:10 PM »

I just started reading Charolette's Web. Actually I found it in a box of books someone gave me for my daughter. I started reading it to her last night but she's only 3 and it's a liitle to wordy with not enough pictures in it for liking. I just finished another book so I decided to read it myself. I haven't read it since I was a kid.

Jeff,

that is one of my favourite books ever. I have it in my collection and reread it every now and then.

'09 Larrivee LS-03R #66 "Bella"
'07 Larrivee PV-09E "Holly"
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: May 18, 2009, 11:16:24 PM »

Gravity's Rainbow..Thomas Pynchon...
gschaps

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: May 19, 2009, 03:18:47 PM »

Non-fiction lately:  Hot, Flat and Crowded by Tom Friedman &  House of Cards by William D. Cohan.

Gary - RS-4 (for sale), Bourgeois VOM
Pages: 1 ... 29 [30] 31 ... 97   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: