books: what are you currently reading?

Started by Caleb, June 21, 2006, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: BenF on December 07, 2008, 11:41:40 AM
The forum guitar discussion is coming out in hardback next week!! :humour:

Good one Ben... I had to chuckle when I read your post.  I expected a serious book from you!  The Forum Git discussion is getting to you, mate!

Can't wait for the movie !!!  :laughin:

ricky

Can you believe that a couple weeks ago this thread had most all time replies and it's been open over 2 years. Now Forum git
thread is almost twice as large!
Quote from: jeremy3220 on December 12, 2008, 10:34:19 PM
This one is still more valuable.
yes
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on December 12, 2008, 10:29:57 PM
Can you believe that a couple weeks ago this thread had most all time replies and it's been open over 2 years. Now Forum git
thread is almost twice as large!

This one is still more valuable.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Amazing read so far. I'm not usually so taken with a new book--most seem derivative.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

I obtained a nice hardbound copy of "Call of the Wild and selected short stories" by Jack London for my Grandson.
I saw the short story title "To build a fire" and immediately I remembered the chill, of cold and death that I experienced when I read that story long ago. So I read it again, to be refreshed with the details of the cost of foolishness in a man's heart and actions.

I got a bit side-tracked while on a trip to the library.  I was browsing in the music instruction book section and found a book nearby titled Clapton's Gutiar by Allen St. John.  It's about a guy named Wayne Henderson, who's apparently a monster picker, but more importanlty a highly sought after luthier who built an acoustic guitar for Clapton (I'd never even heard of Henderson till then).  I started the book last night and didn't want to put it down.  Very well written and very, very interesting to those into not only the acoustic guitar, but the art of building it and collecting guitars.  The author is a guitarist and a collector of vintage acoustics.  HIGHLY recommend this book to all! 

I'm finishing up The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. He pretty much put's the arguement to rest, IMO. Just started re-reading The Glass Bead Game by Hesse.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

Just started another Stephen King novel, "Duma Key".  So far, a pretty good story, about something that could actually happen to someone.  But, I've only just begun reading it yesterday so who knows. 

Old Folky
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

Quote from: poki on June 22, 2006, 01:31:26 AM
it gets even creepier, 4/20 is my birthday and i also read She Said Yes several years ago, and to top it all off Adolf Hitler also shares this birthday which if i remember correct may have been at least part of the reason the shooting was planned for this day.........

I cut myself off in 1980, but I hear tell there's a code that includes something about your birthday with "friendly" in it. 
Sloppy books for me lately.  I just finished "The Client".  Kinda felt like Grisham wrote that one for the money. 

YMMV, of course.

Magwa - Coarsegold, CA
L70 on the way  :laughin:
D18-DC
Santa Cruz H13
Electrics that don't get much play
Mando - Octave Mando
Magwa Keener
Coarsegold, CA
=========
SC 000
CP Model "G"
Martin D18-DC

Hi,
I am reading   Ken Follett's   The Pillars of the Earth.  This is the 2nd time I have read it. I first read it about 15 years ago. It is a story and about master masons building cathedrals in England,in the 1100s.  The reason I am rereading the book is, I bought  Ken Follett's  new book,  World Without End.  It is a followup to Pillars. Apparently you do not have to have read Pillars,to read the  World.  I thought I would,as I really enjoyed the first book.   Be prepared for a long read, both books are over 900 pages long.

Ianc

I just got "With Strings Attached" by author Jonathan Kellerman for Christmas. It is a great coffee table book about his extensive (and primarily acoustic) guitar collection. You can pick it up on Amazon for less than $50. His collection of Martin, National, Gibson and Knutsen guitars is pretty awesome.

Just finished Breakfast of Champions (Kurt Vonnegut) and a re-read of The Dead Zone by Stephen King. Up next:

The Road by Cormac McCarthy and Merle's Door, Lessons from a Freethinking Dog by Ted Kerasote.

What did you think of Breakfast of Champions?    Vonnegut is one author I've always meant to read, but haven't yet.

I'm a big history buff so my reading material would bore the majority here. At the moment I'm reading "Iranian F-4 Phantom II Units in Combat" by Farzad Bishop and  "MiG-23/27 Flogger: Soviet Swing-Wing Fighter/Strike Aircraft" by Yefim Gordon.
Gregg
'05 Fender Highway 1 Strat
'07 Fender Lite Ash Tele
'70s Crown Gold Top LP copy
'04 Larrivee D-03 Mahogany
'05 Martin D-15 Rosewood
Washburn 5257 1/2

The Shack.

Prepare to have your theology challanged :winkin:

~ Ray ~  :donut2 :coffee :coffee :donut
Mcknight Slope Dred ~ '59 bearclaw Sitka / Wavy African Mahogany
Martin 000-18 Norman Blake
Martin 0-16NY
Martin 0-18K
Martin 0-17

Into The Wild  Jon Crankier   Fun read about a crazy guy.
  Next up is some Jane Goodall material. My son will be working for her in one weeks in Tanzania and get this.... living in her house on the coast of the Indian Ocean.  I am hoping to find some cheep tickets to be able to go visit him. He will be there for 6 months working on research for his Doctorate in GIS. The Goodall Institute is looking to get a GIS system up and running on there web page.
Cool stuff for sure.
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
" What we do in this life will resound throughout eternity"

www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quote from: Safricanplayer on December 28, 2008, 01:50:27 AM
The Shack.

Prepare to have your theology challanged :winkin:

~ Ray ~  :donut2 :coffee :coffee :donut
Strange.  This book keeps popping up everywhere.  It seems like every Christmas party I went to there was a copy of this book lying around somewhere. A woman I know who I thing pretty highly of recommended it simply because it was well written and an interesting take on things.  I'm not sure if I'll get to it, since my need-to-read pile is growing, and grew still larger with a few gift books for Christmas. 

I got 'Clapton's Guitar' for Christmas and I'm about 1/3 of the way through it. A book about building guitars the way Martin did it back in the day by a guy who's play old time music... there could not be anything more up my alley. I'm reading it while taking a break from The Brothers Karamozov, which I'm ashamed to say has taken me about six months to get half way through.

:donut :donut :donut
hope you don't mind me adding my two cents here, just finish Filthy Shakespeare, written by some Oxoford Profession, regarding the punning in Shakespearian lines and how they were understood in Elizabethian England.  I know it sounds dry, but it is hilarious, and a tad bit nasty.  My next book will be a biography of General Wade Hampton, which really sounds dry, but I have hopes, its signed by the author and was a gift.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on December 28, 2008, 11:57:28 AM
I got 'Clapton's Guitar' for Christmas and I'm about 1/3 of the way through it. A book about building guitars the way Martin did it back in the day by a guy who's play old time music... there could not be anything more up my alley. I'm reading it while taking a break from The Brothers Karamozov, which I'm ashamed to say has taken me about six months to get half way through.
I'm still not done with that one yet, but I've really enjoyed it.

John Piper's Future Grace... anything he writes is hard chewing. Quite substantive.

ricky